#16New Post! Jul 20, 2011 @ 21:19:32
@into_the_fire Said

Fire.

is that all you talk about??
Willi On August 21, 2018

northinmind,
#17New Post! Jul 20, 2011 @ 21:21:33
@alk1975 Said

No, because the drain they put it through has a direct line to the main. It is in the same place that the thing stops up any time it stops up. But it is the line that runs under the basement, just before it catches the laundry/bathroom on it's path and is about a 4inch pipe. The kitchen hits it before that spot, so the kitchen stuff comes back up outside in the outside drain, which is how we know when we have a problem. Nothing stops up in the sink itself. Anyway, when I got back with the acetone all of the water had already gone down, so it has some draining to it. However I put some in the kitchen drain and some outside, waited an hour, filled both kitchen sinks and let them go, and it came up outside and stood. However, I went back in 45 minutes and the water was gone. Today I'm going to time it and see how long it actually takes to drain, but I think for now we are going to wait and see if this problem flushes on through in the next couple of days cause it is not backing up high enough to run under the basement door, which is what usually happens. It's really not a good set up at all.

i'm guessing city not septic.
septic, is all the syrofoam gonna glog drain field.

these work.
unhook the closest spot to glog.
Snake-It Deluxe Power Drum Auger Free Standing

the hand crank are cheaper.
hardware stores have em.
alk1975 On August 11, 2016

Jackson, Missouri
#18New Post! Jul 21, 2011 @ 00:37:38
city, yes. Actually, the landlord just happened to stop by this afternoon and flushed some drain cleaner through all of the drains as a regular maintenance precaution. We have NOT told him what happened as we did not want to hear his opinion on this matter. But what great timing! Problem seems to have been solved.

Jackson, Missouri
#19New Post! Jul 21, 2011 @ 00:41:08
@Willi Said

i'm guessing city not septic.
septic, is all the syrofoam gonna glog drain field.

these work.
unhook the closest spot to glog.
Snake-It Deluxe Power Drum Auger Free Standing

the hand crank are cheaper.
hardware stores have em.

It is a good ways from the closest drain. Hubs has broke TWO of the handcrank snakes in that drain in the past. I kind of figured that it would just stir the styrofoam around and then it would settle right back where it was. Kind of too light to push through or something, IDK.
into_the_fire On September 11, 2012

#20New Post! Jul 23, 2011 @ 16:00:25
@blind_chameleon Said

is that all you talk about??

Is there anything else?
JR_Sanford On August 02, 2017

Portland (St. Johns), Oregon
#21New Post! Jul 23, 2011 @ 16:11:14
@alk1975 Said

I'm completely broke right now, as in the check for the plumber would bounce. Anyone have any clue how to get styrofoam clogs out. Surely something would dissolve styrofoam, but I don't want to make a bigger mess.

Styrofoam floats in water so it has to be something else clogging as well. You can try putting a hose in the drain as seal it with rags so you can turn on the water to force the clog through.

J.R.
sAeGeSpAeNe On October 05, 2021
Part-time Nidologist

The other Bristol..., Connecti
#22New Post! Jul 23, 2011 @ 18:15:35
@alk1975 Said

It is a good ways from the closest drain. Hubs has broke TWO of the handcrank snakes in that drain in the past. I kind of figured that it would just stir the styrofoam around and then it would settle right back where it was. Kind of too light to push through or something, IDK.

Well, it sounds as if your drain has been unclogged by your landlord's actions, for the moment. If the situation there is such, that you have a long run from the house to the street and the city sewer system, the question(s), that must be asked, are:
1) How old is the length of pipe that runs from the house to the street?
2) Are there any trees in the vicinity of the drain pipe?

I've seen it myself, where a home, built in the 1950's, suffered such blockage only because the pipe had deteriorated and tree roots managed to work their way into the pipe, and flourished within. Only a roto-rooter-type of [motorized!] clearing operation was possible, but that was only a temporary measure, since the essentially broken pipe had to be dug up and repaired...

Happy hunting, when it next occurs!

Jackson, Missouri
#23New Post! Jul 24, 2011 @ 01:02:57
yes, we are aware of the deteriorating pipes problem. Landlord is ignoring it though due to the fact that the problem area is under the basement floor. We know it is there because it is between the drain right outside the basement door and the laundry room which is in the basement and does not cause any problems.

That said, styrofoam is/was in the drain as well as it was not backing up immediately prior to this issue, and the bits of styrofoam were coming back up with it.
prosaicfellow On October 04, 2011

Abbotsford, Canada
#24New Post! Oct 04, 2011 @ 02:51:09
The simplest process is to some Canola or cleaning oil.Styrofoam is soluble in oil.Afterwards send some Drano through the pipes

Jackson, Missouri
#25New Post! Oct 04, 2011 @ 13:55:34
I poured pure acetone through the drain that night. Worked like a charm, and the last time we had heavy rain the drain didn't back up into my basement, so all is well, I suppose.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs