The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums:
College Life

How does reading on the internet lead to deep analytical thinking?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
crsoccerplayer6 On December 08, 2011

Manville, New Jersey
#1New Post! Dec 05, 2011 @ 16:39:56
How is reading on the internet better than books in terms of analysis of the content? Two examples,

1) The ability to research inter-textual connections.
(Instead of having to go through tons of books)

2) The ability to speak with other users in the comment section.
(Instead of just writing an essay response, you can have real time conversations with many users and gather many thoughts and input)

Please help me find more so i can write my thesis for an english paper. Thank you!
Sparklegirl On December 13, 2019
LL.M

Cumbria, United Kingdom
#2New Post! Dec 05, 2011 @ 16:48:42
Access to wider range of infomration and sources such as journals. that said, my essay has 11 books referenced and jsut 2 websites
someone_else On August 30, 2012
Not a dude.

Deleted

American Alps, Washington
#3New Post! Dec 05, 2011 @ 16:50:29
@Sparklegirl Said

Access to wider range of infomration and sources such as journals. that said, my essay has 11 books referenced and jsut 2 websites

This.

Plus, depending on what you're studying, you can get different world views. I know that since I've started posting here (or just reading here), I've been exposed to ways of thinking that I didn't know existed.
LL.M

Cumbria, United Kingdom
#4New Post! Dec 05, 2011 @ 16:53:01
@someone_else Said

This.

Plus, depending on what you're studying, you can get different world views. I know that since I've started posting here (or just reading here), I've been exposed to ways of thinking that I didn't know existed.

Half looking here half writing my essay- i was trying to add that the availability lead to more comparisons being able to be drawn which will help the critical thinking of compare and contrast

Very good point about where people are from too- i too have found it useful to get the aspects of people from other countries like i did with the death penalty- fomr people who live in places where it sill exists. i could not hope to fully understand it without their help
someone_else On August 30, 2012
Not a dude.

Deleted

American Alps, Washington
#5New Post! Dec 05, 2011 @ 16:53:43
@Sparklegirl Said

Half looking here half writing my essay- i was trying to add that the availability lead to more comparisons being able to be drawn which will help the critical thinking of compare and contrast

Very good point about where people are from too- i too have found it useful to get the aspects of people from other countries like i did with the death penalty- fomr people who live in places where it sill exists. i could not hope to fully understand it without their help

Glad our barbaric country could help...or something.
LL.M

Cumbria, United Kingdom
#6New Post! Dec 05, 2011 @ 16:56:29
@someone_else Said

Glad our barbaric country could help...or something.

well my argument was to debate 'agianst' it but to be fair i did sometimes slip back to my point of view of killing them!
crsoccerplayer6 On December 08, 2011

Manville, New Jersey
#7New Post! Dec 05, 2011 @ 20:04:42
Thank you everyone for the great responses. the only problem is that most of what you guys said falls under the category of intertextual connections. i need a third example that stands out from both connections and being able to speak with others. please continue to help it is much appreciated.
drman321 On December 28, 2013

, Florida
#8New Post! Dec 05, 2011 @ 20:18:26
Reading material online opens up a whole new way of interacting with the information that is being imparted to us. Books and television (our previous dominant sources of information) are one sided. Somebody tells you what to think and you either accept it or you do not. Online we are given the ability to interact and the ability to form our own conclusions.

As an example if I read a book about the Greek economy that would be it. I read the book and I either accept or reject the author's conclusions. If however, I read an article online it is very easy for me to find the source documents and statistics concerning their federal budget, GDP, exports, imports, whatever else I may want to find, and I am then able to form my own opinions over and above what the article may have been talking about in the first place.
beautifulbutterfly On March 12, 2012

Calgary, Canada
#9New Post! Dec 07, 2011 @ 17:41:07
You can get information that is relevant and up to date.
Oisin On January 27, 2012

Glasgow, United Kingdom
#10New Post! Dec 07, 2011 @ 17:48:38
@drman321 Said

Reading material online opens up a whole new way of interacting with the information that is being imparted to us. Books and television (our previous dominant sources of information) are one sided. Somebody tells you what to think and you either accept it or you do not. Online we are given the ability to interact and the ability to form our own conclusions.

this is what i was going to say. i wouldn't have said it so well but my point would have been roughly the same.
sister_of_mercy On March 11, 2015

London, United Kingdom
#11New Post! Dec 07, 2011 @ 18:18:06
@crsoccerplayer6 Said

Thank you everyone for the great responses. the only problem is that most of what you guys said falls under the category of intertextual connections. i need a third example that stands out from both connections and being able to speak with others. please continue to help it is much appreciated.

Why don't you do some reading about it on the internet and see what you think of it.
LuckyCharms On July 31, 2021
Magically Delicious

#12New Post! Dec 11, 2011 @ 16:11:19
One of the biggest things about the internet to broaden my horizons was the exposure to people from around the world. To learn about their lives and cultures from first hand accounts.

I may not be communicating this very clearly (in and out while making christmas candy etc) but basically it pulled me out of my little world and exposed me to a much larger world forcing me to re-evaluate what I thought I always 'knew'.
Wheezy_Knight On February 24, 2012

Deleted

Ankh-Morpork, United Kingdom
#13New Post! Feb 03, 2012 @ 14:35:24
@LuckyCharms Said

One of the biggest things about the internet to broaden my horizons was the exposure to people from around the world. To learn about their lives and cultures from first hand accounts.

I may not be communicating this very clearly (in and out while making christmas candy etc) but basically it pulled me out of my little world and exposed me to a much larger world forcing me to re-evaluate what I thought I always 'knew'.

Ditto. (cept for the christmas candy bit)
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs