Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3 ...6 7 8
MadCornishBiker On January 14, 2014

Banned

St Columb Road, United Kingdom
#106New Post! Feb 10, 2012 @ 10:05:00
@futilevoice Said

If God's name was important to Jesus, then Jesus would have written this down for all of us to know. As far as I know Jesus never wrote anything scriptural for us. So, to say Jesus has lead us down this path of "Jehovahism" is not accurate.

I will also add that maybe you need to do some external research on Jesus. Something outside of the bible. If you claim to be a true Christian you would make the effort. Rather than quoting scripture written about him three hundred years after the fact.

As you say, Jesus didn't write anything down himself, he was far too interested in the personal approach, and left the writing to others he would after his death move to write it all down for him. Does it matter that he didn't write it personally? He still made sure it got written.

Isn't it enough that we have the record of him telling us how important he felt his Ftaher's name to be? even putting the plea for it to be sanctified (Hallowed, made Holy) into the very first line of his model prayer, that people blindly say by rote without ever thinking of the true meaning of it.

Do you think I haven't? Very fond of making assumptions that people aren't as clever or as thorough as you aren't you.

There is very little. A few lines in Josephus and not much else. The words of his followers, at least all those that were important for us to read, were written in the bible. Most of the writings about him from later periods come from Apostate Christians and therefore are not to be trusted, one has to be careful to distil the truth out of them to avoid the pollution of lies. for instance you get the "gentle Jesus meek and mild" crew. OK there are few lies in that, but it is only half the picture. Jesus was a well rounded personality, and the mildness was well blended with the tempered "steel" of determination to speak only truth when necessary, and to tell people exactly what he thought whether they liked it or not. Matthew 23 is a prime example of that. As is much of Matthew 7, and the last parts of Matthew 10. Not one for "sugaring the pill" exactly. Hence my, sometimes brutal honesty in imitation of him.

There have been so many lies and half truths written about him, and the stupid thing is they aren't all that difficult to spot with just a modicum of thought. Like any friend, when you get to know him well enough the lies are easy to spot.
futilevoice On October 07, 2016

Deleted

, Illinois
#107New Post! Feb 10, 2012 @ 13:46:20
@MadCornishBiker Said

As you say, Jesus didn't write anything down himself, he was far too interested in the personal approach, and left the writing to others he would after his death move to write it all down for him. Does it matter that he didn't write it personally? He still made sure it got written.

Isn't it enough that we have the record of him telling us how important he felt his Ftaher's name to be? even putting the plea for it to be sanctified (Hallowed, made Holy) into the very first line of his model prayer, that people blindly say by rote without ever thinking of the true meaning of it.

Do you think I haven't? Very fond of making assumptions that people aren't as clever or as thorough as you aren't you.

There is very little. A few lines in Josephus and not much else. The words of his followers, at least all those that were important for us to read, were written in the bible. Most of the writings about him from later periods come from Apostate Christians and therefore are not to be trusted, one has to be careful to distil the truth out of them to avoid the pollution of lies. for instance you get the "gentle Jesus meek and mild" crew. OK there are few lies in that, but it is only half the picture. Jesus was a well rounded personality, and the mildness was well blended with the tempered "steel" of determination to speak only truth when necessary, and to tell people exactly what he thought whether they liked it or not. Matthew 23 is a prime example of that. As is much of Matthew 7, and the last parts of Matthew 10. Not one for "sugaring the pill" exactly. Hence my, sometimes brutal honesty in imitation of him.

There have been so many lies and half truths written about him, and the stupid thing is they aren't all that difficult to spot with just a modicum of thought. Like any friend, when you get to know him well enough the lies are easy to spot.

I don't know what your problem is Biker, but most of your responses sound as if they are written by a child. A mature adult would know better.
However, I will respond by saying that if you wrote a book about your father, then your mother wrote a book about your father, and all your relatives wrote a book about him, each book would be different.
The events may be similiar, but we would not have an accurate picture of his personality.
How would we know whose story is the truth? We would not be able to discern that unless we knew him ourselves.
In the same way, you are basing your beliefs on someone else's opinion of Jesus. There is no way you could have met him and knew him.
MadCornishBiker On January 14, 2014

Banned

St Columb Road, United Kingdom
#108New Post! Feb 10, 2012 @ 14:07:16
@futilevoice Said

I don't know what your problem is Biker, but most of your responses sound as if they are written by a child. A mature adult would know better.
However, I will respond by saying that if you wrote a book about your father, then your mother wrote a book about your father, and all your relatives wrote a book about him, each book would be different.
The events may be similiar, but we would not have an accurate picture of his personality.
How would we know whose story is the truth? We would not be able to discern that unless we knew him ourselves.
In the same way, you are basing your beliefs on someone else's opinion of Jesus. There is no way you could have met him and knew him.

Would they? Well you may not realise it but maybe that is part of following Christ.

1 Corinthians 1:20,21 Where is the wise man? Where the scribe? Where the debater of this system of things? Did not God make the wisdom of the world foolish? 21 For since, in the wisdom of God, the world through its wisdom did not get to know God, God saw good through the foolishness of what is preached to save those believing.

Maybe in God's eyes it is better to be foolish, and in that case I will stay a fool thank you.

1 Corinthians 2:19 For the wisdom of this world is foolishness with God; for it is written: “He catches the wise in their own cunning"

There is also two ways of looking at maturity, and if I have any maturity at all then it is spiritual maturity.

Hebrews 511-6:2 "Concerning him we have much to say and hard to be explained, since YOU have become dull in YOUR hearing. 12 For, indeed, although YOU ought to be teachers in view of the time, YOU again need someone to teach YOU from the beginning the elementary things of the sacred pronouncements of God; and YOU have become such as need milk, not solid food. 13 For everyone that partakes of milk is unacquainted with the word of righteousness, for he is a babe. 14 But solid food belongs to mature people, to those who through use have their perceptive powers trained to distinguish both right and wrong.
6?For this reason, now that we have left the primary doctrine about the Christ, let us press on to maturity, not laying a foundation again, namely, repentance from dead works, and faith toward God, 2 the teaching on baptisms and the laying on of the hands, the resurrection of the dead and everlasting judgement."

If my answers seem naive to you then I am glad. I do not want my thinking corrupted by the so called wisdom of the Satan led world, which as the scripture says is foolishness in the eyes of God.

To use your analogy, yu may not get an accurate picture of the personality from one book, but by comparing all accounts you would indeed get a very accurate picture, since as you rightly point out each would give you part of the picture which would go together to make up the whole. Ask any serving police officer who has taken more statements than you have had hot dinners and he or she will confirm what I say here. The parts make up the whole.

I hope you never train for psychology because judging by what you have posted here you wouldn't get far. No psychologist I have ever met would agree with you, and I've met a few.
bob_the_fisherman On January 30, 2023
Anatidaephobic

, Angola
#111New Post! Feb 11, 2012 @ 12:49:11
@Tar Said

I hope you got a lot of points for this post...

I realised the post was an epic after I posted it
Wheezy_Knight On February 24, 2012

Deleted

Ankh-Morpork, United Kingdom
#112New Post! Feb 11, 2012 @ 13:05:14
Knowing a name gave you power over that person/entity. Many instances.

I liked this version.

https://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-206887275399093528

(Warning, long vid)

Or even this series...

https://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-8059991273314767024

(Warning, even longer vid)
Reviso On November 23, 2014

Banned

Trenton, Canada
#113New Post! Feb 11, 2012 @ 14:46:00
The history of God, everything watched by him we know about, everything unseen by him which we only thought existed, everything we could be capable of seeing but He still denies us from seeing. There is more, but who should doubt the future?
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3 ...6 7 8

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs