Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3
Rufus_Excalibur_ffolkes On May 15, 2012

Banned

My Castle, United Kingdom
#31New Post! May 15, 2012 @ 16:56:05
@jonnythan Said

Tell a member of the WBC that their practices and speech would all be illegal in the UK. Then tell them there's no effective disparity in freedom of speech between the two nations.

They will look at you like you're crazy, because you are saying things that are contradictory and stupid.

The Westboro Baptist Church is hardly a conventional example, and is being monitored within your own society, also, for its hate based anti gay agenda and activities. And rightly so. That is not normal freedom of speech, they are exercising 'freedom to abuse'.

Banned

#32New Post! May 15, 2012 @ 16:56:55
@jonnythan Said

By the way, saying that there is "no effective disparity on the normal population" is by itself ludicrous.

The "normal population" doesn't need freedom of speech because the majority/government will not want to punish them for their "normal" speech.

"Freedom of speech" is legally protected in order to protect speech that is not normal.

It is controversial speech that needs protection, not popular speech.

Not where it constitutes direct abuse of minority groups.
jonnythan On August 02, 2014
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#33New Post! May 15, 2012 @ 16:57:26
@Rufus_Excalibur_ffolkes Said

The Westboro Baptist Church is hardly a conventional example, and is being monitored within your own society, also, for its hate based anti gay agenda and activities. And rightly so. That is not normal freedom of speech, they are exercising 'freedom to abuse'.

Who cares about "conventional"?

I'm not talking about "conventional" or "normal." I'm talking about thousands upon thousands of people in the US who exercise a freedom of speech not permissible in the UK.

Yet you say there's no "effective" difference. Heh.

Banned

#34New Post! May 15, 2012 @ 17:03:52
@jonnythan Said

Who cares about "conventional"?

I'm not talking about "conventional" or "normal." I'm talking about thousands upon thousands of people in the US who exercise a freedom of speech not permissible in the UK.

Yet you say there's no "effective" difference. Heh.

Like I said, they are being monitored by your own society also, with good reason, because they are abusing the concept of free speech in order to attempt to repress others by dogmatic rhetorical incitement. That is not comparable to normal political freedom of speech, but constitutes direct abuse of minority rights.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs