Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 5 6
EtoTheeyepipower On February 06, 2012

Deleted

Anaheim, California
#76New Post! Aug 10, 2011 @ 03:08:41
@shinobinoz Said

That is good. But there still exist some potential problems there. Standardized testing is not generally fair to certain minorities & cultures.

I heard it explained best on a program on NPR. I don't recall the city (someone know this story?) Baltimore maybe? Anyway he was forced to use standardized testing as police chief in hiring cadets. What he ended up with was a nearly all white force. There were plenty of problems with the different communities & some of the highest scoring candidates turned out to be some of the worst officers. When he looked at other types of testing he found plenty of minority candidates who ended up being his best officers.

His moral?
He was being forced to choose a football team of either all fast tall receiver types or all heavy muscular big linemen when what worked best was a combination of talents and world-views.

Well, of course one would want a test that actually works. If the test were to pick people who could not fix machines and could not deal with customers, then maybe they would change the test. And I don't think it was a standardized test. And the test is just the beginning. After one is hired, one constantly goes to school.

As an example of a candidate which my friend says he would not have picked, he gave me this book.

What Becomes of the Brokenhearted by E Lynn Harris

Harris' experience at IBM parallels events that happened to some of my friend's employees. It's a sad, but also happy story.
ThePainefulTruth On May 06, 2013
Verum est Deus

Deleted

Peoria, Arizona
#77New Post! Aug 10, 2011 @ 06:53:39
@shinobinoz Said

*not what social justice is* ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

You get funny when you get confused!

You said sj is not about outcomes the process. I asked, a process to do what? You ignored the question--yet I'M the one who's confused.

And before we can decide on the details of what we're looking for, we need to find the goal. Otherwise some just cast around while others make stuff up to suit themselves.
shinobinoz On May 28, 2017
Stnd w Standing Rock

Wichita, Kansas
#78New Post! Aug 10, 2011 @ 17:44:41
@ThePainefulTruth Said

You said sj is not about outcomes the process. I asked, a process to do what? You ignored the question--yet I'M the one who's confused.

And before we can decide on the details of what we're looking for, we need to find the goal. Otherwise some just cast around while others make stuff up to suit themselves.

I was responding to the nonsense posted by you directly above that post. What you described was not social justice.
nooneinparticular On March 16, 2023

, Hawaii
#79New Post! Aug 10, 2011 @ 20:01:26
@ThePainefulTruth Said

So, because the Left decides to make equal opportunity = equal outcome, that settles it, no matter how bastardized it makes any concept of justice?

I think your the one who isn't understanding MY point...

I am rejecting your assumption that 'the Left decides to make equal opportunity = equal outcome'.

I would need evidence to contrary. And I suspect that our definition of 'equal outcome' is different too...

Quote:

Don't remember it, but sometimes I have no alternative but to bail due to the intransigence of the blind faith of who I'm talking to. Tell me you're not familiar with that.

Not really.

When I don't agree with something, I use one of two methods. Step-by-step, illustrated reasoning and logic, or ask for evidence of the claim.

The funny thing is, this more than likely gets the opponent to give up way before I feel like doing so, so I don't really experience that very often.

But hell, you know how my argument style works. I've used it on you often enough.
Verum est Deus

Deleted

Peoria, Arizona
#80New Post! Aug 11, 2011 @ 14:04:59
@nooneinparticular Said
And I suspect that our definition of 'equal outcome' is different too...

Well I've asked and if it's out there, I missed it.
nooneinparticular On March 16, 2023

, Hawaii
#81New Post! Aug 12, 2011 @ 21:38:07
@ThePainefulTruth Said

Well I've asked and if it's out there, I missed it.

You lost me...

Not sure what you're talking about... what's out there?
EtoTheeyepipower On February 06, 2012

Deleted

Anaheim, California
#82New Post! Aug 13, 2011 @ 02:42:15
My Chinese boyfriend has a story about Social Justice.

The story is about a Monk, Bu Tai Ming, who walked along the Silk Road, through the Taklimakan Desert and Afghanistan, across Iran and Iraq, to Palestine. When he arrived at the Mediterranean Sea, he realized that he had transported an ant from China to the Middle East. He immediately returned to China, and he set the ant free.

So I asked, "Is social justice concern for fellow creatures?"

My boyfriend said, "Yes, but Bu Tai Ming stepped on a thousand ants on his way back to China."
Stnd w Standing Rock

Wichita, Kansas
#83New Post! Aug 14, 2011 @ 05:05:04
@EtoTheeyepipower Said

My Chinese boyfriend has a story about Social Justice.

The story is about a Monk, Bu Tai Ming, who walked along the Silk Road, through the Taklimakan Desert and Afghanistan, across Iran and Iraq, to Palestine. When he arrived at the Mediterranean Sea, he realized that he had transported an ant from China to the Middle East. He immediately returned to China, and he set the ant free.

So I asked, "Is social justice concern for fellow creatures?"

My boyfriend said, "Yes, but Bu Tai Ming stepped on a thousand ants on his way back to China."

That isn't it either!
Stnd w Standing Rock

Wichita, Kansas
#84New Post! Aug 14, 2011 @ 05:08:44
Anyone else recognize the coincidence of the writing style of EtoTheeyepipower with that of a previous TFS poster?
Verum est Deus

Deleted

Peoria, Arizona
#85New Post! Aug 16, 2011 @ 18:18:44
@shinobinoz Said

Anyone else recognize the coincidence of the writing style of EtoTheeyepipower with that of a previous TFS poster?

Uhhhhhh, nope.

boxerdc On December 18, 2012

Deleted

#86New Post! Aug 16, 2011 @ 18:21:03
@shinobinoz Said

It couldn't possibly be.. Because that poster didn't have a boyfriend.

I do notice that neither of them ever mentions their mother though.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 5 6

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs