13 Rock Stars Who

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3 ...92 93 94
ninozara On April 30, 2020

Cheshire, United Kingdom
#1396New Post! Jun 29, 2012 @ 18:03:38
@shinobinoz Said

What was she saying she was wearing that was spiritual to us? She said things that are modern & normal clothing. I never saw dorkysupergirl ever state she'd be wearing a headdress.

No, she said that she bought clothing from local First Nations people that they had made and sold, with beading etc. You don't seem to have any problem with that.

Then Leon asked if it would be ok for Outcast to buy similar items (not ceremonial, just traditional everyday wear that Dorky had bought) and you didn't think that was ok.

If both bought the items from First Nations people, simply because they liked the design - why is it OK for one and not the other?
shinobinoz On May 28, 2017
Stnd w Standing Rock

Wichita, Kansas
#1397New Post! Jun 29, 2012 @ 18:07:49
@ninozara Said

No, she said that she bought clothing from local First Nations people that they had made and sold, with beading etc. You don't seem to have any problem with that.

Then Leon asked if it would be ok for Outcast to buy similar items (not ceremonial, just traditional everyday wear that Dorky had bought) and you didn't think that was ok.

If both bought the items from First Nations people, simply because they liked the design - why is it OK for one and not the other?

Never said that. Clothing & beads are one thing. Headdress and ceremonial items should not be worn.
someone_else On August 30, 2012
Not a dude.

Deleted

American Alps, Washington
#1398New Post! Jun 29, 2012 @ 18:13:20
@shinobinoz Said

Never said that. Clothing & beads are one thing. Headdress and ceremonial items should not be worn.

So the only thing wrong with Outkast (aside from the horrid coloring) was the "headdresses?"

Welcome back BTW. How was your ceremony/celebration?...whichever it was, I've forgotten.
Stnd w Standing Rock

Wichita, Kansas
#1399New Post! Jun 30, 2012 @ 01:09:20
@someone_else Said

So the only thing wrong with Outkast (aside from the horrid coloring) was the "headdresses?"

Welcome back BTW. How was your ceremony/celebration?...whichever it was, I've forgotten.

The headdress is definitely wrong. Wearing traditional clothing without any knowledge or understanding of what or why of the culture is pretty ignorant but not as bad. Modern clothing is fashion (i.e. beads, colored feathers (that do represent particular cultural significance) t-shirts with Native designs etc). Portraying articles as being First Nation's made when it is not is against the law.

Ceremony was very spiritual and very hard. We had 4 days of purification & 4 days of ceremony. On the last day (remember the dancers had gone without food & water for 4 days) we started ceremony early (each day lasts from sunrise until sunset). Our medicine man warned us that we were in for a very very very hard day- somethings were requested that had to have some tremendous sacrifices paid for. So after we started and around 7 am our temperatures jumped from the 70's to over 100 degrees in a matter of seconds. I was at the drum singing and we all kept looking around to see what could possibly be causing this. My son-in-law later in the day was dragging skulls and made it around 4 times. They had 3 men sit on the skulls because he could not break free. He fought for over 30 minutes leaning at a 30% angle before he finally broke free.
Not a dude.

Deleted

#1400New Post! Jun 30, 2012 @ 01:23:38
@shinobinoz Said

The headdress is definitely wrong. Wearing traditional clothing without any knowledge or understanding of what or why of the culture is pretty ignorant but not as bad. Modern clothing is fashion (i.e. beads, colored feathers (that do represent particular cultural significance) t-shirts with Native designs etc). Portraying articles as being First Nation's made when it is not is against the law.

Ceremony was very spiritual and very hard. We had 4 days of purification & 4 days of ceremony. On the last day (remember the dancers had gone without food & water for 4 days) we started ceremony early (each day lasts from sunrise until sunset). Our medicine man warned us that we were in for a very very very hard day- somethings were requested that had to have some tremendous sacrifices paid for. So after we started and around 7 am our temperatures jumped from the 70's to over 100 degrees in a matter of seconds. I was at the drum singing and we all kept looking around to see what could possibly be causing this. My son-in-law later in the day was dragging skulls and made it around 4 times. They had 3 men sit on the skulls because he could not break free. He fought for over 30 minutes leaning at a 30% angle before he finally broke free.

I understand that the headdress is wrong. Was the clothing (for the outkast crew)?

I'm not going to pretend I understand that last part about your son in law and the skulls but it sounds like your ceremony was very rewarding.
Stnd w Standing Rock

Wichita, Kansas
#1401New Post! Jun 30, 2012 @ 05:19:24
@someone_else Said

I understand that the headdress is wrong. Was the clothing (for the outkast crew)?

I'm not going to pretend I understand that last part about your son in law and the skulls but it sounds like your ceremony was very rewarding.

It was a pretty dumb set that Outkast played. Headdress or no, the whole point is that everyone has been stealing First Nation's culture & bastardizing it to the point where it means nothing more than fashion.

You see- after doing ceremony for 16 of his 30 years my son-in-law still has no right to wear the headdress and other honor items that he has not yet earned.

That our land, our cultures, our languages & even our identity has also been stolen while it was illegal for us really pisses me & many off.

Yes- the Ceremony was very full filling. We were at the grounds of the first one at this reservation which was started when it was still illegal to do this ceremony- hell, the last one we were at 10 years ago and we had the FBI snooping around and taking pictures from sky & on the ground. We are not being touchy about this. We are being cautious.

I hope many of you here can see that.
Not a dude.

Deleted

#1402New Post! Jul 02, 2012 @ 13:58:14
@shinobinoz Said

It was a pretty dumb set that Outkast played. Headdress or no, the whole point is that everyone has been stealing First Nation's culture & bastardizing it to the point where it means nothing more than fashion.

That has been done with just about every culture on the planet.

@shinobinoz Said

You see- after doing ceremony for 16 of his 30 years my son-in-law still has no right to wear the headdress and other honor items that he has not yet earned.

That our land, our cultures, our languages & even our identity has also been stolen while it was illegal for us really pisses me & many off.

Yes- the Ceremony was very full filling. We were at the grounds of the first one at this reservation which was started when it was still illegal to do this ceremony- hell, the last one we were at 10 years ago and we had the FBI snooping around and taking pictures from sky & on the ground. We are not being touchy about this. We are being cautious.

I hope many of you here can see that.

That part makes it a little bit different. We have a hard time seeing that because for many of us, it was not illegal in our life times.
Stnd w Standing Rock

Wichita, Kansas
#1403New Post! Jul 03, 2012 @ 00:30:28
@someone_else Said

That has been done with just about every culture on the planet.

That part makes it a little bit different. We have a hard time seeing that because for many of us, it was not illegal in our life times.

Well thanks to President Jimmy Carter we were able to do something as simple as Sweat Lodge Ceremony when he & congress passed the Native American Religious Freedom Act in 1978. The FBI still comes out to Sun Dances that they have NO right to interfere in.
restoreone On January 30, 2022

, Ohio
#1404New Post! Jul 03, 2012 @ 00:48:55
The FBI will never forget AIM
Stnd w Standing Rock

Wichita, Kansas
#1405New Post! Jul 03, 2012 @ 00:50:08
@restoreone Said

The FBI will never forget AIM

Nor us them!
hoppy On August 27, 2013

#1406New Post! Jul 03, 2012 @ 01:24:27
@shinobinoz Said

Nor us them!

You lost. Get over it.
restoreone On January 30, 2022

, Ohio
#1407New Post! Jul 03, 2012 @ 01:40:50
@hoppy Said

You lost. Get over it.

no Hop we have now learned to fight like you

Lawyer up soon the next round is coming at you.
Stnd w Standing Rock

Wichita, Kansas
#1408New Post! Jul 03, 2012 @ 03:44:44
@restoreone Said

no Hop we have now learned to fight like you

Lawyer up soon the next round is coming at you.

That part we have learned. Sadly we are commanded to remain honest and give our word- something never returned by the alien invaders & their progeny.
anciensunited On April 02, 2013

, United Kingdom
#1409New Post! Jul 30, 2012 @ 06:37:34
@xLETHAL_VIXENx Said

I think all Americans should stop eating Hispanic food, it's insulting to my culture.

or you using american terms to describe your culture...
Stnd w Standing Rock

Wichita, Kansas
#1410New Post! Nov 22, 2012 @ 00:01:15
Two reasons why it is wrong to dress up like an Indian.
https://indiancountrytodaymedianetwork.com/2012/11/21/two-reasons-why-its-wrong-to-dress-up-like-an-indian-146985
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3 ...92 93 94

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs