Health & Fitness

quit smoking?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2
ClickBoom On November 12, 2012

, Canada
#16New Post! Jan 30, 2012 @ 01:58:10
I was on the patch but got frustrated when I was up to three patches a day.

Just kidding.............

I smoked a minimum of 1 pack a day and as much as 3 for a few weeks short of 45 years. I tried everything under the sun and nothing worked until I gave Champix ( Called Chantix in the US of A ) a whirl. I followed the instructions for the first 7 weeks or so to a tee and it worked like a charm. A cigarette hasn't touched my lips since May 4, 2012 and never will.

People that know me said I would die with a smoke hanging out of my mouth so if I can do it anyone can.
Leon On March 30, 2024

San Diego, California
#17New Post! Jan 30, 2012 @ 02:15:13
@Corey Said

Are you trying to quit smoking? Is there a good way?
Corey.

I've never smoked, but my brother had for almost 30 years and had been trying to quit for the last 15, but was never able to until he got a water cigarette.

Which is basically a thing shaped exactly like a cigarette and used just like one, except the only thing that gets inhaled/exhaled is water vapor and a nicotine cartrige "filter", the amount of which can be decreased over time.

rosexthorn On July 30, 2022

Winnipeg, Canada
#18New Post! Jan 30, 2012 @ 02:47:27
@Leon Said

I've never smoked, but my brother had for almost 30 years and had been trying to quit for the last 15, but was never able to until he got a water cigarette.

Which is basically a thing shaped exactly like a cigarette and used just like one, except the only thing that gets inhaled/exhaled is water vapor and a nicotine cartrige "filter", the amount of which can be decreased over time.

Really? I'd be very interested in knowing where those can be bought because I'd sure give it a try.

Winnipeg, Canada
#19New Post! Jan 30, 2012 @ 02:49:53
@ClickBoom Said

I was on the patch but got frustrated when I was up to three patches a day.

Just kidding.............

I smoked a minimum of 1 pack a day and as much as 3 for a few weeks short of 45 years. I tried everything under the sun and nothing worked until I gave Champix ( Called Chantix in the US of A ) a whirl. I followed the instructions for the first 7 weeks or so to a tee and it worked like a charm. A cigarette hasn't touched my lips since May 4, 2012 and never will.

People that know me said I would die with a smoke hanging out of my mouth so if I can do it anyone can.

Great for you!

My girlfriend tried that very same thing and the doctor had to take her off because she almost succeeded in committing suicide and they found that to be the culprit.
Leon On March 30, 2024

San Diego, California
#20New Post! Jan 30, 2012 @ 02:51:35
@rosexthorn Said

Really? I'd be very interested in knowing where those can be bought because I'd sure give it a try.

Not sure, but I'll ask him next time I see him.
alk1975 On August 11, 2016

Jackson, Missouri
#21New Post! Jan 30, 2012 @ 03:30:27
In the US, the electronic cigarettes can be bought pretty much anywhere that cigarettes can be bought, including gas stations, wal-mart, tobacco stores, etc. They can be purchased online as well though.

https://www.store.e-cigarette-usa.com/eCigarette-Single-Device-Rn4081-Starter-Kit-Rn4081-01-Sk.htm

My husband used Chantix to quit, and everyone kept warning him to watch out for the psychological side effects. He never experienced any at all. I think if you are already prone to mental illness there is a greater chance for suicidal potential, depression, nightmares, etc. He quit for 8 months, but picked it back up during an argument we had and has not put it back down yet. That was 3 months ago.
boobagins On August 03, 2013
SPICY HOT TAMALES

Astral Weeks, Florida
#22New Post! Jan 30, 2012 @ 03:32:33
How much does a pack of cigarette cost now days?

, Canada
#23New Post! Jan 31, 2012 @ 02:35:14
@rosexthorn Said

Great for you!

My girlfriend tried that very same thing and the doctor had to take her off because she almost succeeded in committing suicide and they found that to be the culprit.

I read the warnings that could be an issue and not to make light of what happened to your gf my head is screwed on fairly straight. My wife of 30 years has been battling major depression for over 20 of those and she tried everything under the sun. A round of Zyban 15 years ago put her back in the hospital for a couple of days so she was afraid to try Champix after I quit but decided to give it a whirl. It worked without any side effects and she's a non-smoker now as well.

Interestingly enough because of my success about 1/2 dozen folks at work went on the same drug and everybody except one quit on the first go. The person that failed tried again in late fall and she's done now as well. The only adverse effect mentioned by any of them including me was the weird dreams which according to my doc is the most reported negative side effect. I can't begin to tell you how screwed up they were. Stephen King had nothing on me.

About the drug and the dreams... I was able to stop them from happening by altering the time I took the drug. I took the first pill at about 4:30AM when I got my arse out of the rack and the second one about 1:00 PM. That way the strong effect was lessened by bed time. The drug isn't needed when a person sleeps anyway.

The bottom line with any quit smoking program or aid is the filthy disgusting smoker still has to want to quit. If he / she doesn't nothing will work.

@boobagins Said

How much does a pack of cigarette cost now days?

In Canada they were almost $11.00 when I quit last May. ( I know I said May 4, 2012 in my original post but I screwed up... sue me )

, Canada
#24New Post! Jan 31, 2012 @ 02:38:17
@alk1975 Said

My husband used Chantix to quit, and everyone kept warning him to watch out for the psychological side effects. He never experienced any at all. I think if you are already prone to mental illness there is a greater chance for suicidal potential, depression, nightmares, etc.

That's exactly what I think as well.

@alk1975 Said

He quit for 8 months, but picked it back up during an argument we had and has not put it back down yet. That was 3 months ago.

I deal with those damn triggers every day and I hate 'em. I suppose it's no surprise considering I smoked for so bloody long.

Winnipeg, Canada
#25New Post! Jan 31, 2012 @ 17:38:06
@ClickBoom Said

I read the warnings that could be an issue and not to make light of what happened to your gf my head is screwed on fairly straight. My wife of 30 years has been battling major depression for over 20 of those and she tried everything under the sun. A round of Zyban 15 years ago put her back in the hospital for a couple of days so she was afraid to try Champix after I quit but decided to give it a whirl. It worked without any side effects and she's a non-smoker now as well.

Interestingly enough because of my success about 1/2 dozen folks at work went on the same drug and everybody except one quit on the first go. The person that failed tried again in late fall and she's done now as well. The only adverse effect mentioned by any of them including me was the weird dreams which according to my doc is the most reported negative side effect. I can't begin to tell you how screwed up they were. Stephen King had nothing on me.

About the drug and the dreams... I was able to stop them from happening by altering the time I took the drug. I took the first pill at about 4:30AM when I got my arse out of the rack and the second one about 1:00 PM. That way the strong effect was lessened by bed time. The drug isn't needed when a person sleeps anyway.

The bottom line with any quit smoking program or aid is the filthy disgusting smoker still has to want to quit. If he / she doesn't nothing will work.

In Canada they were almost $11.00 when I quit last May. ( I know I said May 4, 2012 in my original post but I screwed up... sue me )

You are correct in correcting my comment.

What should have been mentioned which was VERY important also is that my gf had had an aneurysm on top of being depressed so those combined may have led to the suicide attempts. I'm so sorry for not putting that in.

, Canada
#26New Post! Feb 01, 2012 @ 00:33:36
@rosexthorn Said

You are correct in correcting my comment.

What should have been mentioned which was VERY important also is that my gf had had an aneurysm on top of being depressed so those combined may have led to the suicide attempts. I'm so sorry for not putting that in.

No need to apologize.

Considering all of that I'm surprised her doctor prescribed her Champix.
loverbrybry On September 26, 2012

Port-of-spain, Trinidad and To
#27New Post! Feb 09, 2012 @ 11:05:40
Smoking is truly hard. You've got to decide and stick to the DECISION ! The first three days are the hardest and I've failed so often I've given up. Why put myself through all this incredible stress at age 61 ?
offbeat On November 18, 2022

london, United Kingdom
#28New Post! Feb 09, 2012 @ 11:09:57
if one is a regular drinker of alcohol , then quitting smoking is very difficult because the two go hand in hand .. when you take a drink there is usually an overpowering urge to smoke .... so if that describes you ... then quit drinking at the same time .... and make quitting easier ...you can always go back to drinking at a later stage when the smoking habit is licked
TenaciousDave On February 11, 2022
The Anus Of Satan

Jeffrey Dahmer's Lunchbox,
#29New Post! Feb 11, 2012 @ 04:27:19
27 years and counting!
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs