USB 3.0

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
davii On January 14, 2013
I'm Awesome

Deleted

London, United Kingdom
#1New Post! Nov 24, 2011 @ 18:41:15
Anyone making use of USB 3.0 peripherals at all, or more to the point, successfully?

I'm having issues and Googling info has brought up little in the way of definitive pointers as to whether there's something I've missed or done wrong somewhere along the lines...
Electric_Banana On February 05, 2024

, New Zealand
#2New Post! Nov 24, 2011 @ 19:41:41
The USB ports on my 'puter are roughly eight years old but modern day flash sticks still work quite well with them.

My electric drawing tablet and game pad work well with them too.

I'm not quite sure how much more ground breaking 3.0 technology would be than the 2.0 I have now and this is the first time that I've heard of it's existence right along side with concern that 3.0 peripherals just are not all that flash *hyuck hyuck*
woodss On February 26, 2024

#3New Post! Nov 24, 2011 @ 20:33:43
8 years old huh. Thats just about nearly worn out.
about in 2008, I had my computer completely replaced.

Every 5 years, I have it rebuilt, completely, however I have done something different, I have prepared my Core 2 Duo, to be upgradeable to later version, since it all uses SATA drives now.

All I need to do is change the RAM, Motherboard and CPU. I upgraded the video card and replaced the hard drives this year.
Electric_Banana On February 05, 2024

, New Zealand
#4New Post! Nov 24, 2011 @ 20:51:18
@woodss Said

Every 5 years, I have it rebuilt, completely, however I have done something different, I have prepared my Core 2 Duo, to be upgradeable to later version, since it all uses SATA drives now.

All I need to do is change the RAM, Motherboard and CPU. I upgraded the video card and replaced the hard drives this year.

Mine was originally a Compaq Presario that my partner had let become infested with spyware and hackers.

Dealing with local friendly junk shops here I managed to get my hands on quite a few cheap or free components.

Three years ago when I first attempted to run a game on here I was questioning rather or not Sid Meier's Pirates! would be manageable. Nowadays I'm getting some 360 and PS3 quality games to run.

What has helped to keep my old PC running is good house keeping resulting in less stress and wear and tear on the critical components like CPU and motherboard.

A lot of game developers consider that mainstream PC users are usually overran with adware and jumbled registeries so therefor mark up the minimum reqs for their games but, for instance, if you keep a clean hard drive you'll often times find that one gig of RAM is manageable even though many software vendors suggest having two.
galastaray On June 08, 2016
honey bucket

Deleted

Honey Bucket, Reunion
#5New Post! Nov 24, 2011 @ 21:03:38
@davii Said

Anyone making use of USB 3.0 peripherals at all, or more to the point, successfully?

I'm having issues and Googling info has brought up little in the way of definitive pointers as to whether there's something I've missed or done wrong somewhere along the lines...

Both the port and the flash drive itself have to be of USB 3.0 technology for you to be able to use it. Are you sure both are 3.0?
honey bucket

Deleted

Honey Bucket, Reunion
#6New Post! Nov 24, 2011 @ 21:05:35
@woodss Said

Yeah, 5 years seems good enough for me for a mobo/CPU. But a GPU (if I have money to burn) is usually replaced every 3 years or so with me because of my gaming.
woodss On February 26, 2024

#7New Post! Nov 24, 2011 @ 21:08:19
Well this machine is on its 2nd Video card, due to a upgrade.
I'm Awesome

Deleted

London, United Kingdom
#8New Post! Nov 24, 2011 @ 21:14:44
@galasTAray Said

Both the port and the flash drive itself have to be of USB 3.0 technology for you to be able to use it. Are you sure both are 3.0?

It's a USB 3.0 enclosure, appropriate cable etc, so uhuh.
honey bucket

Deleted

Honey Bucket, Reunion
#9New Post! Nov 24, 2011 @ 21:17:47
@davii Said

It's a USB 3.0 enclosure, appropriate cable etc, so uhuh.

Then you might have a problem with your drivers. Did you check Device Manager?
I'm Awesome

Deleted

London, United Kingdom
#10New Post! Nov 24, 2011 @ 21:19:28
@galasTAray Said

Then you might have a problem with your drivers. Did you check Device Manager?

Uhuh. Initially ok, then it starts with the "!" stuff. Updated all drivers, but same thing.

PC acknowledges somethings there, but no drive shows up
honey bucket

Deleted

Honey Bucket, Reunion
#11New Post! Nov 25, 2011 @ 15:25:24
@davii Said

Uhuh. Initially ok, then it starts with the "!" stuff. Updated all drivers, but same thing.

PC acknowledges somethings there, but no drive shows up

You have to fix the ones with the exclamation point. Just keep trying and look up the specific names of the drivers with the errors if you can't find anything.
I'm Awesome

Deleted

London, United Kingdom
#12New Post! Nov 26, 2011 @ 03:42:55
@galasTAray Said

You have to fix the ones with the exclamation point. Just keep trying and look up the specific names of the drivers with the errors if you can't find anything.

Tested the drive on a few other PCs, both internal/external and nothing, so looks like a sudden random drive failure.

Whether the use of the USB 3.0 enclosure and ports had anything to do with it, I've no idea.
lefty On July 19, 2018
AKA: friendlybear

Oh, Canada
#13New Post! Nov 26, 2011 @ 03:59:02
It should be backward compatible, I think your issue is most likely drivers. Check the manufacturers website.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs