Forums:
Health & Fitness

Night shift workers and sleeping patterns

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
condor On July 26, 2011

London, United Kingdom
#1New Post! Jul 26, 2011 @ 08:27:56
I work on shifts which vary in mornings and evenings mainly, but occasionally I'll have to cover for the night shift which means messing up my whole sleeping pattern.

I've come up with a way of making most of my days when I'm on night shifts, and since I normally will have to do two in a row this is how I deal with it:
First day before the first night shift, I'll try do stay in bed until late (maybe 12) but I won't force myself to sleep all day as long as I had a good night sleep.
Second day, after first night shift: I'll go to bed as soon as I get home and try to sleep as long as I need to, get up by 3-4pm to make the most of the evening.
Third day, after second (and last) night shift: I normally try to stay awake and just go to bed in the evening. If I feel really tired I may go for a 1 hour nap but that's all, I feel like I shouldn't waste most of my day off sleeping, as this will only encourage me to stay up the following night too.

People that work night shift, please share your sleeping habits...
Anirab On January 25, 2012

Hamilton, New Zealand
#2New Post! Jul 29, 2011 @ 05:53:03
Well i work a rolling roster of 3 days then 3 nights and 3 days off so i work 6 out of 9 days.
Before beginning the first night i sleep in as late as i can usually till about 9 am ,then have a very easy day as in doing not much maybe watch tv or use the computer for a while then go back to bed in the afternoon about 1-30 pm and have even more rest before getting up again by 3-30ish to have a meal then set off to work at 4-30 pm arrive at work at 5-00 pm to drive a truck all night and return home at 4-30 or 5-00 am the following morning then straight to sleep till about 1-30 pm the same day .
Managing night shift is never easy and i have been doing this shift pattern for 12 years now .
This seems to work for me but other people may have different rosters and work times .
I hope this helps someone out there who does nightshift.
Electric_Banana On February 05, 2024

, New Zealand
#3New Post! Jul 29, 2011 @ 07:12:10
I worked 7:30pm until 6am. Four on, three off.

How it worked for me was that every day when I came home I would crack a beer on the back porch with a ciggy and then go to bed.

I'd wake up about 3pm.

If I was having an anxiety attack I wouldn't sleep at all and that night at work would really suck.

Even on my last day of work I'd try and sleep until 3pm.

Just remember that sleep is important so try and get the best shot at it that you can.

I also wouldn't suggest doing night work forever. Hopefully you have another career up ahead of you in the future.
Eaglebauer On July 23, 2019
Deleted

Saint Louis, Missouri
#4New Post! Jul 29, 2011 @ 07:25:01
I work a 12 hour shift from 7 pm to 7 am. I work 2 days on, 2 off, 3 on...then the following week 2 off, 2 on, 3 off. It gets confusing.

Because of the way things are arranged right now with my family, I rearrange my sleep schedule so that I'm up during "normal" hours on my days off. What this amounts to in the end is that 2 or 3 times a week I end up staying awake for 26 to 27 hours in a row.
majasilver On August 18, 2011

Quezon, Philippines
#5New Post! Aug 09, 2011 @ 02:12:48
All of the previous comments has a good point and tips.. In my brother case, his on night shift work. Even if his on the day shift of work (call center) at that time.. He takes only multivitamins but he decided to added another supp. might be more helpful to have him a better healthy lifestyle most especially to promote deep sleep, enhancing mood and help balance sleep patterns. If you have time, might you check out the supp that my brother is taking.. the MX 5-HTP. But, if you can still do the natural way.. much better.. This suggestion of mine is only a second option and not a much priority..
DiscordTiger On December 04, 2021
The Queen of Random

Administrator

Emerald City, United States (g
#6New Post! Aug 09, 2011 @ 02:36:48
My evening and night shifts are at least regular. In the sense that in the summer, I do days. but the rest of the year I go into work around noon and prefer 10hour shifts.
I get to work 6pm-2am for a few weeks, that should be a fun change, or not. I really don't know, I'm kinda worried about it.

It at least not moving back and forth every few days, that seems harder to me, so I guess in that sense I'm lucky. Socially it's kinda awkward, after I get off work, everyone else is asleep, and on weekends to do anything with friends it's me getting up really early, so that makes for a cranky Tiger.
Was great in college and even several years after, now its starting to get old. I've been doing it about 12years now.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs