Soccer

Charlton Athletic 1st Division Champs

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
GeneticAnomaly On May 25, 2020
Marvellous, simply m

, United Kingdom
#1New Post! Apr 21, 2012 @ 17:53:51
Charlton Athletic Football Club were confirmed as First Division champions today. They will play in the Championship next season.

It's been a few years since we played Premier League football and our fall from those heady heights has been rapid. But today, aided by a financially committed boardroom, an able manager in Chris Powell, together with a capable and talented squad, we have taken a great leap forward.

Many thanks to Chris, his squad and the board. Because of their efforts my Saturdays have been much more enjoyable.

Bring on next season and a solid mid-table finish!
DiamondGeezer On April 27, 2012

Banned

Fawlty Towers, United Kingdom
#2New Post! Apr 23, 2012 @ 13:33:35
@GeneticAnomaly Said

Charlton Athletic Football Club were confirmed as First Division champions today. They will play in the Championship next season.

It's been a few years since we played Premier League football and our fall from those heady heights has been rapid. But today, aided by a financially committed boardroom, an able manager in Chris Powell, together with a capable and talented squad, we have taken a great leap forward.

Many thanks to Chris, his squad and the board. Because of their efforts my Saturdays have been much more enjoyable.

Bring on next season and a solid mid-table finish!

One more win and they will become one of the few elite clubs to complete the season with a total of 100 league points.

Well done 'The Add***s'.
TheMightyOz On March 17, 2015
Awooga!

Luton, United Kingdom
#3New Post! Apr 23, 2012 @ 14:58:18
First division? Surely League One is the 3rd division. As a Luton fan I should know, we won the first one under the "League One" name. And now look where we are - 5th in the Conference!
waldo On August 02, 2016
I don't care

lancaster, United Kingdom
#4New Post! Apr 23, 2012 @ 15:29:10
@TheMightyOz Said

First division? Surely League One is the 3rd division. As a Luton fan I should know, we won the first one under the "League One" name. And now look where we are - 5th in the Conference!

Thats a mighty fall from grace. Hope you can get out of that league.
They say the Championship is the hardest league to get out of, as I am finding out. As a West Ham fan we have a big game tonight against Leicester City. If we win we will be Two points behind Southampton with one to play. I think we will be in the play offs where anyone could win the last promotion slot.
COME ON YOU IRONS.
DiamondGeezer On April 27, 2012

Banned

Fawlty Towers, United Kingdom
#5New Post! Apr 24, 2012 @ 13:21:40
Charlton would know all about how tense play off finals can be. They were involved in the greatest play off final of them all, against Sunderland.

It finished 4 - 4 after extra time, and they won on penalties by something like 9 -8.

Actually, thinking about it, Charlton were involved in the first ever play off final, then as a first division team (now the premiership). At first, it was the 3rd, 4th and 5th team in div 2, and the 3rd from bottom team in Div 1.

Charlton played Leeds in the final, and it went to a replay with Charlton winning 2- 1 in extra time to stay in the old first division.

It seems impossible to believe the play offs have been around that long.

Then there was 1999, when Man City and Gillingham played off at Wembley to get out of the third tier (now league one). Gillingham were ahead in the last minute of extra time and somehow City scored two late goals to beat them.

Even then, City were trumped by United. City got promoted that year, but United won the Champions League, Premiership and FA Cup. Life sucks doesn't it?

Gillingham were then managed by Tony Pulis, now the manager of Stoke, who lost last year's FA Cup final to Man City. He must bloody hate the sight of them.

Good luck in the play offs, hammers fan. I just hope it doesn't get too tense for you.
waldo On August 02, 2016
I don't care

lancaster, United Kingdom
#6New Post! Apr 24, 2012 @ 13:25:00
@DiamondGeezer Said

Good luck in the play offs, hammers fan. I just hope it doesn't get too tense for you.

Thanks Diamond. But every game West Ham play makes me nervous. lol
Jennifer1984 On July 20, 2022
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#7New Post! May 08, 2012 @ 07:22:51
@waldo Said

Thanks Diamond. But every game West Ham play makes me nervous. lol

West Ham cruised past Cardiff City to make it to the Championship play off final at Wembley. Good luck, Hammers.

Charlton finished their league programme on Saturday with a 2-1 win over Hartlepool and finish with 101 league points, which equals the record for that division.

Nothing happened for Millwall or Crystal Palace this season, but overall, I'd say it was a good year for South / East London football.
Jennifer1984 On July 20, 2022
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#8New Post! May 12, 2012 @ 15:00:35
Some very 'appy Add***s in this pic.

Chris Powell fully deserves to join in the celebration. He's done a fantastic job in his first season.

Uploaded at ImageFra.me

Uploaded at ImageFra.me
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs