News & Current Events

Gove: Let's Buy the Queen a Yacht

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
jmo On April 29, 2021
Beruset af Julebryg

Yorkshire, United Kingdom
#1New Post! Jan 16, 2012 @ 12:46:36
Michael Gove apparently suggested spending £60 Million on a yacht for the Queen. The Government have said they won't be doing it, but got to love the front page of the Guardian today:

davii On January 14, 2013
I'm Awesome

Deleted

London, United Kingdom
#2New Post! Jan 16, 2012 @ 13:11:00
I know a guy in the Med that can get one on the cheap
jmo On April 29, 2021
Beruset af Julebryg

#3New Post! Jan 16, 2012 @ 13:15:42
On a semi-sirious note, what is wrong with the Royal Yacht Britannia? It looks good, seems to be in working condition etc. If we want to give her a Yacht, why not give her that one back?
I'm Awesome

Deleted

London, United Kingdom
#4New Post! Jan 16, 2012 @ 13:19:26
@jmo Said

On a semi-sirious note, what is wrong with the Royal Yacht Britannia? It looks good, seems to be in working condition etc. If we want to give her a Yacht, why not give her that one back?

Would still be a PR nightmare in the current climate I'd assume, so would need to be well thought out. Make some cash off of tourism from it while the Olympics are in town etc.
jmo On April 29, 2021
Beruset af Julebryg

#5New Post! Jan 16, 2012 @ 13:20:30
I suppose the loss of jobs, taking away a tourist attraction etc would have to be dealt with.
I'm Awesome

Deleted

London, United Kingdom
#6New Post! Jan 16, 2012 @ 13:25:41
@jmo Said

I suppose the loss of jobs, taking away a tourist attraction etc would have to be dealt with.

Is it an attraction at the moment, or just moth balled?

Unless it's a profitable enterprise, it's probably not a good idea all the time everyone else is being told to tighten their belts.
Jennifer1984 On July 20, 2022
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#7New Post! Jan 16, 2012 @ 13:54:13
As I understood it, the Royal Yacht Britannia was funded, run and manned by the Royal Navy. To recommission HMY Brittania, or to build a new HMY would undoubtedly prompt the Navy to demand an uplift in their budget which doesn't look forthcoming.

To be honest, even as an ardent royalist, I can't see the need for a Royal Yacht. Since HMY Brittania was decommissioned, The Queen has shown she is quite capable of fulfilling all her public duties using other forms of travel and in my personal opinion it's a bit of a harkback to imperial times which we don't really need.

Brittania was a sumptuous vessel though. When we were in Edinburgh in 2005, we nipped down to Leith to go onboard and see it. Doing the guided tour, I was very impressed. In its heyday, it would have been a very potent symbol of British imperial grandeur.

Very naughty of the Grauniad though, to put the headline directly below the picture of the stricken cruise liner. Tsk... naughty, naughty Grauniad.
I'm Awesome

Deleted

London, United Kingdom
#8New Post! Jan 16, 2012 @ 14:02:52
@Jennifer1984 Said

As I understood it, the Royal Yacht Britannia was funded, run and manned by the Royal Navy. To recommission HMY Brittania, or to build a new HMY would undoubtedly prompt the Navy to demand an uplift in their budget which doesn't look forthcoming.

To be honest, even as an ardent royalist, I can't see the need for a Royal Yacht. Since HMY Brittania was decommissioned, The Queen has shown she is quite capable of fulfilling all her public duties using other forms of travel and in my personal opinion it's a bit of a harkback to imperial times which we don't really need.

Brittania was a sumptuous vessel though. When we were in Edinburgh in 2005, we nipped down to Leith to go onboard and see it. Doing the guided tour, I was very impressed. In its heyday, it would have been a very potent symbol of British imperial grandeur.

Very naughty of the Grauniad though, to put the headline directly below the picture of the stricken cruise liner. Tsk... naughty, naughty Grauniad.

Is that the point though, when showing off to other countries as a head of state?
Wellard On April 29, 2012
ect.. .

Deleted

In your Mind, Cape Verde
#9New Post! Jan 16, 2012 @ 14:19:26
I keep seeing that ships mast as a giant cigarette butt
jmo On April 29, 2021
Beruset af Julebryg

#10New Post! Jan 16, 2012 @ 15:11:27
@davii Said

Is it an attraction at the moment, or just moth balled?

Unless it's a profitable enterprise, it's probably not a good idea all the time everyone else is being told to tighten their belts.

It's an attraction, very impressive at the moment as well.
sister_of_mercy On March 11, 2015

London, United Kingdom
#11New Post! Jan 16, 2012 @ 15:15:03
Can't we just give her the Matthew? It doesn't really do much now, apart from go up and down the Bristol Channel for tourists. Not exactly a yacht though I suppose.
Pink_Panther On January 25, 2012

Banned

In The Pink, Netherlands
#12New Post! Jan 17, 2012 @ 10:02:13
60 million quid doesn't sound like much of a decent yacht, to be honest.

But yes, why not simply re-fit Britannia to modern spec? It was, after all, as much a floating embassy as it was a private yacht.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs