The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums:
Relationships

In-Laws & how your partner gets on with your folks?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
treebee On April 13, 2015
Government Hooker

London, United Kingdom
#1New Post! Nov 24, 2011 @ 17:26:08
How do you get on with your partner's family? And how does your family feel about your partner?

Has your choice of partner caused a rift with you and your family or with them and their family?

Also is it really important for everyone to get along or can you just cut those who did not approve out of your life?

Did your family ever turn out to be right about a partner but you couldn't see it at the time?
Dark_Tink On December 30, 2018
<3 Boobie <3

, Canada
#2New Post! Nov 24, 2011 @ 17:46:17
I get along very well with my in-laws and the same goes for my husband.

His parents just adore me. They joke about if we broke up, they would spend more time with me then their son.

My parents at first were a little leery about Ken. He is a few years younger then me and iI had a 4yr old when we met. They love him though and my mom pestesr him as she does with my sister and I.

My sister-in-law and I are very close. When myself, my sis and sis-in-law get together, watch out! Ken and my sister get along very well too. He was protective of her when her and her ex split up(her kids father).

I admit, we both got lucky when it comes to in-laws. My mom-in-law had a terrible time with her mother-in-law for more then 10yrs. She vowed she would never be like that. She is such a sweetie.
restoreone On January 30, 2022

, Ohio
#3New Post! Nov 24, 2011 @ 17:49:24
My wife and mom got along fine.
I married up a dumb jock Her and her family private colleges. There was some issues but we worked through them.
lefty On July 19, 2018
AKA: friendlybear

Oh, Canada
#4New Post! Nov 24, 2011 @ 17:53:37
That's a lot of questions.

I get along just fine with Jan's adult children, They say I'm the best thing happened to their mom, ever.

Her mother was a very lively person and we got on well. Her sister on the other hand, doesn't like me much, but that's okay, she doesn't come around mooching much anymore.

My family all love Jan, but even if they didn't they would be happy that I'm happy.

In my opinion, it's not that important what others think of your partner, what is important is that the 2 of us stand together.

I'm a pretty likable guy, although my first mother-in-law hated my guts, we still had a good relationship for the 7 years we were married.
treebee On April 13, 2015
Government Hooker

London, United Kingdom
#5New Post! Nov 24, 2011 @ 18:03:35
I had a boyfriend who was awful but his parents were lovely people, I was so sad about breaking up just because his family were so nice
boobear On August 15, 2016

London, United Kingdom
#6New Post! Nov 24, 2011 @ 21:15:38
My family loves neil, even my dad which is a miracle in itself. My gran apparently doesn't shut up about him aww

I get on with neil's family, they've been so lovely & welcoming & they're a really nice friendly family but i wouldn't describe us as close as i've held back a just little as I don't wanna put a foot wrong as they are important to neil, so it's important to me that they like me, it's only recently I've started to totally relax & just think f*** it & we seen to be getting on better than ever
Electric_Banana On February 05, 2024

, New Zealand
#7New Post! Nov 24, 2011 @ 21:17:52
My partner gets along quite well with my folks.....because they're dead.
x_Laura_x On April 02, 2024

Nowhere, United Kingdom
#8New Post! Nov 24, 2011 @ 21:43:48
I get on very well with his family, he only met my dad on Saturday and has not met my mum... we've been seeing each other since January
TaraLovesLiam On March 02, 2014

Portlaoise, Ireland
#9New Post! Nov 24, 2011 @ 22:30:35
@Electric_Banana Said

My partner gets along quite well with my folks.....because they're dead.

I'm sorry but that made me laugh so hard I fell over
TaraLovesLiam On March 02, 2014

Portlaoise, Ireland
#10New Post! Nov 24, 2011 @ 22:32:56
I get on well with my Inlaws but they sometimes can be very bossy.My Liam gets on like a house on fire with my family.They all love him so much they think of him as a part of the family.
chef_mia On December 11, 2012

derry, Ireland
#11New Post! Nov 24, 2011 @ 23:59:42
iv only meet my boyfriends parents once and they loved me and i will be seeing them again on Thursday. His mum has even invited me to an ann summers party with her next firday awkward or what
His parents ar lovely but his sister scares the life out of me as shes in and out of prison alot but she seems to like me thank god. but i hate there dogs which they treat like kids

my parents have only met Chris once but they loved him and ar happy and comfortable with us going away and living together. my sister even likes him and she likes nobody. which is surprising as my family dont like the English

i loved my exs family so much i still talk to his mum and little sister all the time and they would love if i got back with him but my family didnt like him much as he was ex military and my family ar really Irish and hate the army but they accepted the fact i was with him.
chisa96 On December 29, 2014
Supreme Goddess

Out in Nature, Wisconsin
#12New Post! Nov 28, 2011 @ 15:07:07
@treebee Said

How do you get on with your partner's family? And how does your family feel about your partner?

Has your choice of partner caused a rift with you and your family or with them and their family?

Also is it really important for everyone to get along or can you just cut those who did not approve out of your life?

Did your family ever turn out to be right about a partner but you couldn't see it at the time?

Both good.

Nope. Neither. We both get along with our in-laws.

It depends on who you're talking about I suppose, how close you are with whoever has the issues.

My family doesn't express their opinions about the guys I'm with unless I ask, and I've never asked about any before this one.
wishfire On December 01, 2011

San Angelo, Texas
#13New Post! Nov 30, 2011 @ 21:42:44
I married a guy (hes gone now rip), his mom and I fought until the day he died. He and I were married for 6 years, he was air force. I loved him to death, and unfortunately, his mother could never get over losing her son. He eventually told his mother that they were not family anymore. I tried to tell her that she was pushing her son away and I tried to smooth things over. Unfortunately, he couldn&#39;t take her calling me names and being mean to me. So I think it really depends on the situation. Its great if all family can get along, but that doesn&#39;t always happen.
Leon On March 30, 2024

San Diego, California
#14New Post! Nov 30, 2011 @ 21:46:42
A previous girlfriend did not like my folks, which I would have never guessed was something that would greatly concern me, but it did. It made me feel as my family was not worth anything, not to mention it caused tension during visits with them.

It is important to set boundaries and not involve your folks or her folks in much, but at least make them feel liked and loved. I always try and do that with any girl's parents that I have been with.
Sparklegirl On December 13, 2019
LL.M

Cumbria, United Kingdom
#15New Post! Nov 30, 2011 @ 21:52:32
My dad likes my better half, he is yet to meet my mum though but she will love him im sure Ive not met his folks, it will be scary I expect id just hope to make a good impression!

My mum hated the ex & she was totally right about him all along but I just couldnt (wouldnt?) see it at the time. If my family were against my guy thought I would still be with him, I think far too much of him to be influenced by other people's negativity
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs