I am watching the mini series Anne Frank on dvd

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2
Eaglebauer On July 23, 2019
Deleted

Saint Louis, Missouri
#16New Post! Jul 25, 2011 @ 08:58:25
I recently did a review of a book called In Mania's Memory which was a fascinating true story of a Jewish woman who survived the concentration camp at Birkenau and then later on the labor camp at Reichenbach. During her time at Reichenbach she was a young teenager and this female Nazi guard protected her and would sneak food to her. Fast forward thirty years into the 1970s and the Jewish woman was living in Canada where she hired a woman to clean her apartment and there was something familiar about her. She became obsessed at the idea that this woman was the SS guard who saved her life at the labor camp, but the woman denied it vehemently. The author of the book then arranged another twenty five or so years later to have the two women meet again and at the end of the book it is revealed that the woman was indeed the same Nazi who had saved Mania when she was a young Jewish woman. It's really an amazing story and you get to learn the history of both women and how they came to be in their respective stations during the war. As a person with Jewish heritage who has ancestors who were murdered at Auschwitz/Birkenau and Treblinka, I thought it was really illuminating and it really opens your eyes to the reality that a lot of the German people were swept up into this crazy nationalism of the time and many of them didn't agree with or were even aware of what was going on at the time.

In Mania's Memory by Lisa Birnie...check it out!
degrassiboi On November 06, 2012

Colton, California
#17New Post! Jul 26, 2011 @ 08:34:09
@Eaglebauer Said

I recently did a review of a book called In Mania's Memory which was a fascinating true story of a Jewish woman who survived the concentration camp at Birkenau and then later on the labor camp at Reichenbach. During her time at Reichenbach she was a young teenager and this female Nazi guard protected her and would sneak food to her. Fast forward thirty years into the 1970s and the Jewish woman was living in Canada where she hired a woman to clean her apartment and there was something familiar about her. She became obsessed at the idea that this woman was the SS guard who saved her life at the labor camp, but the woman denied it vehemently. The author of the book then arranged another twenty five or so years later to have the two women meet again and at the end of the book it is revealed that the woman was indeed the same Nazi who had saved Mania when she was a young Jewish woman. It's really an amazing story and you get to learn the history of both women and how they came to be in their respective stations during the war. As a person with Jewish heritage who has ancestors who were murdered at Auschwitz/Birkenau and Treblinka, I thought it was really illuminating and it really opens your eyes to the reality that a lot of the German people were swept up into this crazy nationalism of the time and many of them didn't agree with or were even aware of what was going on at the time.

In Mania's Memory by Lisa Birnie...check it out!

this sounds like i would check it out do u know if its a movie?
Eaglebauer On July 23, 2019
Deleted

Saint Louis, Missouri
#18New Post! Jul 26, 2011 @ 14:27:01
@degrassiboi Said

this sounds like i would check it out do u know if its a movie?

Nope. At least not yet. Only a book.
Leon On March 30, 2024

San Diego, California
#19New Post! Jul 26, 2011 @ 14:40:11
@blind_chameleon Said

spoiler alert!

she gets dead.

Damn you!!!
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply