AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3 ...8 9 10
JessieJfan On May 09, 2012

Banned

Hockley, United Kingdom
#136New Post! May 09, 2012 @ 00:06:54
@restoreone Said

I am of the wolf clan.

So - lost the argument so resort to stupid silly stuff.

Keep going, son.
restoreone On January 30, 2022

, Ohio
#137New Post! May 09, 2012 @ 00:08:57
@JessieJfan Said

So - lost the argument so resort to stupid silly stuff.

Keep going, son.

You will figure it out some day.
JessieJfan On May 09, 2012

Banned

Hockley, United Kingdom
#138New Post! May 09, 2012 @ 00:09:33
@restoreone Said

You will figure it out some day.

I won't even bother, lol. Better things to do.
Corey On January 25, 2022

Sacramento, California
#139New Post! Feb 10, 2013 @ 08:35:21
I just checked the school record. History is being taught to California students.

Corey.
Pcptrvanion On November 10, 2014

Howe, Texas
#140New Post! Feb 10, 2013 @ 19:48:00
A lot of the so-called "history" being taught in public schools is nothing more than political propaganda.

- slavery was the cause of the civil war
Truth is that slavery was about as much of an issue as a pinch of salt is to a two-gallon stew. It WAS a factor but a very minor one.
Kids are not taught that there were Northern Slave States even after the war.
They are not taught that most Southerners did NOT own slaves and opposed the entire institution.

- many schools still teach that the United States has never lost a war.
Over 220 armed conflicts and we've had our butts handed to us several times.

- many schools still teach that the United States has never been invaded.
More hogwash. Even if you don't count the Japanese invasion of Alaska in World War II (because it was a territory and not a state) this country has been invaded repeatedly.

IF North American Aborigines are mentioned at all...the story is short and sanitized. Kids are not taught that up to the 1970's the government was still forcibly taking children from their parents and shipping them off for re-education.
"Reservation Schools" where children were punished for speaking the language of their parents and taught that "Tradition is the ENEMY of Progress".

True history is NOT taught in public schools.
DiscordTiger On December 04, 2021
The Queen of Random

Administrator

Emerald City, United States (g
#141New Post! Feb 10, 2013 @ 20:01:45
@Pcptrvanion Said

A lot of the so-called "history" being taught in public schools is nothing more than political propaganda.

- slavery was the cause of the civil war
Truth is that slavery was about as much of an issue as a pinch of salt is to a two-gallon stew. It WAS a factor but a very minor one.
Kids are not taught that there were Northern Slave States even after the war.
They are not taught that most Southerners did NOT own slaves and opposed the entire institution.

- many schools still teach that the United States has never lost a war.
Over 220 armed conflicts and we've had our butts handed to us several times.

- many schools still teach that the United States has never been invaded.
More hogwash. Even if you don't count the Japanese invasion of Alaska in World War II (because it was a territory and not a state) this country has been invaded repeatedly.

IF North American Aborigines are mentioned at all...the story is short and sanitized. Kids are not taught that up to the 1970's the government was still forcibly taking children from their parents and shipping them off for re-education.
"Reservation Schools" where children were punished for speaking the language of their parents and taught that "Tradition is the ENEMY of Progress".

True history is NOT taught in public schools.

Yeah, the textbooks are made to suit Texas state curriculum for the most part, them being the largest purchasers. So things tend to get a little skewed to what people elected to school boards in Texas want to teach, and many of these people are not teachers or historians, they have their own agendas.
Texas textbooks are only balanced out by California, though with their money issues around education, they are becoming less of purchasing force in the supply and demand of textbooks.

The whole situation makes for some issues in our education system.

Howe, Texas
#142New Post! Feb 10, 2013 @ 20:16:46
@DiscordTiger Said

Yeah, the textbooks are made to suit Texas state curriculum for the most part, them being the largest purchasers. So things tend to get a little skewed to what people elected to school boards in Texas want to teach, and many of these people are not teachers or historians, they have their own agendas.
Texas textbooks are only balanced out by California, though with their money issues around education, they are becoming less of purchasing force in the supply and demand of textbooks.

Try again.
If there were a kernel of truth in your statement then the text books of this land would be very anti-North, anti-Left, and pro-Constitution.
Since that is NOT the case we can all safely assume that your assertion that text books are written for a Texas audience is hokum.
They are written to promote ignorance which suits the Democrat agenda perfectly. An informed public would NEVER have elected the administration that we are currently enduring.
The Queen of Random

Administrator

#143New Post! Feb 10, 2013 @ 20:47:10
@Pcptrvanion Said

Try again.
If there were a kernel of truth in your statement then the text books of this land would be very anti-North, anti-Left, and pro-Constitution.
Since that is NOT the case we can all safely assume that your assertion that text books are written for a Texas audience is hokum.
They are written to promote ignorance which suits the Democrat agenda perfectly. An informed public would NEVER have elected the administration that we are currently enduring.

Really, I find a lot of people that say they are pro-constitution to only be that way only when it's an issue they agree with.
Like freedom of religion is great, as long as you teach intelligent design is great and that evolution theory is hookey.

Howe, Texas
#144New Post! Feb 10, 2013 @ 21:10:56
@DiscordTiger Said

Really, I find a lot of people that say they are pro-constitution to only be that way only when it's an issue they agree with.
Like freedom of religion is great, as long as you teach intelligent design is great and that evolution theory is hookey.

Public schools in Texas teach the Constitution AND the theory of evolution.

The history texts (usually written up North somewhere) tend to be very sanitized and limited in their scope.
The Queen of Random

Administrator

#145New Post! Feb 10, 2013 @ 21:26:12
@Pcptrvanion Said

Public schools in Texas teach the Constitution AND the theory of evolution.

The history texts (usually written up North somewhere) tend to be very sanitized and limited in their scope.

The great white north? or just south of that north?
You make it sound like north is a bad thing.
twilitezone911 On March 25, 2019

Saint Louis, Missouri
#146New Post! Feb 11, 2013 @ 01:38:43
i remember in high school in 70's, i barely remember that my american history class talked our textbook that we used at the time. i liked the book because it had pictures in it. in my senior year, our class discussed how limited the textbook was. because before american revolution to korean war. my class want to leaned more vietnam ( because just end ), i really didn't understand that well at time. i was interested with passion about history, a couple of years ago, i watched " roots " for the first time on tv, and that was a masterpiece. outside of all my classes, i read a lot of books that i could get hands on. my teachers did their best to teached me, but i had problems with comprehend with reading. that why i read a lot on any subject that interest me. in history, even after i graduated from high school for a year, i read a lot on civil war, and world war 2. anyway back to the class, we had a long discussions ( that i can't remember ). what i remember we thought that the textbook didn't provide emotions how people felt at the time of history event, it had facts and dates. how do we as young people related these history events. we agreed it was boring to learned history, if some ways that we can't related. our teacher agreed with us. i remember he told us that he enjoyed discussed anything in his class. he agreed that the textbook was outdated in so many ways, he forced to teached us, because of school's policy. i haven't read all of this thread, i hopefully that school's policies changed for the better. i hope tfs member's children are being taught both sides of our so-called " american history " today. if get your child to read for themselves, and make their own minds up.
boxer On June 16, 2016

Deleted
Banned

, Zimbabwe
#147New Post! Feb 11, 2013 @ 06:55:22
@Pcptrvanion Said

Try again.

I love that you're telling a librarian that she's wrong about a book.
Next you'll be teaching me about cheese.
thequietman On August 29, 2018
Scapegrace

Rusty Bullet Hole, Washington
#148New Post! Feb 11, 2013 @ 07:20:04
@DiscordTiger Said

Actually, those idiots on the Texas School Board lost that power to re-write history books in 2011, and lost their ass-backwards Far-Right majority in the 2012 elections.

PBS

@DiscordTiger Said

The great white north? or just south of that north?
You make it sound like north is a bad thing.

To Texans, anything outside of Texas is a bad thing.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3 ...8 9 10

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs