"Get a Cell Phone!"

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3
Demented On January 31, 2024

, Australia
#31New Post! May 22, 2012 @ 08:52:03
@Eaglebauer Said

This is kind of along the lines of my thoughts on the whole Twitter culture phenomenon. People are constantly pestering me to get a Twitter account (which I don't have) or a Facebook account (which I do, but only so I can play games with friends on my phone...I haven't been on it in six months or more), and I won't do it. Because people don't need to know what I'm doing every five minutes. I hate the update mentality..."Now I'm walking down the street...now I'm at the store...not I'm taking a s***..." WHO f***ING CARES???? Even if you're a celebrity....who cares?

Mines an old Nokia 6310i,it doesn't have a colour screen,it can't take Photo's or Movies,but I can text on it but most importantly,it fits into a cradle in my car so "IF" someone rings me I can TALK to them hands free that alone save's me from getting a $300 fine .
Twitter,facebook,s*** I don't even want that crap on my Computer let alone a phone .

My youngest son Peter works for a place that does Blue Tooth,he tried very hard to get me to swap to it, I was out with him once and he tried to ring his wife several times and it dropped out,in the end I handed him my phone,he stopped on the side of the road and chucked me a filthy look because MY phone connected and didn't drop out he had it up to his ear .

All the mod cons they put in phones now only ensure they don't work properly .
Demented On January 31, 2024

, Australia
#32New Post! May 22, 2012 @ 08:53:11
@offbeat Said

yeah ..but if you didn't get that computer then we wouldn't have you here with us

I'm sure there are more than a select few who wouldn't miss me here
Elza On July 27, 2012

, Canada
#33New Post! May 22, 2012 @ 17:45:16
i want the rotary phone back!!!
BozieFozie On May 19, 2022
Life's a Beach

Paradise, Florida
#34New Post! May 22, 2012 @ 17:46:33
@Elza Said

You may get your wish when the grid goes black!!!!
Elza On July 27, 2012

, Canada
#35New Post! May 22, 2012 @ 17:50:10
@BozieFozie Said

You may get your wish when the grid goes black!!!!

We had a rotary out at our beach house until about two years ago. I was so sad when we had to get rid of it. Something about having to wait for each number as the dial turns.
Dark_Tink On December 30, 2018
<3 Boobie <3

, Canada
#36New Post! May 22, 2012 @ 17:54:07
@Elza Said

By best friends grandma still uses hers. Bell has tried over the years to get her to switch, but she politely tells them to piss off.

You only save about $2.80 a month if you have one, but it's less money in the pocket of BELL. https://www.cbc.ca/news/story/2010/02/02/consumer-touch-tone-service-bell.html
JR_Sanford On August 02, 2017

Portland (St. Johns), Oregon
#37New Post! May 22, 2012 @ 18:00:53
@Five_Tailed_Fox Said

I got this buddy. He's not really a friend, and I haven't even spent a great amount of time around him, but I do know him, and he feels like he can talk to me. Anyways, every time I see him, he's all, "Hey, did you get a cell phone yet?" or "Man, I don't know how you can not have a cell phone" or "You gotta get a cell phone, dude." And every time, I tell him, "I don't need a cell phone. I have a house phone, it works just fine, and I never go out anywhere, so I do not need a f***ing cell phone!

Yet he still says I've gotta have one.

Why would anyone have this mentality? Why is a cell phone something everyone has to have? I could understand if I was going places on my own, so I could have a way to get hold of people, but I'm never on my own. I get taken to work and picked up after work, and I never go anywhere else. Why the hell would I pay for a cell phone, and minutes for it, when I would never use it?

Fun story - I used to have a cell phone. Years and years ago, when I was in college. I stopped using it because whenever we bought minutes for it, the minutes would expire before I could use even half of them. We could buy the cheapest phone card possible, and in two or three months, I wouldn't have even used up an hour. Now, it'd be even worse. I might use ten minutes within a month. Maybe.

So, I don't need a cell phone. Having a cell phone, right now, would be a waste of money, plain and simple. But this guy doesn't seem to want to accept that. That pisses me off.

Another buddy of mine (the guy who originally knew the first guy) has expressed his agreement, that I do need a cell phone. You know what I think it really is, with both of them? They want to be able to text me. They want to be able to send me a random bit of text at any time and know that I will receive it. I tell them to call me, but I don't like to spend a lot of time on the phone (except with certain people). I don't think that matters much though, since neither of them has called me, at all, in months and months. They each have my Facebook page, but I don't check it constantly, because I don't care that much about it and anybody that would need to get hold of me has my phone number. These guys, they just want me to be like them. And they want to be able to reach me at any time. But I don't want that. I like not having the lines of communication open to every single person at every single moment.

If a person wants to talk to me or hang out with me, they can call me. But I'm not going to respond to stupid texts asking me about some pointless crap or asking wide-open questions like, "What are you up to?" Wait, that's not right, it'd be, "wut u up 2" Are you offering to spend time with me? Or are you just bored and hoping someone will respond? Another thing - I am sure as hell not going to spend time with a person if all they can do is type a few letters to ask me. If they cannot even call me, if they cannot do that very simple thing, then I'm not going to go to the trouble of being around them. If they can't make that effort, I'm not going to reward them with my presence. And that's not being arrogant, that's just acknowledging that I am worth some effort. If you have to send me a text to talk to me, if that is the only way you'll communicate with me, then you obviously don't care very much about knowing me.

In other words, I don't need a cell phone, and I certainly wouldn't get one just because somebody told me to. I'm smart, I understand that cell phones can be used to call people. Though I sometimes wonder if other people realize that.

If they are so bent on YOU having a cellular phone then why don't THEY put you on THEIR plan? Or, better yet, get one of those fake phones, then say you already have one. When they ask for your number say, "It's unlisted and I only give it out to my friends that respect my boundaries."

J.R.
Elza On July 27, 2012

, Canada
#38New Post! May 22, 2012 @ 18:43:08
@Dark_Tink Said

By best friends grandma still uses hers. Bell has tried over the years to get her to switch, but she politely tells them to piss off.

You only save about $2.80 a month if you have one, but it's less money in the pocket of BELL. https://www.cbc.ca/news/story/2010/02/02/consumer-touch-tone-service-bell.html

bell is what had us change too. i hate bell. i don't use bell in town but they are the only service out where our beach is so we have to use them.
DorkySupergirl On November 02, 2017

, Canada
#39New Post! May 22, 2012 @ 18:45:07
If he so insists on you having a cell phone maybe he can pay for it and your monthly bill.

So you do not want a cell phone, what business is it of his?

I have found it does not even have to be a cell phone with thee types of people. They insist people need to do the things they think are the things to be done.

Its like how I prefer shoes over sneakers, usually shoes with a heel. A couple people were always on my a** "you need sneakers" "omg, when are you going to buy a pair of sneakers" "why do you have to wear shoes with a heel all the time" What business is it of theirs when its my feet and I am not complaining about my feet. And I do have sneakers that I wear when I want to and when the situation calls for sneakers. People need lives if they are so concerned with what those around them are doing or not doing or having or not having.

Finally, I asked them point black, why are you so fascinated with what is on my feet and if you want me to have sneakers, I saw a nice pair of Puma's for 150$ that you can buy me. They have not mentioned my footwear again. Sometimes these people do not get you are not interested and your polite responses and do not get the hints you give to stop it so you need to be firm and tell them its none of their business or ask them to buy it for you. That shuts them up.
DorkySupergirl On November 02, 2017

, Canada
#40New Post! May 22, 2012 @ 18:46:10
@Elza Said

My mom has one in her closet. How much are you willing to pay for it?
Elza On July 27, 2012

, Canada
#41New Post! May 22, 2012 @ 18:47:01
@DorkySupergirl Said

My mom has one in her closet. How much are you willing to pay for it?

hahaha!!!!
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs