UK Elections & Politics

Newspaper and Political Allegiance

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
jmo On April 29, 2021
Beruset af Julebryg

Yorkshire, United Kingdom
#1New Post! Apr 02, 2012 @ 21:39:52
Newspapers in the UK seem to be largely biased down different political alleigances, but does the paper you read reflect your political views?

Despite being a left-leaning liberal Labour voter I generally by the Telegraph, which is often considered the right-wing paper. I do this simply as I find it has the most extensive political coverage and although I disagree with the editorial line quite often, I find it interesting and more about opinions I disagree with based on fact rather than the Guardian which tends to have opinions I agree with based on complete rubbish and speculation.

I do occasionally by the Guardian but I've found I've been drifting further and further away from it recently as sometimes it makes me cringe with embarrassment at what 'my' side are saying.
treebee On April 13, 2015
Government Hooker

London, United Kingdom
#2New Post! Apr 02, 2012 @ 21:42:40
I dont buy any papers. I tended to lean toward the Guardian but over the past few years they replaced everyone with f***wits.
jmo On April 29, 2021
Beruset af Julebryg

#3New Post! Apr 02, 2012 @ 21:44:38
@treebee Said

I dont buy any papers. I tended to lean toward the Guardian but over the past few years they replaced everyone with f***wits.

I used to regularly buy the Guardian but now it just seems a bit silly a lot of the time. I sort of want to agree with it but just can't agree with certain sudden leaps of logic they seem to consistently make at the moment.
treebee On April 13, 2015
Government Hooker

London, United Kingdom
#4New Post! Apr 02, 2012 @ 21:46:46
@jmo Said

I used to regularly buy the Guardian but now it just seems a bit silly a lot of the time. I sort of want to agree with it but just can't agree with certain sudden leaps of logic they seem to consistently make at the moment.

journalism has really gone downhill, it was never a noble profession but in the past 10 years its speculation and opinion.
sister_of_mercy On March 11, 2015

London, United Kingdom
#5New Post! Apr 02, 2012 @ 21:49:20
I like the Independent, my parents buy the mini I version of it. I predominantly read the Guardian online though. It's not perfect admittedly and I don't agree with all of it, but I like he writing style and the kinds of features they have.

Not sure what my political allegiance is though, don't really associate with any particular party.
jmo On April 29, 2021
Beruset af Julebryg

#6New Post! Apr 02, 2012 @ 22:09:01
@sister_of_mercy Said

I like the Independent, my parents buy the mini I version of it. I predominantly read the Guardian online though. It's not perfect admittedly and I don't agree with all of it, but I like he writing style and the kinds of features they have.

Not sure what my political allegiance is though, don't really associate with any particular party.

I don't think most papers do really, apart from the Telegraph always being Tory, the Mirror always being Labour and the Sun always being whoever is popular at the time.

The rest are more vague political stances really, Guardian being left-liberal but not really Labour or Lib Dem supporting, Indie being liberal possibly slightly left but again not supportive of the Lib Dems particularly, Times right-wing but not necessarily Tory etc.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs