Biology

Could any animal develop intelligence?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2
Silly_Me On April 22, 2020

In a cave, United Kingdom
#16New Post! Feb 14, 2012 @ 22:49:53
My cat is a smarty pants, I actually caught him open my kitchen cupboard today Not just any old cupboard, OH NO! it was the cupboard with the cat food and cat treats in, then he promptly helped himself for weeks I wondered why that cupboard was often open, I thought it was the kids doing it
hoppy On August 27, 2013

#17New Post! Feb 14, 2012 @ 22:57:03
No!
sister_of_mercy On March 11, 2015

London, United Kingdom
#18New Post! Feb 14, 2012 @ 23:00:48
@Silly_Me Said

My cat is a smarty pants, I actually caught him open my kitchen cupboard today Not just any old cupboard, OH NO! it was the cupboard with the cat food and cat treats in, then he promptly helped himself for weeks I wondered why that cupboard was often open, I thought it was the kids doing it

Yeah but you have to wonder just how much of that was influenced by humans. I was thinking the same thing about dogs as my dog is scarily clever at times, but then if we weren't around they'd have to pick up behaviour cues differently.

As far as the OP goes, I think it's possible. Maybe an animal within the ape family. It depends on your definition of intelligence though. Does that mean language? Self awareness? Reasoning skills? All of the above? It's quite a broad concept I think and depending on what criteria you use there are already some animals who are fairly intelligent.
Silly_Me On April 22, 2020

In a cave, United Kingdom
#19New Post! Feb 14, 2012 @ 23:06:25
@sister_of_mercy Said

Yeah but you have to wonder just how much of that was influenced by humans. I was thinking the same thing about dogs as my dog is scarily clever at times, but then if we weren't around they'd have to pick up behaviour cues differently.

As far as the OP goes, I think it's possible. Maybe an animal within the ape family. It depends on your definition of intelligence though. Does that mean language? Self awareness? Reasoning skills? All of the above? It's quite a broad concept I think and depending on what criteria you use there are already some animals who are fairly intelligent.

I think my cat was influenced by the idea that he deserved a treat
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs