College Life

education ?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 3 ...8 9 10 · >>
offbeat On November 18, 2022

london, United Kingdom
#1New Post! Dec 12, 2011 @ 00:23:24
on the odd occassion i notice a post by some of the younger members of the forum site trgarding their 'education'.... and , i've noticed a common theme with most of them . they speak of stress and pressure and sound thoroughly miserable when talking about it.... it never ceases to astonish me when i consider the established system of preparing young people for life in the modern world .... a system that is full of, for the most part, lacklustre control freaks .. who love nothing more than to have others dance to their tune ... and it's not as if the young have to pay this oppressive penance for a year or two... with the most basic of 'educations' a whole eleven years is spent sitting unhealthily at a desk listening to some corduroy clad bore drone on about 16th century playwrights .. squeezing every last ' supposed' meaning out of every last word ... no mention in all that time of .. for example .. how to arrange your finances ( choosing a suitable bank , the best savings vehicle etc).. how to develop good relationships and how to treat others ... parenting skills ... d.i.y skills ... drug and alcohol awareness ... most jobs out there can be learned with a short period of training , so why do we need to keep forcing our unfortunate youth through this overblown industry... we are only here once ...is this really the best we can do ?
jmo On April 29, 2021
Beruset af Julebryg

Yorkshire, United Kingdom
#2New Post! Dec 12, 2011 @ 00:27:28
Having spent the afternoon pouring over the words of some 16th century playwright, (though words not published until the 17th century) I can say my life is better for it.
Jesswaa On August 02, 2012

, Australia
#3New Post! Dec 12, 2011 @ 00:29:43
In my schooling experience, however limited ( Beginning tertiary education in Feb) about 2/3 of young people I know like to study.. Of course there's pressure and stress and all that but that is life. Those things make us work harder and produce a higher quality of work... I think, without education (formal or informal) we are letting ourselves down.. Education improves the world IMO

If not education, what would you suggest 'young people' commit to to better themselves? To strive for something?

I live in Australia, so education is free, (well no initial upfront fees) I think those who have to find own funding find it stressful like those in America but I think education is vital
sister_of_mercy On March 11, 2015

London, United Kingdom
#4New Post! Dec 12, 2011 @ 00:31:21
I've always loved learning. The institution itself can be irritating but the things it has taught me have been fascinating. I think as a nation we are tested a bit too much (like having SATs in Year 6, I think that's a bit pointless but it's not like they were hard) and that's where the pressure comes from. Teachers drum it into your head that if you don't get good grades then you won't function well in the real world, which I don't completely agree with but I think it helps you understand the world on a deeper level.

In my school we did have lessons about relationships and citizenship and drug and alcohol awareness, it was all in PSHE/RE. I think there's only so much they can teach you about that though, it's something that should be experienced rather than taught in a school.

I don't think my education has been a waste, even the subjects that I've hated. I've learned something from all of them and met some good people from it- school isn't just about learning academically, it helps you learn some social skills as well. I'm planning on doing a PGCE and becoming a teacher so I don't have to leave education for as long as possible because I've liked it so much.

london, United Kingdom
#5New Post! Dec 12, 2011 @ 00:43:25
@Jesswaa Said

In my schooling experience, however limited ( Beginning tertiary education in Feb) about 2/3 of young people I know like to study.. Of course there's pressure and stress and all that but that is life. Those things make us work harder and produce a higher quality of work... I think, without education (formal or informal) we are letting ourselves down.. Education improves the world IMO

If not education, what would you suggest 'young people' commit to to better themselves? To strive for something?

I live in Australia, so education is free, (well no initial upfront fees) I think those who have to find own funding find it stressful like those in America but I think education is vital

there are people like you who have a leaning towards that kind of 'study'.. but there are many millions of peopkle who are absolutely not suited to it and they are being forced through a system that inevitably sets them up for failure ... and there are now so many people chasing so few jobs that i believe employers will be asking for quite high 'qualifications' for quite menial, low paid jobs in the near future ... jobs the used to be available to the unintellectualls among us ... we need to rethink the system , so the disposessed can find a career path and self fullfillment... i think it's scandalous that children are forced to sit at a desk for a minimum of eleven years when their teachers arfe fully aware that the kids haven't a bloody clue ... and never will... the teachers concentrate on the smart ones , because they can convince themselves that the grades they achieve are down to the teachers good teaching ... meanwhile the teachers like to blame the parents of the unsmart for not caring about their kids .. which is a cop out .
Sparklegirl On December 13, 2019
LL.M

Cumbria, United Kingdom
#6New Post! Dec 12, 2011 @ 01:06:54
Most people who know me here know I'm an academic who loves to learn so yes I will always (for me personally) defend that route. At the age of 29 I have been on some form of course since I was at school. My studies go across the board from GCSE/A Level, degree & masters degree to sign language, counselling and teaching qualification so it is all varied and for me, I would have it no other way.

Of course there are plenty of people who are not like me- they prefer to use their practical skills for example, the school setting is not for everybody but I dont believe people should be disparaging regardless which route is taken- we all have different skill sets which should be appreciated. I do get a hard time from some people over my education chopices, but it was a very expensive way for me to go (one of my courses was £16k without any help from anywhere. If people wish to do it, they should be encouraged, if not, then find what suits them best and go with it
DiscordTiger On December 04, 2021
The Queen of Random

Administrator

Emerald City, United States (g
#7New Post! Dec 12, 2011 @ 01:36:00
I can honestly say I've never read a post at TFS and thought, gee, that person needs less education, being properly educated is their problem.
Sparklegirl On December 13, 2019
LL.M

Cumbria, United Kingdom
#8New Post! Dec 12, 2011 @ 01:39:27
@DiscordTiger Said

I can honestly say I've never read a post at TFS and thought, gee, that person needs less education, being properly educated is their problem.

how gutted am I that this is the exact reason I get for knock backs with jobs? Over qualified- the worst comment ever for me!
eternus_somnium On April 14, 2021
clinically crackers

, United States (general)
#9New Post! Dec 12, 2011 @ 02:43:35
@offbeat Said
no mention in all that time of .. for example .. how to arrange your finances ( choosing a suitable bank , the best savings vehicle etc).. how to develop good relationships and how to treat others ... parenting skills ... d.i.y skills ... drug and alcohol awareness ... most jobs out there can be learned with a short period of training , so why do we need to keep forcing our unfortunate youth through this overblown industry... we are only here once ...is this really the best we can do ?

Interesting that you'd say this, because in my school years I have had all of the following:

1. Financial literacy class (financial planning - we even did specific projects about how much to save to buy a certain car)
2. Peer communications class (good relationships and how to treat others)
3. Home economics class (some DIY skills, more financial planning)
4. DARE groups and health classes (drug and alcohol awareness)

Parenting skills weren't covered but surely that should be taught by the parents and family anyway.
alk1975 On August 11, 2016

Jackson, Missouri
#10New Post! Dec 12, 2011 @ 03:04:26
Family Living was a class taught in our home ec department. It pretty much covered all of those topics. We also had Personal Business in the business department, and drug and alcohol awareness was brought in at every level imaginable. I was finishing school around the time dare got started good. My younger sibs participated. But we covered it in health, biology, phys ed, home ec, and even a little bit in history. And then once a month we had a homeroom presentation regarding drug use, and posters everywhere (along with abstinence promoting posters). How to treat others is best learned as you interact with others. I actually feel that education should be less test focused and more socially focused for that specific reason, and because virtually all careers these days are collaboration focused.

All that to say that I don't think that education is the way to go for everybody. Some individuals hate school, are not well suited to the school environment, and have strengths that lie outside of academia. Those students should be helped by guidance counselors to find careers that suit them well, so that even they are making an informed and active choice. However, we still need educated individuals, and there are plenty of individuals who feel a need for education. There is intrinsic value in education, and some skills require specific education anyway. It's here to stay, but others should still have a means of earning a decent living.

london, United Kingdom
#11New Post! Dec 12, 2011 @ 10:44:41
@eternus_somnium Said

Interesting that you'd say this, because in my school years I have had all of the following:

1. Financial literacy class (financial planning - we even did specific projects about how much to save to buy a certain car)
2. Peer communications class (good relationships and how to treat others)
3. Home economics class (some DIY skills, more financial planning)
4. DARE groups and health classes (drug and alcohol awareness)

Parenting skills weren't covered but surely that should be taught by the parents and family anyway.

well you ask whether parenting should be taught by the parents... sometimes they haven't the first clue how to be parents and it would be a benefit to give everyone some idea regarding good well balanced parenting .... and i do read posts from students , where , even though they say they like education , they will give a list of things they need to do ( study wise ) and make it sound like a huge burden .. and my favourite is when a scholar posts that they have been up all night trying to complete an essay or two before the submission deadline ...surely that can't be considered healthy ..

london, United Kingdom
#12New Post! Dec 12, 2011 @ 10:47:37
@jmo Said

Having spent the afternoon pouring over the words of some 16th century playwright, (though words not published until the 17th century) I can say my life is better for it.

you just might as well study eastenders and coronation street ... the story lines and character types are much the same ... and there's no need to overcome the hurdle of hard to decipher outmoded speech

london, United Kingdom
#13New Post! Dec 12, 2011 @ 10:51:03
@DiscordTiger Said

so you concur tiger ... it doesn't work for everyone ... i sat at the desk for eleven years and it was a total waste of time ... even beating by those respectable academics didn't help...

london, United Kingdom
#14New Post! Dec 12, 2011 @ 10:53:36
@alk1975 Said

Family Living was a class taught in our home ec department. It pretty much covered all of those topics. We also had Personal Business in the business department, and drug and alcohol awareness was brought in at every level imaginable. I was finishing school around the time dare got started good. My younger sibs participated. But we covered it in health, biology, phys ed, home ec, and even a little bit in history. And then once a month we had a homeroom presentation regarding drug use, and posters everywhere (along with abstinence promoting posters). How to treat others is best learned as you interact with others. I actually feel that education should be less test focused and more socially focused for that specific reason, and because virtually all careers these days are collaboration focused.

All that to say that I don't think that education is the way to go for everybody. Some individuals hate school, are not well suited to the school environment, and have strengths that lie outside of academia. Those students should be helped by guidance counselors to find careers that suit them well, so that even they are making an informed and active choice. However, we still need educated individuals, and there are plenty of individuals who feel a need for education. There is intrinsic value in education, and some skills require specific education anyway. It's here to stay, but others should still have a means of earning a decent living.

great post .. i'm happy that you had that balance during your school years ... and i agree with everything you've written here .

london, United Kingdom
#15New Post! Dec 12, 2011 @ 10:56:03
@Sparklegirl Said

how gutted am I that this is the exact reason I get for knock backs with jobs? Over qualified- the worst comment ever for me!

yes i find that excuse by employers to be extremely perverse .. i wonder if they're really saying to themselves ..'mmm, i'd better not employ her because in the not too distant future she'll be taking my job .'
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 3 ...8 9 10 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs