The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums:
Religion & Philosophy

Are there really any older holy books than the bible as some believe?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2
Willi On August 21, 2018

northinmind,
#16New Post! Sep 04, 2011 @ 01:38:15
@woodss Said

We had a long period to develop digital technology, it took most last two decades of the 19th and 20th century to develop it, now we are in the 21st century and it take perhaps another half to bring life to close to the Jetson like life.

untill we counter gravity, flight burns major fuel.
MadCornishBiker On January 14, 2014

Banned

St Columb Road, United Kingdom
#17New Post! Sep 04, 2011 @ 01:51:46
@vekta Said

So you're saying The earth and human kind has only been in existence for at most 3,000 years? That makes no sense what-so-ever...

No, it wouldn't because that is not what I am saying. Mankind has been in existence for a somewhere between 6,000 and 7,000 years. No-one knows how long the earth has been in existence because the bible doesn't tell us at what point God created it, or the universe it sits in. before anyone jumps up and say that they have found humanoid skeletons much older than that there are two answers to that one. True they are humanoid, but are they human, we will never know, after all the other primates are very similar. Secondly, even radio carbon dating is, at best either an assumption or a guess because it is all very well knowing what th radiation levels are, and what the current decay levels are, but we do not know the starting point, nor whether or not the decay rate has changed.

As an illustration. Suppose I pointed to a water tank of known capacity, told you there was a leak in it, and asked you to tell me how long it had been leaking is there any way you could tell me? No because you don't know how full the tank was in the first place, nor if the leak has remained constant, it may for all you know have either increased or decreased since it started leaking. something may have added water to it since it started leaking, or even drained water off it.

The further back you try to go in time, the more chance there is of errors creeping in to the radio carbon dating calculations.

Of course I cannot prove that my doubts are valid, they may be, they may not, the one thing I do know beyond any reasonable doubt is that what the bible says happened, happened.
Willi On August 21, 2018

northinmind,
#18New Post! Sep 04, 2011 @ 01:56:12
@MadCornishBiker Said

Of course I cannot prove that my doubts are valid, they may be, they may not, the one thing I do know beyond any reasonable doubt is that what the bible says happened, happened.

let us asume that true.
what about other books that talk of god.
are they real?
vekta On November 18, 2013

#19New Post! Sep 04, 2011 @ 02:03:38
@MadCornishBiker Said

No, it wouldn't because that is not what I am saying. Mankind has been in existence for a somewhere between 6,000 and 7,000 years. No-one knows how long the earth has been in existence because the bible doesn't tell us at what point God created it, or the universe it sits in. before anyone jumps up and say that they have found humanoid skeletons much older than that there are two answers to that one. True they are humanoid, but are they human, we will never know, after all the other primates are very similar. Secondly, even radio carbon dating is, at best either an assumption or a guess because it is all very well knowing what th radiation levels are, and what the current decay levels are, but we do not know the starting point, nor whether or not the decay rate has changed.

As an illustration. Suppose I pointed to a water tank of known capacity, told you there was a leak in it, and asked you to tell me how long it had been leaking is there any way you could tell me? No because you don't know how full the tank was in the first place, nor if the leak has remained constant, it may for all you know have either increased or decreased since it started leaking. something may have added water to it since it started leaking, or even drained water off it.

The further back you try to go in time, the more chance there is of errors creeping in to the radio carbon dating calculations.

Just makin sure... *the eye*

Banned

#20New Post! Sep 04, 2011 @ 02:07:09
@vekta Said

Just makin sure... *the eye*

Making sure what we are all supposed to do, which is why I not only don't mind when people question what I post in here I hope that they will then check it out for themselves. Even Paul said that people should make sure he was actually imitating Christ before they imitated him. I ask no more than that.
Pcptrvanion On November 10, 2014

Howe, Texas
#21New Post! Sep 04, 2011 @ 02:40:37
@2nd_Evil_Head Said

Hard to argue with that, and all those other stories that are similar to stories in the Bible, such as the Song of Gilgamesh, the Greek tale of Phyra and Deucalion(a flood story exactly like the one in the bible), oh and the story of Prometheus, which is very close to the fall of Satan(if you consider the apocrypha), all those stories stole their ideas from the Bible, because it was clearly written first, regardless of any evidence to the contrary. The Israelites never allowed themselves to be influenced by the cultures they came in contact with, such as the Greeks, Egyptians, and Romans, even though those cultures clearly had an influence on each other, and so the Bible is also pure, and direct from Yahweh on his splendid Merkebah(throne).

The tale of Gilgamesh encountering the Flood survivor was first written down around 2100 BCE and pre-dates the first writtings of Genesis by over a thousand years.

Howe, Texas
#22New Post! Sep 04, 2011 @ 02:47:20
@MadCornishBiker Said

If there has been any Plagiarism it has been the other cultures plagiarising God's word.

Yeah...don't let the FACTS bother you.
Large portions of the Five Books of Moses are stolen directly from older texts.
Babylonian, Persian, and Egyptian...all of which had been writting down their beliefs for eons before the Jews ever got around to it.

"Books of Moses" - ALL of the evidence points to the books being written centuries after Moses died. Most scholars believe that Genesis was written around the sixth century BCE...AFTER cultural contamination from the Babylonians and Persians...and centuries after leaving Egypt.
2nd_Evil_Head On March 24, 2015

Elmira,
#23New Post! Sep 04, 2011 @ 02:51:49
@Pcptrvanion Said

The tale of Gilgamesh encountering the Flood survivor was first written down around 2100 BCE and pre-dates the first writtings of Genesis by over a thousand years.

Yes, that was actually sarcasm, but I guess I played it a little too straight

Howe, Texas
#24New Post! Sep 04, 2011 @ 03:02:03
The Pyramid Text - the oldest copy dates to about 2400 BCE

Sumerian religious texts (including the sagas of Gilgamesh) - date to around 2150 BCE

Hinduism began writting their beliefs down around 1700 BCE

Zoroastrian Avesta - a Middle Eastern religion that also influenced Judaism - can date their text to about 1000 BCE

The five Books of Moses were actually compiled from at least four seperate sources dating from 900 to 600 BCE. Most scholars believe that they were unified into their current form sometime around 540 BCE

Howe, Texas
#25New Post! Sep 04, 2011 @ 03:07:51
@MadCornishBiker Said

True...to a point.
The farther back you go the greater the margin of error (and any good scientist will include that margin of error in the report).
...but it is typically accurate to within 50 years as far back as 10,000 years ago.

And you failed to mention that Radio Carbon Dating is only one of many methods used to determine age. When multiple methods are used and cross-referenced then the result is generally accurate.
woodss On February 26, 2024

#26New Post! Sep 04, 2011 @ 03:29:57
@Pcptrvanion Said

True...to a point.
The farther back you go the greater the margin of error (and any good scientist will include that margin of error in the report).
...but it is typically accurate to within 50 years as far back as 10,000 years ago.

And you failed to mention that Radio Carbon Dating is only one of many methods used to determine age. When multiple methods are used and cross-referenced then the result is generally accurate.

The earth is 6,011 years old not 10,000 you goose.
Not millions of years old.

People need to study their Bibles So many theroies to confuse people, false worship and such.

And false teaching and printing up lies to people misleading them and you can guess where it comes from? Satan himself.

Banned

#27New Post! Sep 04, 2011 @ 11:13:41
@Pcptrvanion Said

Yeah...don't let the FACTS bother you.
Large portions of the Five Books of Moses are stolen directly from older texts.
Babylonian, Persian, and Egyptian...all of which had been writting down their beliefs for eons before the Jews ever got around to it.

"Books of Moses" - ALL of the evidence points to the books being written centuries after Moses died. Most scholars believe that Genesis was written around the sixth century BCE...AFTER cultural contamination from the Babylonians and Persians...and centuries after leaving Egypt.

Actually the facts are the only things that bother me, always have been, always will be. Of course first you have to accept that they are facts, lol.

If I were you I'd check your evidence, very few bible scholars believe that any more.

Banned

#28New Post! Sep 04, 2011 @ 11:19:10
@Pcptrvanion Said

True...to a point.

That is a matter of dispute, some scientists have said that after 3,500 years the error levels could be 50% or more. The trouble is no-one can prove it either way, because we simply don't have the data.

Knowing how important it was to the writers to get bible chronology right, literally a matter of life or death to them, I tend to trust it first and then look at other sources.

You might find it difficult to understand who something like that can be so important, to people, but then many people today find it hard to care that much about anything outside their own heads. The last 60 years plus especially have fostered a very much "me first" mentality.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs