Pages: << · 1 2 3
jonnythan On August 02, 2014
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#31New Post! Jul 21, 2011 @ 01:23:31
@Willi Said

property taxes?

Only if they own property, which most poor people don't. But, yes, property taxes.
ThePainefulTruth On May 06, 2013
Verum est Deus

Deleted

Peoria, Arizona
#32New Post! Jul 21, 2011 @ 08:53:06
Yes, only 49% pay income taxes. So what's the point? Do we have any idea how much our governments collect per capita, is there any realistic way to figure our actual total tax burden? The link is to a non-exhaustive list of taxes in the US. I'll give a giant gold star to whoever can produce a per capita burden for ALL taxes--which would necessarily have to be by state at least. Local taxes vary as well.

Look at the list, on top of the biggies (fed/state/local income tax, SS and Medicare taxes, state and local sales/property taxes) and tell me we aren't overtaxed.

What is Taxed?

BTW, ALL of those taxes, including those euphemistically levied on corporations, are actually paid by individuals. They are necessarily built into the price of their goods and services. It's just another of many examples of double taxation.
ThePainefulTruth On May 06, 2013
Verum est Deus

Deleted

Peoria, Arizona
#33New Post! Jul 21, 2011 @ 08:54:28
@jonnythan Said

Only if they own property, which most poor people don't. But, yes, property taxes.

You think property taxes aren't included in the rent?
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#34New Post! Jul 21, 2011 @ 12:13:08
@ThePainefulTruth Said

Of course property owners charge enough rent to cover the property taxes they pay, but it's the property owner who pays the property tax. It's a business expense, and rent is income.

By the way, let me ask the question Tino asked but you didn't answer: are you implying you want to raise taxes?
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#35New Post! Jul 21, 2011 @ 12:14:41
@ThePainefulTruth Said
Look at the list, on top of the biggies (fed/state/local income tax, SS and Medicare taxes, state and local sales/property taxes) and tell me we aren't overtaxed.

From Shinobi's link:

"As measured in terms of total tax revenue as a share of overall GDP the average tax burden for countries that are members of the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development in 2008 was 44.8 percent. The U.S. -- 26.1 percent. The U.S. pays less taxes, as a share of GDP, than Denmark, Sweden, Italy, Austria, France, Netherlands, Germany, United Kingdom, Canada, Spain, Switzerland and Japan."
drman321 On December 28, 2013

, Florida
#36New Post! Jul 21, 2011 @ 12:22:31
@ThePainefulTruth Said

BTW, ALL of those taxes, including those euphemistically levied on corporations, are actually paid by individuals. They are necessarily built into the price of their goods and services. It's just another of many examples of double taxation.

A gross oversimplification assuming all businesses operate on a razor thin margin.
shinobinoz On May 28, 2017
Stnd w Standing Rock

Wichita, Kansas
#37New Post! Jul 21, 2011 @ 23:34:58
@ThePainefulTruth Said

True, but then tax deductions the landlord can claim is never going to be passed back down in the rent being reduced now would it?
boxerdc On December 18, 2012

Deleted

#38New Post! Jul 21, 2011 @ 23:38:44
@shinobinoz Said

True, but then tax deductions the landlord can claim is never going to be passed back down in the rent being reduced now would it?

I used the tax deductions on my rental to upgrade it. And this year I'll bank them so that next year I can put in a new HVAC unit.. Not all landlords are greedy.. I only break even on my rental house right now, so the tax deductions are the only resource I have to improve and maintain it..

And when I've paid off the mortgage, it will be a decent chunk of my retirement income, so I don't have to be like those greedy conservatives who leach off the government for Social Security.
shinobinoz On May 28, 2017
Stnd w Standing Rock

Wichita, Kansas
#39New Post! Jul 22, 2011 @ 02:12:08
@boxerdc Said

I used the tax deductions on my rental to upgrade it. And this year I'll bank them so that next year I can put in a new HVAC unit.. Not all landlords are greedy.. I only break even on my rental house right now, so the tax deductions are the only resource I have to improve and maintain it..

And when I've paid off the mortgage, it will be a decent chunk of my retirement income, so I don't have to be like those greedy conservatives who leach off the government for Social Security.

I work on housing issues. We love landlords like you!!!!!
El_Tino On October 12, 2023
booyaka!

Albuquerque, New Mexico
#40New Post! Jul 22, 2011 @ 19:03:15
@jonnythan Said

They rent property, unless they're homeless.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs