2012 Olympics

GB Tops Medal Table According To Wall Street Journal

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Jennifer1984 On July 20, 2022
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#1New Post! Aug 12, 2012 @ 06:05:38
I thought that title would make you read this..... <chortle>..!!

https://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/blogs/londonspy/team-gb-tops-losers-medal-table-according-americans-044151526.html

No strangers to finding unusual and creative ways to express the olympics "official" (US) medal table in order to manipulate the rankings, the Wall Street Journal has found a way to put Team GB at the "top" for the dubious ranking of "biggest losers" at London 2012.

Is this article published on closing weekend an attempt to rain on Britains spectacular hosting and performance in 2012..? Or is it just a piece of tongue-in-cheek fun..? You choose.

In fairness, it should be noted that because we are the host nation of these Games, Great Britain gets automatic entries into every event, regardless of whether the team or individuals are any good. The men's water polo team, for instance, hadn't qualified for a major international competition for 50 years. They were outscored 77-28 in their five defeats. While the policy results in more exposure for British athletes and spectators getting to see home athletes / teams at every event, it also leads to more last-place finishes, something the WSJ (unsurprisingly) doesn't seem to have taken account of.

Leon On March 30, 2024

San Diego, California
#2New Post! Aug 12, 2012 @ 07:01:39
I clicked on the title because it is fairly obvious just from a glance at the tables that GB won the per capita medal count, so I thought that is what the article would be referring to. But I see that the WSJ has been keeping a table on losers the past few Olympics for giggles, and it looks like GB has the prize this time around.

Interesting that GB has won all those medals from being allowed to participate more than anyone else is allowed, as I always thought the host country won an unusual number of medals due to home crowd motivation. Maybe it is still mostly that, because if you wouldn't otherwise qualify for an event, chances are you won't get a medal in it.
Jennifer1984 On July 20, 2022
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#3New Post! Aug 12, 2012 @ 07:27:00
@Leon Said

I clicked on the title because it is fairly obvious just from a glance at the tables that GB won the per capita medal count, so I thought that is what the article would be referring to. But I see that the WSJ has been keeping a table on losers the past few Olympics for giggles, and it looks like GB has the prize this time around.

Interesting that GB has won all those medals from being allowed to participate more than anyone else is allowed, as I always thought the host country won an unusual number of medals due to home crowd motivation. Maybe it is still mostly that, because if you wouldn't otherwise qualify for an event, chances are you won't get a medal in it.

All of GB's medal winners have been very quick to praise the crowds at all the events for their support.

I must say though, that the crowds have been highly supportive of ALL the athletes. I was in the Olympic Stadium on Thursday when Usain Bolt won the 200 metres, a race in which there was no British interest. The noise was deafening..!!

The atmosphere at all the venues has been astounding and I can tell you that even out in the Olympic Park the joviality, banter and good naturedness of everything has completely broken down all national boundaries. There was even a bunch of guys who brought along a rugby ball and persuaded Dutchmen.... Americans.... Norwegians... loads of people to throw the ball around and have some fun. Everybody was having a good time. I was tempted to join in myself..!!

But the losers table was good fun and nobody is taking it seriously. Just like they shouldn't really take the main medal table seriously. It's there and OK it's nice to see us doing well, but it doesn't matter. Not really.

Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs