The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums:
Q & A

When do you think a teen/child is ready to start dating?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 3 ...8 9 10 · >>
iamachicken On September 15, 2013

It Burns In, California
#1New Post! Jul 29, 2011 @ 09:00:43
My mom talks to me about dating a lot, mainly about how it has to wait until after I graduate college and about how if I ever get pregnant before graduating high school I'll ruin my life....And then I'd be talking to my friends whose parents allow them to date and notice a huge difference in opinions between our parents. I think those differences are very interesting and I would like to know other parents' positions on this topic as well.

As for me, personally, I agree with my mom that education comes before relationships, but I also feel that getting into the dating scene at a younger age will help the teen be able to tell the differences between good/bad partners in future relationships better than one who waited a lot longer. Which doesn't really matter to me (for now, at least) because I'm not into dating, but I still find it very interesting (lol).
sister_of_mercy On March 11, 2015

London, United Kingdom
#2New Post! Jul 29, 2011 @ 09:07:22
It depends on how mature you are really, everyone's different. I don't think you should let education go before relationships though, it's important to focus on getting good grades. But saying that, you can do both if you're balanced enough.

I was never really into the whole dating scene when I was younger, truth be told I'm still not now. It's more bother than it's worth.
TaraLovesLiam On March 02, 2014

Portlaoise, Ireland
#3New Post! Jul 29, 2011 @ 15:20:09
@iamachicken Said

My mom talks to me about dating a lot, mainly about how it has to wait until after I graduate college and about how if I ever get pregnant before graduating high school I'll ruin my life....And then I'd be talking to my friends whose parents allow them to date and notice a huge difference in opinions between our parents. I think those differences are very interesting and I would like to know other parents' positions on this topic as well.

As for me, personally, I agree with my mom that education comes before relationships, but I also feel that getting into the dating scene at a younger age will help the teen be able to tell the differences between good/bad partners in future relationships better than one who waited a lot longer. Which doesn't really matter to me (for now, at least) because I'm not into dating, but I still find it very interesting (lol).

In my opinion I think anything over 16 is ok to start dating.
Sparklegirl On December 13, 2019
LL.M

Cumbria, United Kingdom
#4New Post! Jul 29, 2011 @ 15:26:40
I agree, it does depend on how mature the person is, I was always old before my yesrs my first relationship was when I was 14, but we were together 4 years.

Having said that, I was very education focused and got good grades at school os I got to do the whole university thing that I had planned. If you feel that you are mature enough to handle it, go for it but only when YOU feel ready- not becuase of peer pressure or pressure from a guy. That was one thing I refused to do, be pressured and I am proud of that
Dark_Tink On December 30, 2018
<3 Boobie <3

, Canada
#5New Post! Jul 29, 2011 @ 15:27:32
My oldest is 16 and has recently started dating. I don't like it! She's my baby and can't do that! Her bf is a nice guy though, very respectful and his parents are also really nice.

I happen to see them kissing when he was leaving after a visit. I came so close to screaming "NOOOOOOOOOO! No kissing!!!!"

In my eyes she will never be old enough to be able to date.
magically_delicious On October 27, 2020

, California
#6New Post! Jul 29, 2011 @ 15:47:10
I would agree with the 16 and older rule as a general starting point. I'm sure some people can date before that, but I personally don't think it's a really great idea. I didn't start dating until I was 16, but boy did I get myself into trouble haha. Thank goodness everything turned out O.K. for me.
cvchic13 On November 12, 2020
(s)AINT

Desolation Row, United States
#7New Post! Jul 29, 2011 @ 15:49:27
I think a teenager should be allowed to date when they are mature and knowledgable of the consequences that surround dating. They have to have enough sense to know good from bad when it comes to dating. Otherwise, everything will most likely not work.
Grasshopper On January 11, 2023
Just me.

Fort Collins, Colorado
#8New Post! Jul 29, 2011 @ 15:55:04
When they can pay for their own pizza.
<3 Boobie <3

, Canada
#9New Post! Jul 29, 2011 @ 16:01:07
@cvchic13 Said

I think a teenager should be allowed to date when they are mature and knowledgable of the consequences that surround dating. They have to have enough sense to know good from bad when it comes to dating. Otherwise, everything will most likely not work.

If only the majority of teens would follow that reasoning.

I, my sister and sister-in-law all had "The Talk" with my daughter. She got 3 views/thoughts on dating, sex and whatever else.

The last thing I want is for her to be sexually active before she's ready.......or at all for that matter. But she has enough knowledge/info from the 3 of us to make smart choices for herself...if not, I'll kill her.
cvchic13 On November 12, 2020
(s)AINT

Desolation Row, United States
#10New Post! Jul 29, 2011 @ 16:02:28
@Dark_Tink Said

I, my sister and sister-in-law all had "The Talk" with my daughter. She got 3 views/thoughts on dating, sex and whatever else.

The last thing I want is for her to be sexually active before she's ready.......or at all for that matter. But she has enough knowledge/info from the 3 of us to make smart choices for herself...if not, I'll kill her.

I'm pretty sure that's the way I will be with my daughter when she's that age. I have a loooong way to go, though
boxerdc On December 18, 2012

Deleted

#11New Post! Jul 29, 2011 @ 16:32:27
@Dark_Tink Said

My oldest is 16 and has recently started dating. I don't like it! She's my baby and can't do that! Her bf is a nice guy though, very respectful and his parents are also really nice.

I happen to see them kissing when he was leaving after a visit. I came so close to screaming "NOOOOOOOOOO! No kissing!!!!"

In my eyes she will never be old enough to be able to date.

I'm thinking that children should be allowed to date at 16, but only with the supervision of a large eastern european chaperone, who will slap the boy across the room if he tries anything untoward..

The chaperone can go when they reach 21.
<3 Boobie <3

, Canada
#12New Post! Jul 29, 2011 @ 16:36:10
@boxerdc Said

I'm thinking that children should be allowed to date at 16, but only with the supervision of a large eastern european chaperone, who will slap the boy across the room if he tries anything untoward..

The chaperone can go when they reach 21.

I second that idea!!
Sparklegirl On December 13, 2019
LL.M

Cumbria, United Kingdom
#13New Post! Jul 29, 2011 @ 16:39:26
@Dark_Tink Said

thats a good approach. i was told all about what i needed to know when i was about 8. at that age sex was hideous idea & periods just were not happening to me sadly they did! it worked with me though, i wasited til i was ready (which was 25) so it is a good approach
woodss On February 26, 2024

#14New Post! Jul 29, 2011 @ 16:40:30
if people read my soultion I said in teen mom, you would all believe it has a relationship to this as well.
boxerdc On December 18, 2012

Deleted

#15New Post! Jul 29, 2011 @ 16:45:52
@Dark_Tink Said

I second that idea!!

I'm thinking of someone like this for the chaperone.

Perhaps a little more facial hair, and a little more muscle, but you get the idea.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 3 ...8 9 10 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs