Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3 ...22 23 24
Cinnamon On April 21, 2012

USA,
#346New Post! Mar 09, 2012 @ 19:41:08
@jonnythan Said

Yeah? What are my biases?

I'd love to 'discuss' that with you, Johnny, but you know it would be a TOS violation.
shinobinoz On May 28, 2017
Stnd w Standing Rock

Wichita, Kansas
#347New Post! Mar 10, 2012 @ 05:21:50
@Cinnamon Said

I'd love to 'discuss' that with you, Johnny, but you know it would be a TOS violation.

What a cop out. Just say you don't know of any and let's get on with it!
El_Tino On October 12, 2023
booyaka!

Albuquerque, New Mexico
#348New Post! Mar 10, 2012 @ 07:28:32
@Handsome Said

It's not really about Austria as a geographical entity. It is a school of economic thought that was mapped out there buy guys like Ludwig von Mises and Fredrick Hayek.

Well, their untested* ideas simply must be better than ours. Let's just jump in with both feet.

*They've probably been tested somewhat by academics and found to be generally unsatisfactory.
EoWyN On April 01, 2015
Lucky Me!

Deleted

Under your bed,
#349New Post! Mar 10, 2012 @ 08:15:00
I should really drop that water melon huh?

Splat on the ground and people run away
Handsome On July 09, 2014

Squaresville,
#350New Post! Mar 12, 2012 @ 13:09:04
@El_Tino Said

Well, their untested* ideas simply must be better than ours. Let's just jump in with both feet.

*They've probably been tested somewhat by academics and found to be generally unsatisfactory.

Because academics know how things work in the real world? Occupancy of the Ivory Tower doesn't lead to much practical success, at least in "social sciences" (which is a true oxymoron).

Besides, these ideas are not "untested." There's a correlation between economic freedom and prosperity.

We really need to examin our assumptions. Just because we've known no other way doesn't mean our system is good or efficient.
booyaka!

Albuquerque, New Mexico
#351New Post! Mar 12, 2012 @ 23:48:09
@Handsome Said

Because academics know how things work in the real world? Occupancy of the Ivory Tower doesn't lead to much practical success, at least in "social sciences" (which is a true oxymoron).

Besides, these ideas are not "untested." There's a correlation between economic freedom and prosperity.

We really need to examin our assumptions. Just because we've known no other way doesn't mean our system is good or efficient.

A correlation isn't a test, nor does it establish causation. Maybe prosperity leads to economic freedom.
Handsome On July 09, 2014

Squaresville,
#352New Post! Mar 13, 2012 @ 17:26:57
@El_Tino Said

A correlation isn't a test, nor does it establish causation. Maybe prosperity leads to economic freedom.

I never said that correlation was a test. You can't conduct a true scientific test with the world's economy, hence my aversion to social science. I said that there are nations that are nearer the Austrian end of the spectrum, and they also tend to be more prosperous.

However the cause and effect shakes out, it's manifestly clear that as a rule of thumb economic freedom out performs central planning.

But even more than impact on GDP, economic freedom is a right of which individuals should not be deprived without serious reasons.

So, even places where Keynesian economics isn't a total failure, like northern Europe, it's still morally imperative that people be given more freedom to operate in the market as they see fit.
booyaka!

Albuquerque, New Mexico
#353New Post! Mar 13, 2012 @ 20:36:25
@Handsome Said

I never said that correlation was a test. You can't conduct a true scientific test with the world's economy, hence my aversion to social science. I said that there are nations that are nearer the Austrian end of the spectrum, and they also tend to be more prosperous.

However the cause and effect shakes out, it's manifestly clear that as a rule of thumb economic freedom out performs central planning.

But even more than impact on GDP, economic freedom is a right of which individuals should not be deprived without serious reasons.

So, even places where Keynesian economics isn't a total failure, like northern Europe, it's still morally imperative that people be given more freedom to operate in the market as they see fit.

So, let's look at the most propserous nations https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_GDP_(PPP)_per_capita

Are Qatar, Luxembourg, Norway, Singapore, Brunei, Hong Kong, the UAE and the US known for following the views of the Austrian economists? Are they known for being on the Gold Standard? Is there Hayeckian fervor sweeping Qatar?
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3 ...22 23 24

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs