Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2
sister_of_mercy On March 11, 2015

London, United Kingdom
#16New Post! Feb 03, 2012 @ 23:53:10
@chaski Said

Disagree.

I think everyone deserves fair and equal treatment under the law, and basic human rights, but (for example) a person that sexually abuses a child does not deserve respect.

We made afforded respect to this person because we choose to, but the person does not deserve it.

But, that is just my opinion.

I edited my post to clarify what I meant. For me, basic respect is pretty much the same as basic human rights.
DorkySupergirl On November 02, 2017

, Canada
#17New Post! Feb 03, 2012 @ 23:53:17
I said this in another thread but I will say it again. Most of us have more than someone else and there are people with more than us. Does this mean because we happen to have some extra, we need to give it all away?

And why should only the rich be in charge of giving. Most of us have at least 1$ we can donate a week, the question, while we b**** that the rich do not do enough, are we donating that 1$ each week. I highly doubt it.
chaski On April 19, 2024
Stalker

Tree at Floydgirrl's Window,
#18New Post! Feb 04, 2012 @ 00:00:25
@DorkySupergirl Said

I said this in another thread but I will say it again. Most of us have more than someone else and there are people with more than us. Does this mean because we happen to have some extra, we need to give it all away?

And why should only the rich be in charge of giving. Most of us have at least 1$ we can donate a week, the question, while we b**** that the rich do not do enough, are we donating that 1$ each week. I highly doubt it.

Yes. You should give all your respect away to others.

No. You should not give all your earnings away to other.

As a side note, I know many people that are at the edge of poverty but still find time to give some of their free time to charities (things like the March of Dimes' "March for Babies" is something that almost anyone can "give" to... once a year 1/2 walk for charity... all over the USA... old, young, new mothers, wheelchair users, etc... and many other events that take very little time... )

, Canada
#19New Post! Feb 04, 2012 @ 00:04:39
@chaski Said

Yes. You should give all your respect away to others.

No. You should not give all your earnings away to other.

As a side note, I know many people that are at the edge of poverty but still find time to give some of their free time to charities (things like the March of Dimes' "March for Babies" is something that almost anyone can "give" to... once a year 1/2 walk for charity... all over the USA... old, young, new mothers, wheelchair users, etc... and many other events that take very little time... )

I think that is great, its not just money we can give, but yes, also our time. I only say money in my previous post because many on here and in real life seem to think or at least give me the perception that only the rich should be donating and that any extras need to be given. I am so sick of the hate anyone who had more than us thought.

We all work hard and some are able to turn that into a lot of money while most of us, that does not happen but it does not give me the right to be pissed off someone made it rich through hard work and my working hard did not result in as much wealth.
twilitezone911 On March 25, 2019

Saint Louis, Missouri
#20New Post! Feb 04, 2012 @ 00:31:01
if you don't respect as a beautiful human being as you are. how would other people respect you? i think you have a positive attitude in life, that it will shown people you believe in yourself. that belief will shows through like glow, that glow will shine through, and people will see that glow and we will start to trust you. trust is the beginning of respect. i known in my life, if a person is rich, but give money to charcity to get respect, not give it back. the person is shallow, less a human being. but if this person changes his life thought about other than himself or herself, and when out of his or her comfort zone and volunteer to help someone less forture than him or her. he or her feel good about myself that a good start of respect yourself and others.
lefty On July 19, 2018
AKA: friendlybear

Oh, Canada
#21New Post! Feb 04, 2012 @ 00:32:47

, Canada
#22New Post! Feb 04, 2012 @ 00:37:34
@lefty Said

When I am having a hard time with my spelling and need to remember how to spell respect, I sing that song.
MadCornishBiker On January 14, 2014

Banned

St Columb Road, United Kingdom
#23New Post! Feb 05, 2012 @ 18:42:06
@twilitezone911 Said

if you don't respect as a beautiful human being as you are. how would other people respect you? i think you have a positive attitude in life, that it will shown people you believe in yourself. that belief will shows through like glow, that glow will shine through, and people will see that glow and we will start to trust you. trust is the beginning of respect. i known in my life, if a person is rich, but give money to charcity to get respect, not give it back. the person is shallow, less a human being. but if this person changes his life thought about other than himself or herself, and when out of his or her comfort zone and volunteer to help someone less forture than him or her. he or her feel good about myself that a good start of respect yourself and others.

All I can say is that from childhood up I had little respect for myself, but people still seemed to respect me, so I guess your suggestion simply doesn't work.
xLETHAL_VIXENx On January 22, 2015
Logical Alien

Your pants, United States (gen
#24New Post! Feb 05, 2012 @ 18:52:17
@Bloomsy Said

How much respect do you think you deserve...bearing in mind you spend money on luxury and leisure while children die of extreme poverty?

btw. I've put this in the philosophy section whether or not it deserves to be there though is another matter.

I deserve lots of respect regardless how I live, that pertains to everyone. We don't HAVE to give a f*** about dying people and their poverty, not my problem.
Eaglebauer On July 23, 2019
Deleted

Saint Louis, Missouri
#25New Post! Feb 06, 2012 @ 01:09:11
@hoppy Said

I hear the word "respect" being thrown about all the time. Gang members like to talk about "respect". IMO, most people seem confused by it.
You DESERVE to be treated as a human being. You don't deserve respect BECAUSE you are a human. Your deeds and actions earn you any respect you deserve.

re·spect/ri?spekt/Noun: A feeling of deep admiration for someone or something elicited by their abilities, qualities, or achievements.

Verb: Admire (someone or something) deeply, as a result of their abilities, qualities, or achievements.

I actually gotta agree with hoppy here.

I have never and will never demand respect from another person without having earned said respect, and I don't give my respect to others until they have earned it. I can like someone, I can think someone is fun to be around or deserving of a compliment or praise, but respect is a different thing entirely. If I know nothing about a person I have no way to gauge whether or not I respect that person.

Also, the misfortunes of other people, while sometimes tragic and unfair, should not color how much respect someone else gets who has had nothing to do with those misfortunes.

I'll also add that I've always had a real philosophical problem with the phrase "don't judge me." Well...I can't not judge you. It's how we as humans formulate our opinions of people. I can understand not wanting to be judged unfairly, but judging another person based upon one's knowledge of that person is the basis of human relationships. I've judged several people in my life in a way that has put them in a favorable light and that judgement has ended in my respect for them.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs