The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums: Religion & Philosophy:
Philosophy

Bertrand Russell is the most overrated philosopher of all time.

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2
jmo On April 29, 2021
Beruset af Julebryg

Yorkshire, United Kingdom
#16New Post! Apr 29, 2012 @ 18:17:17
@galasTAray Said

Yeah, I will admit that. But he was a very intelligent, very logical man with very creative ideas. Without doubt, he is one of the greatest philosophers of all time.

I disagree completely, though it's hard to define what makes someone one of the 'greatest philosophers' of all time.
sister_of_mercy On March 11, 2015

London, United Kingdom
#17New Post! Apr 29, 2012 @ 18:20:57
@jmo Said

A tiny bit? God at my uni everyone was obsessed with him until about half way through third year. Couldn't move for people talking about him, and quoting him and going on and on and on about him.

Finally people got to third year and got over him. 2 and a half years of tutorials where Nietzsche was quoted in every class no matter how irrelevant he was to the discussion.

*shudders* One of few things I do not miss about being a philosophy student.

It's not as bad at my uni but you do get a few who fanboy over their Heidegger after Nietzsche lectures. I think it's the aphorisms that make him so popular, easy to get into conversation and makes you sound a little bit smarter. Plus he was a moody bastard

I'm writing my dissertation on him next year, looking forward to it as I haven't properly studied him in any depth yet.
MAW On October 31, 2012

Deleted

Stockport, United Kingdom
#18New Post! Apr 29, 2012 @ 18:23:15
@galasTAray Said

I don't think it's really all that pointless. If you use examples and logic to support your arguments, why not debate which philosopher makes more sense? That's what philosophy is all about. Coming to truths, studying, debating, analyzing, et cetera.

There's lots of other way more pointless things you could be doing. Take planking, for example.

Thanks for the offer but I'll give it a miss. I've no interst in philosophy at all. Seems a really dry topic.
boobagins On August 03, 2013
SPICY HOT TAMALES

Astral Weeks, Florida
#19New Post! Apr 29, 2012 @ 18:32:51
I hate Nietzsche too. If anything, he's one of the most abused philosophers out there. People twist his words to serve their purposes so bad it's disheartening, though I'm not a fan of his work in it's untwisted forms either.

Though I would think Frued was/is the most overrated.
jmo On April 29, 2021
Beruset af Julebryg

Yorkshire, United Kingdom
#20New Post! Apr 29, 2012 @ 18:33:34
@sister_of_mercy Said

I'm writing my dissertation on him next year, looking forward to it as I haven't properly studied him in any depth yet.

Oh dear.

Then again I did mine on Hobbes and I think I'm the only person alive who actually likes Hobbes.
sister_of_mercy On March 11, 2015

London, United Kingdom
#21New Post! Apr 29, 2012 @ 18:45:46
@jmo Said

Oh dear.

Then again I did mine on Hobbes and I think I'm the only person alive who actually likes Hobbes.

Well admittedly it won't just be on him, there'll be some Kierkegaard and Sartre as well if all goes to plan.

I don't like Hobbes, but I only did a bit of him in political philosophy last year, found it hard to understand.
Five_Tailed_Fox On June 16, 2012

Cottontown, Tennessee
#22New Post! May 03, 2012 @ 12:00:21
My favorite has been David Hume from the first moment I heard about him.

People that know me and Hume (which is all of one person ) have said that it makes a lot of sense.
swarupmondal On August 13, 2017

Asansol, India
#23New Post! Sep 08, 2016 @ 07:15:11
At least you consider Bertrand Russell to be a philosopher. I don't even consider him to be a philosopher, but someone who studied philosophy and had his opinions about the philosophies of other philosophers. Quite the same way, anyone who has knowledge about the research of other scientists isn't a scientist.
When Alan Watts asked him, "What is philosophy?", Russell replied, "Philosophy is speculating about things that are not yet within the framework of evidential knowledge".
He also said, "Philosophy is a servant of science".

His philosophical outlook lacked depth.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs