The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums:
Society & Lifestyles

Moral standards replaced by feelings

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
hoppy On August 27, 2013

#1New Post! Sep 24, 2011 @ 12:00:22
With the death of Judeo-Christian God-based standards, people have simply substituted feelings for those standards. Millions of American young people have been raised by parents and schools with “How do you feel about it?” as the only guide to what they ought to do. The heart has replaced God and the Bible as a moral guide. And now, as Brooks points out, we see the results. A vast number of American young people do not even ask whether an action is right or wrong. The question would strike them as foreign. Why? Because the question suggests that there is a right and wrong outside of themselves. And just as there is no God higher than them, there is no morality higher than them, either.

https://www.nationalreview.com/articles/277693/why-young-americans-can-t-think-morally-dennis-prager#
chisa96 On December 29, 2014
Supreme Goddess

Out in Nature, Wisconsin
#2New Post! Sep 24, 2011 @ 12:36:44
Our human morality and "feelings" is what dictated the judeo-christian standards in the first place.
hoppy On August 27, 2013

#3New Post! Sep 24, 2011 @ 13:44:06
@chisa96 Said

Our human morality and "feelings" is what dictated the judeo-christian standards in the first place.

Got a link?
white_swan53 On October 07, 2020

n/a, New Mexico
#4New Post! Sep 24, 2011 @ 13:53:10
@hoppy Said

With the death of Judeo-Christian God-based standards, people have simply substituted feelings for those standards. Millions of American young people have been raised by parents and schools with “How do you feel about it?” as the only guide to what they ought to do. The heart has replaced God and the Bible as a moral guide. And now, as Brooks points out, we see the results. A vast number of American young people do not even ask whether an action is right or wrong. The question would strike them as foreign. Why? Because the question suggests that there is a right and wrong outside of themselves. And just as there is no God higher than them, there is no morality higher than them, either.

https://www.nationalreview.com/articles/277693/why-young-americans-can-t-think-morally-dennis-prager#

This might explain why at times ,America's mind set / attitudes resembles an ant hill after someone has disturbed it.
hoppy On August 27, 2013

#5New Post! Sep 24, 2011 @ 14:18:19
America is in a state of moral bankruptcy. We need to get back to the good old fashioned values of our parents and grandparents. My dad seldom layed a hand on me but I still see my gramps in my memory, raising his fist and saying, "I'll knock ya on yer ass".
white_swan53 On October 07, 2020

n/a, New Mexico
#6New Post! Sep 24, 2011 @ 14:51:12
@hoppy Said

America is in a state of moral bankruptcy. We need to get back to the good old fashioned values of our parents and grandparents. My dad seldom layed a hand on me but I still see my gramps in my memory, raising his fist and saying, "I'll knock ya on yer ass".

I have often thought about what is referred to as 'good old fashioned values' , I was raised mostly by my dads parents and their idea of an 'unhappy kid' was one that wasn't doing something constructive and their was never any talk about allowance for chores , they stood firm on the concept that we had a roof over our heads , clothes on our backs and all we could eat 3 times a day and in return we were expected to help out around the place . My grand dad had an eagle eye for finding a chore for any kid he spotted that wasn't doing something.
Some kids today won't do anything without the promise of being paid an allowance . I have a niece that 'pays' her 3 kids each $20.00 a week for keeping their own rooms picked up and helping her do the light house work. And by helping her ,I mean they will only help her do something if she is doing some chore. They won't do the dishes or dust or yard work without a parent doing the same . It seems that this kind of thing is the 'norm' for families in my nieces ' neighborhood' .
My neices kids respond with disbelief and statements like 'slave drivers ' and ' that's just so very wrong' when they hear how their great grand parents thought an unhappy kids 'problem' was .
hoppy On August 27, 2013

#7New Post! Sep 24, 2011 @ 15:10:08
@white_swan53 Said

I have often thought about what is referred to as 'good old fashioned values' , I was raised mostly by my dads parents and their idea of an 'unhappy kid' was one that wasn't doing something constructive and their was never any talk about allowance for chores , they stood firm on the concept that we had a roof over our heads , clothes on our backs and all we could eat 3 times a day and in return we were expected to help out around the place . My grand dad had an eagle eye for finding a chore for any kid he spotted that wasn't doing something.
Some kids today won't do anything without the promise of being paid an allowance . I have a niece that 'pays' her 3 kids each $20.00 a week for keeping their own rooms picked up and helping her do the light house work. And by helping her ,I mean they will only help her do something if she is doing some chore. They won't do the dishes or dust or yard work without a parent doing the same . It seems that this kind of thing is the 'norm' for families in my nieces ' neighborhood' .
My neices kids respond with disbelief and statements like 'slave drivers ' and ' that's just so very wrong' when they hear how their great grand parents thought an unhappy kids 'problem' was .

Your grandad was like an uncle I had who owned a neighboring farm. Our houses were close together. Too close. From his backyard he could see most of our back yard. If he saw me idling around, next thing I knew he was right there saying "hey Hop, give me a hand with something". That man just couldn't stand to see me without a hoe, spade or axe in my hands.
I was expected to do chores around the house and didn't see any money but I got everything I needed. Sometimes a relative or two would give me a bit of cash for my birthday or Christmas. When I got big enough to drive tractors and handle bales of hay I started hiring out to other farmers for cash.
chisa96 On December 29, 2014
Supreme Goddess

Out in Nature, Wisconsin
#8New Post! Sep 24, 2011 @ 18:22:41
@hoppy Said

Got a link?

A link that proves whether the judeo-christian moral standard is man-made or divine? Lol. No. There is no link for that.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs