Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 5
jmo On April 29, 2021
Beruset af Julebryg

Yorkshire, United Kingdom
#61New Post! Oct 29, 2011 @ 23:16:23
@Jacquesmetat Said

Oh god, its so unfair!!!

I love doing this.

Posting silly pictures and comedic videos instead of coming up with an actual argument or point?
Jennifer1984 On July 20, 2022
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#62New Post! Oct 31, 2011 @ 07:01:34
@buffalobill90 Said

I'm sorry that I don't have the time or patience to read and respond to your entire post. I honestly recommend you trim your posts down a bit so that they don't appear so daunting. I respond to your initial point.

I don't recall mentioning social progress. If I was really committed to progress, which I am, I would be dissatisfied enough with the antiquated notion of equality I am currently appealing to. It's a form of equality which was won by the middle classes of the 19th century and is useless or meaningless to most of us. But it is a widely-held principle, that we are born equals, that birth does not grant privilege or special political representation. Most would agree with it. And yet, they would be committed then to republican principles.

Is the monarchy holding the country back? That's one way of framing the problem, but it's not the essence of it. They are not particularly influential; they don't, as you say, hold back reforms as such. It's simply that their continued inheritance of privilege is a blatant hypocrisy, just as hereditary peerage is.

Practically, the royal family could renounce many of the inherited privileges they receive without also losing their function as ambassadors and celebrities. They could start businesses instead of pissing around in the military, for a start. They could stop living in magnificent and unearned luxury, in publicly-funded palaces and private transport with publicly-funded servants.

To have a secular, elected head of state would be preferable. It would be more consistent with our principles of economic and political equality. I personally think Ireland's model of constitutional republican government is acceptable enough; a figurehead president with some constitutional powers.

Firstly, I'm sorry that you find my messages so difficult to read, but I'm afraid that's the way I post and with all due respect, I'm not going to change that. The post is what it is, it makes the points and if you choose not to challenge them, then that is your opportunity lost, I'm afraid. They must stand as written, uncontested and therefore valid.

It is disappointing to me though, because this is a very good discussion and I wish there were more like it.

I agree wholeheartedly your points on equality in principle. We all wish to aspire to a fairer and more just society, however, equality is not always measured in terms of opportunity in a specified area alone. By the general tenor of your argument you suggest that somebody, somewhere out there wishes to wield "Supreme Executive Power" (picking up on the very funny constitutional peasants video supplied by Jacques). I would ask: For what purpose..? Is it in the national interest to introduce a system of government which would be open to political abuse..?

We already have a system of government where the Prime Minister is the de facto highest political figure in the land, with all the powers necessary to govern the people, run the economy.... hell, he can even send us to war against our will. But over and above him is a head of state who is non political and.... should any Prime Minister attempt to abuse his power.... could, theoretically at least, be removed in the name of the Crown.

The PM has all the authority he needs to fulfil the mandate given to him by the people. Why would he want - technically - more than that..? To abuse it.?

Whilst agreeing equality in principle, I do not feel that the constitutional monarchy breaks this principle within the framework of our society. Firstly, for that to happen, the Crown would have to have political status and as I think we would both agree, the Crown is non-political. The Queen is a titular head of state only.

What is good for Ireland is not necessarily relevant elsewhere. Ireland, as an independent state in modern terms only came into existence in the 1920's. The British monarchy had been running for 1100 years already by that time. The Irish were starting with a blank sheet of paper in the modern world and, even allowing for the, not unreasonable assumption that they might not want anything that remotely resembled the British system, they didn't have any sort of dynastic history which might lead them to somebody who they could recognise as being "Royal". Simply put.... they didn't have anybody they could call "King".

I will spare you the history lesson as it probably be a waste of time as (you say) it would be too long to engage your interest, but it is not possible to ignore the historic implications of the monarchy. It is too deeply ingrained in every aspect of our history and constitutional structure to be simply cast aside. I tried to challenge you to face the practical issues of abolition but you chose to ignore them, which is a pity as I think your comments would have been interesting.

@buffalobill90 Said

Also, have you considered that the changes to the rules of succession don't address age discrimination? From the manager of the British republican campaign group:

"These changes change nothing of substance, even if William and Kate have a daughter. All this fuss is about a trivial detail of a succession than may or may not happen in 70 years time.

"The monarchy discriminates against every man, woman and child who isn't born into the Windsor family. To suggest that this has anything to do with equality is utterly absurd. It fails the equality test both in practice and in principle.

"In practice it simply means that the eldest child of one family is preferred over all others. Inequality is therefore further entrenched in the system.

"In principle all children in Britain should have an equal opportunity to stand for the position of Head of State. Anything short of that is an affront to the principles of equality.

"It is extraordinary that we hear serious politicians proclaiming this change as a blow for equal rights. Do they ever stop to ask why the eldest should be favoured over the youngest? Or why the Windsor family should be favoured over all others?"

https://www.republic.org.uk/What%20we%20want/In%20the%20news/?command=fe_show_press_release&press_release_id=370&date__date__year=&date__date__month=&date__date__day=

I find it difficult to take seriously, the charge of age discrimination, when the current monarch is an Octegenarian great grandmother, and her heir is already nearly 63 years old who is likely to be beyond the pensionable age of 65 that the rest of the public recognise, before he even ascends to the throne.

If you had taken the trouble to read my previous message, you would have noticed I raised the issue of the Queen's age in that.

As regards the argument that choosing the firstborn as heir is some form of age discrimination, well, that is a subjective argument. You pays your money you takes your choice.

My understanding of the rules of succession is that the law of prima geniture extends in British law back as far as Norman times and even prior to then, although it wasn't an actual law, it was at least a widely practised principle, and not only in terms of Royal dynasties, it is a general law which relates to the populace as a whole and (please correct me if I'm wrong on this) is still in practice on our statutes to this day, although a concurrent statute of appanage gives younger siblings the opportunity to challenge decisions made where a person dies intestate and feels he has been unfairly treated in the distribution of the deceased's estate.

The Royal houses of Britain, Sweden, Holland, Belgium, Spain, Denmark, Luxembourg, Monaco and Norway practice prima geniture as their system of succession WITH the right of appanage...!! So, should Prince William, as second in line to the throne wish to challenge Charles' accession to the throne upon the Queen's death he would be legally able to do so..!!

There is a history of appanages being granted at the time of the Wars of the Roses..... again, I won't give the historical detail to spare you the read, but I can assure you they happened.

I agree it is extremely unlikely that William would challenge his fathers' constitutional inheritance but the facility exists and it is for him to choose. The availability of that option alone ensures that the charge of age discrimination by BRCG is selective and spurious.... and I suspect deliberately so.... to say the very least.

buffalobill90 On July 12, 2013
Powered by tea

Viaticum, United Kingdom
#63New Post! Nov 01, 2011 @ 13:56:30
@Jennifer1984 Said

Firstly, I'm sorry that you find my messages so difficult to read, but I'm afraid that's the way I post and with all due respect, I'm not going to change that. The post is what it is, it makes the points and if you choose not to challenge them, then that is your opportunity lost, I'm afraid. They must stand as written, uncontested and therefore valid.

It is disappointing to me though, because this is a very good discussion and I wish there were more like it.

That's very fair, but I in particular don't have as much time as I used to and won't be able to give such long posts a correspondingly long response.

@Jennifer1984 Said

I agree wholeheartedly your points on equality in principle. We all wish to aspire to a fairer and more just society, however, equality is not always measured in terms of opportunity in a specified area alone. By the general tenor of your argument you suggest that somebody, somewhere out there wishes to wield "Supreme Executive Power" (picking up on the very funny constitutional peasants video supplied by Jacques). I would ask: For what purpose..? Is it in the national interest to introduce a system of government which would be open to political abuse..?

Like I said, I would advocate a primarily figurehead president with some constitutional powers, like the Irish president. The only point is for anyone in the UK to be able to be the head of state, a democratic outcome.

@Jennifer1984 Said

We already have a system of government where the Prime Minister is the de facto highest political figure in the land, with all the powers necessary to govern the people, run the economy.... hell, he can even send us to war against our will. But over and above him is a head of state who is non political and.... should any Prime Minister attempt to abuse his power.... could, theoretically at least, be removed in the name of the Crown.

The PM has all the authority he needs to fulfil the mandate given to him by the people. Why would he want - technically - more than that..? To abuse it.?

Again, the Prime Minister need not be given the constitutional powers of the monarchy, they could be conceded to a democratically-elected president who is not the head of government. Power could still be divided.

@Jennifer1984 Said

Whilst agreeing equality in principle, I do not feel that the constitutional monarchy breaks this principle within the framework of our society. Firstly, for that to happen, the Crown would have to have political status and as I think we would both agree, the Crown is non-political. The Queen is a titular head of state only.

I would dispute that the monarchy has equal political power to other families. They have special public recognition and receive public resources in order to be ambassadorial representatives, among other functions. And they have formal constitutional powers. They are not our political equals, and this is a result of their inherited privilege, not something they earned or was bestowed upon them by democratic consensus.

But I am also appealing to economic principles of equality (outdated ones, in my opinion, but widely cherished), in which everyone is given the same chances and receives no publicly conferred advantage in terms of their economic means. The royal family is given such means by the state. They inherit the right to this public wealth according to their bloodline. This is blatantly anachronistic.

@Jennifer1984 Said

What is good for Ireland is not necessarily relevant elsewhere. Ireland, as an independent state in modern terms only came into existence in the 1920's. The British monarchy had been running for 1100 years already by that time. The Irish were starting with a blank sheet of paper in the modern world and, even allowing for the, not unreasonable assumption that they might not want anything that remotely resembled the British system, they didn't have any sort of dynastic history which might lead them to somebody who they could recognise as being "Royal". Simply put.... they didn't have anybody they could call "King".

I'm only proposing that if we weren't to have a monarchy, there are acceptable models for a head of state elsewhere.

@Jennifer1984 Said

I find it difficult to take seriously, the charge of age discrimination, when the current monarch is an Octegenarian great grandmother, and her heir is already nearly 63 years old who is likely to be beyond the pensionable age of 65 that the rest of the public recognise, before he even ascends to the throne.

If you had taken the trouble to read my previous message, you would have noticed I raised the issue of the Queen's age in that.

As regards the argument that choosing the firstborn as heir is some form of age discrimination, well, that is a subjective argument. You pays your money you takes your choice.

It is precisely a form of age discrimination. I'm not sure how else to construe it. Which sibling should be monarch? That one. Why, are they most suited to being monarch in terms of their individual merits? They are oldest, and that's all that matters. This is a picture of discrimination: ignoring every personal quality which is actually relevant to the role in question and choosing instead on the basis of a quality over which the prospective has no control; be that their gender, race or age. It is relative age, of course, that is the basis of discrimination, not absolute age as you point out. Remind me how that's more acceptable.

@Jennifer1984 Said

My understanding of the rules of succession is that the law of prima geniture extends in British law back as far as Norman times and even prior to then, although it wasn't an actual law, it was at least a widely practised principle, and not only in terms of Royal dynasties, it is a general law which relates to the populace as a whole and (please correct me if I'm wrong on this) is still in practice on our statutes to this day, although a concurrent statute of appanage gives younger siblings the opportunity to challenge decisions made where a person dies intestate and feels he has been unfairly treated in the distribution of the deceased's estate.

The Royal houses of Britain, Sweden, Holland, Belgium, Spain, Denmark, Luxembourg, Monaco and Norway practice prima geniture as their system of succession WITH the right of appanage...!! So, should Prince William, as second in line to the throne wish to challenge Charles' accession to the throne upon the Queen's death he would be legally able to do so..!!

There is a history of appanages being granted at the time of the Wars of the Roses..... again, I won't give the historical detail to spare you the read, but I can assure you they happened.

I agree it is extremely unlikely that William would challenge his fathers' constitutional inheritance but the facility exists and it is for him to choose. The availability of that option alone ensures that the charge of age discrimination by BRCG is selective and spurious.... and I suspect deliberately so.... to say the very least.

Can't Harry make such a challenge? If not, why not? What good reason is there to discriminate against Harry besides the fact that he is younger than William? Why can't Catherine be queen?

More importantly, why can't anyone but the Windsor family be monarchs?

I just think that talking about this change in the rules of succession as progress in reaching a more equal society is a tiny, tiny victory considering it is happening in the context of an institution which is defined by bloodline-inequality. We are not the equals of the royals on account of our inferior bloodline; that is the historical root of royalty. I'm not asking that the royals pay for the centuries of inequality that their very existence entails, only that they refuse to profit from such a heritage.
Jacquesmetat On August 01, 2012

Out on the 'oggin, United King
#64New Post! Nov 01, 2011 @ 14:17:05
I'm not asking that the royals pay for the centuries of inequality that their very existence entails, only that they refuse to profit from such a heritage << Buffalo Bill

So where is the profit? actually the profit is made to the exchecquer. The royal family make far more money for britain in terms of trade and tourism than is spent on them by means of the civil list.

we have to have royal bloodline because that is the very essence of continuity. The monarchy is all about continuity and that means dynastic lineage. The king is dead, long live the king.

one of the biggest crises in the history of the monarchy was the refusal of elizabeth the first to marry. the country was terrified that there would be no heir to the throne. It was a constant source of concern to the people. But just watch what happens when a baby is born to the heir to the throne. The public are reassured that the line will continue. The monarchy will prevail. And you want to tear that down.

you talk about voting for this and voting for that as if democracy is not everything, it is the ONLY thing. thats bollocks. Life isnt fair. get over it. some people rise to the top in life and some people dont. some achieve greatness and others have it thrust upon them. that is the way of the world.

what all your arguments boil down to is that you get well pissed off because you see the gold carriage and the palace and say why cant i have that? The answer is because your not good enough but you dont like that answer so your next sentence is, well if i cant have it nobody should so i want to destroy it. that luddite attitude is precisely what abolitionism is all about. but you dress it up as democracy. Given half a chance you would be the first one running up the stairs to try out the gold bed and the ladies in waiting.

I wont argue history with you or the fine points of political theory, all I care about is that the country carries on running with a sense of continuity and purpose and that there is somebody there who has the right sense of duty. For me the royalty ticks every single box.

its about loyalty. its about duty. its about standing for something that is above the grubby, sleazy world of politics where charlatans can worm their way into their own little world of privilege without giving anything back and then make sure they stay there and still call it democracy.

Royalty stands for duty and loyalty to the people. it stands for continuity and stability in our country. It stands for uniting all our various races under one symbol. It stands for all the things you despise and would destroy in the name of your jealousy. Thats the truth of it.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 5

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs