AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2
chaski On about 23 hours ago
Stalker

Tree at Floydgirrl's Window,
#16New Post! Apr 29, 2012 @ 19:22:46
@RapierMedia Said

Think about this very carefully.

What if such a situation arose where every political party in the UK got so bad with taxes, discipline, immigration etc?

What if it got so bad that the time the next general election comes around, no single resident in Britain ever votes for any political party again?

What if no government was in power because nobody ever votes for any party again?

What would happen to Britain?

Another Monty Python movie...but real life this time.
Susan1 On May 04, 2012

Deleted

, United Kingdom
#17New Post! Apr 29, 2012 @ 23:13:14
Recent history shows that the Army usually takes over in that scenario.
We'd be ruled by some General tinpot.
jonnythan On August 02, 2014
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#18New Post! Apr 29, 2012 @ 23:18:15
Zero votes?

No one would even vote for themselves?

bob_the_fisherman On January 30, 2023
Anatidaephobic

, Angola
#19New Post! Apr 29, 2012 @ 23:26:30
@GeneticAnomaly Said

And we would all have to eat Countrywide butter, not just the farmers and their wives!

Wait... so, in England at the moment, you have to eat the farmer and his wife just to get butter? I always knew you Brits were a weird bunch
ninozara On April 30, 2020

Cheshire, United Kingdom
#20New Post! Apr 29, 2012 @ 23:29:49
Hmmm, I'm assuming that there would be no elected MP's, and the House of Commons would be empty.

I think the House of Lords would take over while the parties tried to figure out how to get votes, and another election would take place. The civil service would continue running things as they had been done until a new government was eventually formed.

However, if everyone got so annoyed they voted for ridiculous parties (like the Monster Raving Loony Party) THAT is when the fun would begin
Anatidaephobic

, Angola
#21New Post! Apr 29, 2012 @ 23:47:58
@RapierMedia Said

What if such a situation arose where every political party in the UK got so bad with taxes, discipline, immigration etc?

What if it got so bad that the time the next general election comes around, no single resident in Britain ever votes for any political party again?

What if no government was in power because nobody ever votes for any party again?

I think guys like this muppet;

Would unleash these muppets;

Anatidaephobic

, Angola
#22New Post! Apr 29, 2012 @ 23:53:51
And they would probably fight with these muppets;

It seems that nature abhors a vacuum, and humans especially abhor a power vacuum. It seems that only blood can fill that vacuum...
fractal7221 On November 08, 2012

Hubbard, Ohio
#23New Post! Apr 30, 2012 @ 21:38:35
@jonnythan Said

Zero votes?

No one would even vote for themselves?

I was going to ask the same question. I won an election a few years ago as a Republican Committee Member for the township I lived in at the time. There was no one on the ballot and I won with 3 write ins, one from me and one from each of my parents.

I can't imagine the entire government not voting for themselves along with at least their immediate family.
Jennifer1984 On July 20, 2022
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#24New Post! Apr 30, 2012 @ 21:44:35
@RapierMedia Said

An unlikely scenario, and I might point out that the politicians, and their wives and families have a vote too, so it's unlikely there would ever be no votes cast at all.

There is no minimum number of votes required to be returned to Parliament. If the Blue candidate voted for himself, and his five family members also voted for him, to the red candidates vote and his four family members, then blue would be returned by six votes to five.

I bet red would still ask for a re-count, too..!!

It's an interesting topic, but unrealistic.

But just to play the game, what do I think would happen..?

If there really was no government elected, the Queen would simply ask the previous Prime Minister to resume the previous government until the mess got sorted out. At the end of the day, it is Her Majesty's parliament, and they govern on her behalf.

Jennifer1984 On July 20, 2022
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#25New Post! Apr 30, 2012 @ 21:46:16
The Lords couldn't form a government. They are unelected representatives.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs