Forums: Society & Lifestyles:
Kids

Beauty Pageants... Child Abuse?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
DivineBeautii On August 26, 2012

, New York
#1New Post! Nov 29, 2011 @ 14:43:22
I was going through youtube videos and came across beauty pageants...

I remember when I dreamed my mother made time to put me in one..

Now I look at them and question is it a form of child abuse..
Some mother force her daughter [5yr old] to wax her eye brows
Tons of make up they look like plastic mini barbie dolls..

Its pretty diturbing...

I mean don't you think it sends the wrong message on what beauty should be about... Not Make up Fancy to even obscene clothing..

Shouldn't a Pageant should be based on 5 yearold girls who look 5 isn't that cute enough...

What d you think?
SlyFox On May 12, 2021

Surrey, United Kingdom
#2New Post! Nov 29, 2011 @ 14:51:09
It's bloody disgusting. To be honest grown women plastered in make up look pretty rough never mind putting it on a child.

Children are no longer children and perhaps those that are, are probably teased for being geeky or naive. There is nothing so cute as a child dressed like a child and behaving like a child and shame on those parents who don't allow it!
futilevoice On October 07, 2016

Deleted

, Illinois
#3New Post! Nov 29, 2011 @ 14:53:44
I agree, but I don't think it could be considered child abuse. It probably is no different than fathers putting a baseball bat in their sons hands at five, or training them to play some other sport.
These mothers are probably living vicariously through their daughters.
MAW On October 31, 2012

Deleted

Stockport, United Kingdom
#4New Post! Nov 29, 2011 @ 14:54:54
Never thought about it before but yeah I agree with you. 5 yr olds should look like 5 yr olds and not “made-up” to look older or glamorous. I certainly did not enter my daughter into any of these.
eternus_somnium On April 14, 2021
clinically crackers

, United States (general)
#5New Post! Nov 29, 2011 @ 14:57:53
In some cases, it could be, but not all. What we see on TV and media stories is probably the most exaggerated and controversial material.

I grew up with a girl who did beauty pageants all her life, and she loved them. She was very down to earth and the pageants weren't over the top - and she was never forced to do something she didn't want to do.

, New York
#6New Post! Nov 29, 2011 @ 16:27:38
@futilevoice Said

I agree, but I don't think it could be considered child abuse. It probably is no different than fathers putting a baseball bat in their sons hands at five, or training them to play some other sport.
These mothers are probably living vicariously through their daughters.

Good point, Interesting... althought i see what you mean but I think being in sports it builds character it build traits like team work effort ambition ect. And can also build something of it. Sports are something even if its not taking serious it keeps kids of the streets and more postive.. I don't see Beauty Pageants playing any of those roles and postivity..

However I don't feel fathers should force thier kids to play sports if they don't want to or pressure them to win.. Thats sad..
annski729 On July 24, 2016

#7New Post! Nov 29, 2011 @ 16:31:13
It's not child abuse, but that doesn't mean it's necessarily good for kids either. Forget about make-up, the whole concept of a beauty contest is disturbing to me, especially with kids at such a young age.

, New York
#8New Post! Nov 29, 2011 @ 16:31:14
@eternus_somnium Said

In some cases, it could be, but not all. What we see on TV and media stories is probably the most exaggerated and controversial material.

I grew up with a girl who did beauty pageants all her life, and she loved them. She was very down to earth and the pageants weren't over the top - and she was never forced to do something she didn't want to do.

Yeah I believe that.. Butlike someone else mention there are many parents whole try to chase and live thier dreams thru hier kids whether is Pageants Career Choice Sports ... and its sad

Im pretty sure those girls love the Pageant what 5 year old doen't put her moms shoes on but I just think it gives off the wrong impression and forces lil girls to grow faster then they should
annski729 On July 24, 2016

#9New Post! Nov 29, 2011 @ 16:35:38
@DivineBeautii Said

Im pretty sure those girls love the Pageant what 5 year old doen't put her moms shoes on but I just think it gives off the wrong impression and forces lil girls to grow faster then they should

I didn't

I'm sure some girls enjoy them, but should we really be judging and giving prizes to kids for their appearance? All little girls should be told they're beautiful, and to have a contest with rules and procedures is so wrong in my mind.

Would you ever tell your kid that someone else is more beautiful than they are? That's essentially what these contests do. Sure, you look good kid, but you're not as beautiful as so and so.

, New York
#10New Post! Nov 29, 2011 @ 16:37:12
I don't really believe its Child Abuse but it can be.. Like the mom who forced he 5 year old screamin and crying to wax her brows thats abuse to me.

But I can bet it isn't always like that and not all stage moms are that harst but Im also pretty sure that alot of those kids grow up with a messed up state of mind..

Alot of them grow to be anorexic... And some even very promiscuous

, New York
#11New Post! Nov 29, 2011 @ 16:40:27
@annski729 Said

I didn't

I'm sure some girls enjoy them, but should we really be judging and giving prizes to kids for their appearance? All little girls should be told they're beautiful, and to have a contest with rules and procedures is so wrong in my mind.

Would you ever tell your kid that someone else is more beautiful than they are? That's essentially what these contests do. Sure, you look good kid, but you're not as beautiful as so and so.

I agree 100% I think it definitly gives of the wrong message Epecially those kids having make-up and to much for an out fit or dress
its like saying your only considered beautiful if you wear make up and certain type of clothing
Grasshopper On January 11, 2023
Just me.

Fort Collins, Colorado
#12New Post! Nov 29, 2011 @ 17:15:41
no it's not abuse.
MaCharisse On May 04, 2012

Legazpi, Philippines
#13New Post! Nov 29, 2011 @ 17:31:14
maybe sometimes...because in the first place when you were a child you don't know about the whole thing that other people is doing on you...but let put it on the bright side...maybe you enjoy it and it's really your fashion...that's much better thinking the other way...
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs