Television

Sesame Street Channel Is On Its Way To Great Britain

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Jennifer1984 On July 20, 2022
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#1New Post! Oct 16, 2011 @ 14:39:27
The Public Broadcasting Service (PBS) in the US is about to launch PBS(UK), a channel devoted to US history, science and arts on Sky and Virgin.

As well as bringing Sesame Street, programmes such as Front Line and News Hour will also follow. These programmes, I hear tell, have conducted investigations into American foreign policy.

PBS(UK) launches on 1 November with Prohibition, a series about the banning of alcohol in the US.

Richard Kingsbury, PBS(UK)'s general manager said "British viewers are accustomed to seeing American entertainment on British channels, there are also high quality factual programmes coming out of the US that criticise the government and seek out the truth."

Now, THAT could be interesting..!!

Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#2New Post! Oct 16, 2011 @ 14:48:22
As an adjunct to my OP, I wonder if we will get to see "Lily, the Hungry Muppet" on PBS(UK)..?

Lily is cute, she's pink and.... she's hungry. In an effort to reflect the harsh realities of recession-era America, the makers of Sesame Street have introduced this new puppet whose chief character trait is that she lives on the breadline.

Only recently introduced in the US, she is aimed at educating the public about the growing proportion of US families who are living in what sociologists are calling "Food Insecurity".

The first programme began with Lily showing Elmo around an urban food pantry, the modern day equivalent of a soup kitchen. Her parents have been hit hard by the recession.

Lily is designed to persuade young viewers to empathise with their less fortunate peers. Programme producer Melissa Dino told Newsweek "The message we are putting out to children is to be a friend. We knew we wanted a character who was a child for children in the audience who had experienced this and would be reassured."

There are no plans for Lily to become a full time part of Sesame Street, but her appearance follows a long tradition of characters on the show attempting to educate young children about pressing social issues.

MAW On October 31, 2012

Deleted

Stockport, United Kingdom
#3New Post! Oct 16, 2011 @ 15:32:45
I loved Sesame Street as a child and glad it has it's own channel. Lets hope the current generation of programmes are as much fun as the original show. The characters & the visuals.
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#4New Post! Oct 17, 2011 @ 06:05:25
@MAW Said

I loved Sesame Street as a child and glad it has it's own channel. Lets hope the current generation of programmes are as much fun as the original show. The characters & the visuals.

Yes, most enjoyable and highly informative. We used to have a similar programme here, called Rainbow, although it wasn't anywere near as good as Sesame Street. But it had its place and the characters were fun and loveable.
Eaglebauer On July 23, 2019
Deleted

Saint Louis, Missouri
#5New Post! Oct 17, 2011 @ 06:59:24
Does anyone here remember this guy at all?

He was called Letterman and he was my favorite thing from Sesame Street when I used to watch it in the late 70s. He was a superhero who flew around replacing missing letters in words.

I've asked a lot of folks and for some reason I'm the only one who seems to remember him.
Wellard On April 29, 2012
ect.. .

Deleted

In your Mind, Cape Verde
#6New Post! Oct 17, 2011 @ 07:29:03
@Jennifer1984 Said

The Public Broadcasting Service (PBS) in the US is about to launch PBS(UK), a channel devoted to US history, science and arts on Sky and Virgin.

You forgot to add the channel will only be on air for half an hour a day
Jacquesmetat On August 01, 2012

Out on the 'oggin, United King
#7New Post! Oct 17, 2011 @ 15:39:53
@Jennifer1984 Said

As an adjunct to my OP, I wonder if we will get to see "Lily, the Hungry Muppet" on PBS(UK)..?

Lily is cute, she's pink and.... she's hungry. In an effort to reflect the harsh realities of recession-era America, the makers of Sesame Street have introduced this new puppet whose chief character trait is that she lives on the breadline.

Sesame street was brought to you today by the number 3, which is precisely the number of calories consumed by Lily today.
Rini On January 16, 2014

, Georgia
#8New Post! Oct 28, 2011 @ 17:23:54
hmmm I was under the impression that this channel broadcast all over the world but apparently I was wrong. Interesting though thanks!
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs