The trouble with atheism.

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 5
sister_of_mercy On March 11, 2015

London, United Kingdom
#61New Post! Dec 21, 2011 @ 12:55:14
@MAW Said

Well I’m not sure if there is a right and wrong type of each to combine. Lets take an example of a Christian heart surgeon. He/she is very devout but at the top of their surgical game. Would that be wrong?

Why would it be? Medicine is compatible with Christianity. Perhaps not in terms of abortion, but largely the two domains do not conflict. However, when the doctor is at work they have to put their faith to one side when advising patients what to do sometimes. It's ok to have a belief but it's not ok to let that impact on another person's life in a way that could potentially harm them.
LuckyCharms On July 31, 2021
Magically Delicious

#62New Post! Dec 21, 2011 @ 12:57:38
Sorry, didn't read the last three pages as I'm sick to death of all these religious/atheists threads.

The reality is that you can run into fundamentalists in any particular school of thought. Whether it be a field of science, a particular faith or even a medical practitioner.

They are out there and it's best to label them as they are: fundamentalists.

And avoid them.

They're all pains in the asses.

Just like these threads.
Electric_Banana On about 5 hours ago

, New Zealand
#63New Post! Dec 21, 2011 @ 12:57:46
@MAW Said

Well I’m not sure if there is a right and wrong type of each to combine. Lets take an example of a Christian heart surgeon. He/she is very devout but at the top of their surgical game. Would that be wrong?

Christianity in it's entirety doesn't equal stupidity.

I'm competent and clever with quite a few things but I also have strange convictions.

Despite whatever way someone's perception is warped if they're still rational enough to treat everyone equally and fairly and are highly skilled with what they do it wouldn't matter if they believed in a God or a pink elephant.
Oisin On January 27, 2012

Glasgow, United Kingdom
#64New Post! Dec 21, 2011 @ 12:59:21
ah sweet, can we bring up the hippocratic oath and see if we can make this thread 30 pages longer ?

, New Zealand
#65New Post! Dec 21, 2011 @ 13:46:26
I think the point that the OP is ultimately making is pretentiously pushing a perspective on others.

And the Evolutionists are just as pushy as the Christians.

I suggest the way I sometimes view things but would not insist others to see the same.

For instance.

The way life has looked to me for the past few years is that I'm walking around a stage set with a bunch of actors who are all the same person.

Now I could go and make all effort to establish a religion out of this and get everyone to start seeing things the same way...

...but does my perspective sound entertaining or absurd?

Glasgow, United Kingdom
#66New Post! Dec 21, 2011 @ 13:50:00
to put it mildly, your perspective sounds bat s*** crazy.

, New Zealand
#67New Post! Dec 21, 2011 @ 13:59:34
@Oisin Said

to put it mildly, your perspective sounds bat s*** crazy.

Yeah but I still manage pretty well despite.

Someone once told me that I had things "Mind numblingly easy" but the mind part of the life has been the only thing served to me on extremely hard difficulty.

But see I could set up podium and call everyone up to it and work on getting them to adjust their perspective goggles to this same frequency but why would I want to annoy every one with this?

I rather have their different and varying perspectives to rescue me from this perception every once in awhile.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
#68New Post! Dec 21, 2011 @ 14:06:40
@Electric_Banana Said

Yeah but I still manage pretty well despite.

Someone once told me that I had things "Mind numblingly easy" but the mind part of the life has been the only thing served to me on extremely hard difficulty.

But see I could set up podium and call everyone up to it and work on getting them to adjust their perspective goggles to this same frequency but why would I want to annoy every one with this?

I rather have their different and varying perspectives to rescue me from this perception every once in awhile.

man, i don't know you. if we lived next door to each other we still wouldn't know each other as we are on here. it sounds to me like you have a lot of things that you need to talk about to someone who knows and understands you.

, New Zealand
#69New Post! Dec 21, 2011 @ 14:19:05
@Oisin Said

man, i don't know you. if we lived next door to each other we still wouldn't know each other as we are on here. it sounds to me like you have a lot of things that you need to talk about to someone who knows and understands you.

I know it sounds like I'm completely daft but my 'crazy' is no different from Christianity or Darwinism.

It's just that my personal perception is not as common as Christianity or Darwinism and it comes off as so outlandishly out of the box that, most people would toss the baby out with the bath water and write me off as completely incompetent.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
#70New Post! Dec 21, 2011 @ 14:48:43
@Electric_Banana Said

I know it sounds like I'm completely daft but my 'crazy' is no different from Christianity or Darwinism.

It's just that my personal perception is not as common as Christianity or Darwinism and it comes off as so outlandishly out of the box that, most people would toss the baby out with the bath water and write me off as completely incompetent.

dude, i think most people hold the same opinion as you do. it doesn't mean that you have any less of a right to express your opinions. people may call them 'crazy' but if that's how you feel then at least feel free to talk it out. it's unlikely that you will get a satisfactory response on a forum, but no matter how 'crazy' you still have a right to express how you feel...well to a certain extent i suppose.
SparklyKatie On March 07, 2014
\m//O_O\\m/

Sheffield, United Kingdom
#71New Post! Dec 21, 2011 @ 16:14:43
When did The Origin of species become an atheist text? Did I miss a meeting?
MAW On October 31, 2012

Deleted

Stockport, United Kingdom
#72New Post! Dec 21, 2011 @ 16:27:25
@SparklyKatie Said

Ok Katie, did I make a mistake here then?
SparklyKatie On March 07, 2014
\m//O_O\\m/

Sheffield, United Kingdom
#73New Post! Dec 21, 2011 @ 16:34:01
@MAW Said

Ok Katie, did I make a mistake here then?

Well people can (and do) accept evolution and be religious, can't they?

Even Darwin believed in God.
MAW On October 31, 2012

Deleted

Stockport, United Kingdom
#74New Post! Dec 21, 2011 @ 16:44:08
@SparklyKatie Said

Well people can (and do) accept evolution and be religious, can't they?

Even Darwin believed in God.

Sure. Thanks.
someone_else On August 30, 2012
Not a dude.

Deleted

American Alps, Washington
#75New Post! Dec 21, 2011 @ 17:06:49
@SparklyKatie Said

Hey now, atheists are not organized and thus have no meetings. We've been over this dozens of times.

Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 5

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs