AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4
someone_else On August 30, 2012
Not a dude.

Deleted

American Alps, Washington
#46New Post! Dec 19, 2011 @ 15:52:04
@Erimitus Said

No I have not seen "Prophets of Science fiction". Is it a book, a movie, TV program? Is it worth looking for?

It is a TV program looking at what science fiction authors of the past spoke of in their books. They basically examine their writings and they see how close they got to what they thought would exist in the future. I'm sure that the fiction influenced the research, but I think they focus on how close they got with an actual feasible idea.

I have not managed to watch an episode yet...I have no idea why I haven't recorded it to watch later though. So I don't know if it really is worth looking for, but it sounds interesting.

https://science.discovery.com/tv/prophets-of-science-fiction/
Electric_Banana On February 05, 2024

, New Zealand
#47New Post! Dec 19, 2011 @ 16:16:47
@someone_else Said

It is a TV program looking at what science fiction authors of the past spoke of in their books. They basically examine their writings and they see how close they got to what they thought would exist in the future. I'm sure that the fiction influenced the research, but I think they focus on how close they got with an actual feasible idea.

I have not managed to watch an episode yet...I have no idea why I haven't recorded it to watch later though. So I don't know if it really is worth looking for, but it sounds interesting.

When you attempt to explain religious ideas with science you wind up with stuff like I-Robot and The Stepford Wives.
Not a dude.

Deleted

#48New Post! Dec 19, 2011 @ 17:04:47
@Electric_Banana Said

When you attempt to explain religious ideas with science you wind up with stuff like I-Robot and The Stepford Wives.

What are you talking about? My comment was completely off-topic and was only spurred by the mention of Science-fiction and Prophets in the same sentence.

Regardless, a prophecy is nothing more than saying something that is going to happen at a later date. It does not have to be religious.
Wheezy_Knight On February 24, 2012

Deleted

Ankh-Morpork, United Kingdom
#49New Post! Dec 19, 2011 @ 17:12:10
Reality role playing?

Certainly we all do it, our role when at home is usually far different than our roles at work, or in the public eye.

There's a statement in quantum mechanics "The Uncertainty Principle" which is used to describe the actions of sub-atomic particles, but, works just as well for observing humans in social situations I think.

"The act of observation changes the nature of the subject under observation, and the actions of the observer"

(That's probably a miss-quote, or a paraphrasing, but it's broadly accurate I assure you).

, New Zealand
#50New Post! Dec 19, 2011 @ 17:17:49
@someone_else Said

What are you talking about? My comment was completely off-topic and was only spurred by the mention of Science-fiction and Prophets in the same sentence.

Regardless, a prophecy is nothing more than saying something that is going to happen at a later date. It does not have to be religious.

I was talking about propaganda.

Prophecy:
Impossible to predict unless the world is rigged.
Not a dude.

Deleted

#51New Post! Dec 19, 2011 @ 17:19:05
@Electric_Banana Said

I was talking about propaganda.

Prophecy:
Impossible to predict unless the world is rigged.

The world is rigged. I thought you knew that.

, New Zealand
#52New Post! Dec 19, 2011 @ 17:21:06
@Wheezy_Knight Said

"The act of observation changes the nature of the subject under observation, and the actions of the observer"

And the actions of subject if the subject isn't clever enough to manage themselves.

, New Zealand
#53New Post! Dec 19, 2011 @ 17:22:04
@someone_else Said

The world is rigged. I thought you knew that.

Nope, never been outside of it.

Pulling apart and analyzing from the inside.
Erimitus On July 01, 2021

The mind of God, Antarctica
#54New Post! Dec 19, 2011 @ 19:47:14
@someone_else Said

I found it. Thanks.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs