do you think our parents relationships effect our own relationships

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2
sTreetAngeL On January 24, 2022
root tedt ree

in a paradox,
#16New Post! Nov 28, 2011 @ 17:34:20
I think what goes on around us,.. indeed makes us products of environment and association; it effects us for certain to a degree...But ultimatiely, we mature, and learn to think for ourselves...To separate 'us', from them.. Making our own choices in the end...

To blame others for our own actions, in our adult lives, is a cop out in my opinion.
Judas On September 02, 2015

, Canada
#17New Post! Nov 28, 2011 @ 20:51:32
Be a little odd to think it wouldn't affect us, wouldn't it? They do raise us as they see fit.
I'm scared s***less of having kids. I don't ever want to be like mine anymore then I have to be. The girlfriend brought up kids a few nights ago. Didn't answer but that will turn into an interesting... Conversation.

But anyways, even not living with them I still find myself behaving and treating other's as I would then; mostly the seen and not heard theory.
Mosy of is live and listen (mostly) to them for eighteen years, there is going to be some influence.
Sparklegirl On December 13, 2019
LL.M

Cumbria, United Kingdom
#18New Post! Nov 28, 2011 @ 21:50:37
@chef_mia Said

my dads the same when my man came over to meet them my dad was cleaning his shot gun at the time and told him if he ever hurt his baby girl he would blow his brains out lol to say he was a little scared would be an understatement

good one! my dad would have a shot gun if they were legal over here jsut to make a point at him! but he knows waht my dad would do to him if he hurt me- but he is a good lad & wouldnt do that. plus he would have to deal with the wrath of me too!
wishfire On December 01, 2011

San Angelo, Texas
#19New Post! Nov 30, 2011 @ 21:02:43
In all honesty I think it could go either or. But, i do think most deffinately that our parents play a role in it. Take me for instance, my mom chose an abusive step parent, from her I learned that i will never let a man treat me like that.
Tequila_Sunrise On February 15, 2023
Bom Chika wah wah ..

In your imagination, Australia
#20New Post! Nov 30, 2011 @ 21:05:17
My parents relationship is kind of an odd one. They are divorced, yet back together again for the third time. They spend every night drunk as skunk, and argue with each other.

My first relationship was VERY similar. I used to let him speak to me like dirt, get drunk and abuse me. I finally left him.

Now I am happier than ever, and attempting to let go of the past, and abusive behaviour that I have picked up over the years.
Leon On March 30, 2024

San Diego, California
#21New Post! Nov 30, 2011 @ 21:10:13
This usually occurs, but not always. I'm happy to say that it hopefully is the case for me, having come from parents that were happily married to death, and grandparents who were married for 60 plus years.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs