The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums:
Q & A

Immigration Status of Abandoned Children?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
boobagins On August 03, 2013
SPICY HOT TAMALES

Astral Weeks, Florida
#1New Post! Aug 30, 2011 @ 03:03:37
What happens to kids of illegal immigrants if they are abandoned or left without guardians/caretakers?

For example, if a couple illegally immigrated from Canada to America with their four year old kid and the couple either die or something happens to them and somehow social services get a call for the kid, what happens to them? And no, I don't mean that the kid was born in the U.S, the kid too is illegal...

Do they become American citizens because they are in the state's custody? What if they have no family to deport them back to Canada? Do they have to go through an immigration process? What if the children are found with absolutely no papers?
2nd_Evil_Head On March 24, 2015

Elmira,
#2New Post! Aug 30, 2011 @ 03:07:08
I think they get used for science experiments in secret government labs.

Seriously, good question, don't know.
Eaglebauer On July 23, 2019
Deleted

Saint Louis, Missouri
#3New Post! Aug 30, 2011 @ 03:15:53
I am pretty sure they are considered US Citizens at that point. A friend of mine's grandmother was found in New York city when she was just over a year old next to a dead woman in a tenement who authorities can only assume was her mother. They were able to determine that the woman was not a US citizen, but my friend's grandmother became a ward of the state and was adopted out to an American family.

Of course this would have been within the first two decades of the 20th century, so laws may have changed since then.
CXI On February 05, 2013

, Australia
#4New Post! Aug 30, 2011 @ 03:58:24
send 'em back to a living relective. if none... send 'em back
Richard142 On February 15, 2015

Greater London, United Kingdom
#5New Post! Aug 30, 2011 @ 07:15:01
@Eaglebauer Said

I am pretty sure they are considered US Citizens at that point. A friend of mine's grandmother was found in New York city when she was just over a year old next to a dead woman in a tenement who authorities can only assume was her mother. They were able to determine that the woman was not a US citizen, but my friend's grandmother became a ward of the state and was adopted out to an American family.
Of course this would have been within the first two decades of the 20th century, so laws may have changed since then.

This shows a humanitarian side of the USofA. I hope all countries would act this way. Sending them 'home' would be abandonment.
Some parents who want their children to either escape persecution or just have a better life, demonstrate an amazing love by so getting their children into England, usually via Heathrow, by 'abandoning' them without any documents. Their parents might well fear they would not get asylum as so many English think, or are reported as thinking, that England is accepting too many migrants.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs