Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 5
DiscordTiger On December 04, 2021
The Queen of Random

Administrator

Emerald City, United States (g
#61New Post! Jul 12, 2011 @ 03:43:04
I read somewhere that his first court pointed attorney was incompetent, which is part of the problem, and by incompetent I mean he has already had other complaints filed against him for not properly doing his job and had been reprimanded.

It seems to be a clusterf*** from the start.
white_swan53 On October 07, 2020

n/a, New Mexico
#62New Post! Jul 12, 2011 @ 03:44:08
@DorkySupergirl Said

Okay but it is still the job of the appellate lawyer to go through the case files and transcripts and evidence with a fine tooth comb and find anything at all, even grasping at straws, to stay the execution. So even if they knew all along, it could have been unnoticed, he being denied his legal right.

I agree that after he told that he was actully a Mexican National and not an American citizen that he should have been informed of his right to contact the Mexican consulate.

A lot of what I have read about this particular case is the fact that he wasn't informed at the time of arrest or during his trail of his rights as a Mexican National.
someone_else On August 30, 2012
Not a dude.

Deleted

American Alps, Washington
#63New Post! Jul 12, 2011 @ 14:12:30
@alk1975 Said

You are aware aren't you that there is such a thing as a LEGAL immigrant that is NOT a citizen. In fact, it takes many years most of the time of living in our country LEGALLY, before you can gain citizenship. I don't know more about it than you. The article doesn't say if he was legal or illegal. I just noted the automatic assumption that Mexican means illegal. That is a fallacy.

I had forgotten about that...my mother was one herself.

I suppose I had assumed that it wouldn't take decades to become a citizen. Given the information below (he was 21 when the crime occurred) I would have thought that he would have been a citizen already after basically growing up in the US. Maybe he's one of those people who slipped through the cracks.

Quote:

Leal, a 38-year-old mechanic, was sentenced to lethal injection for the murder of Adria Sauceda, whose brutalized nude body was found hours after Leal left a San Antonio street party with her. The girl's head was bashed with a 30- to 40-pound chunk of asphalt.

Leal moved with his family from Monterrey, Mexico, to the U.S. as a toddler. His appeals contended police never told him he could seek legal assistance from the Mexican government under an international treaty

link [hosted2.ap.org]

**ETA: I posted this before reading the rest of the thread **
sAeGeSpAeNe On October 05, 2021
Part-time Nidologist

The other Bristol..., Connecti
#64New Post! Jul 12, 2011 @ 14:29:34
@white_swan53 Said

A lot of what I have read about this particular case is the fact that he wasn't informed at the time of arrest or during his trail of his rights as a Mexican National.

This is a wonderful justification for requiring police to ask for proof of citizenship, just so they don't get hit with lawsuits 17 years later, about denying some illegal his 'rights'.
boobagins On August 03, 2013
SPICY HOT TAMALES

Astral Weeks, Florida
#65New Post! Jul 12, 2011 @ 15:25:13
Never-mind... already been covered.
SPICY HOT TAMALES

Astral Weeks, Florida
#66New Post! Jul 12, 2011 @ 15:40:32
@white_swan53 Said

He , the defendant, didn't inform anyone that he was a Mexican citizen until some 4 years after his conviction.

That doesn't make sense. If it is found and confirmed that he is indeed a Mexican citizen, then he has a right to get help from the Mexican government and he can also further appeal the conviction.

It looks like he was denied his rights pretty much.
SPICY HOT TAMALES

Astral Weeks, Florida
#67New Post! Jul 12, 2011 @ 15:46:16
I'm not sure if he was illegal or not. If his parents never went through the naturalization process, he may indeed be illegal. If his parents did go through the naturalization process, then he would most likely will be a citizen of the U.S, either that, or he himself had to go through the citizenship process.
white_swan53 On October 07, 2020

n/a, New Mexico
#68New Post! Jul 14, 2011 @ 04:46:53
@DorkySupergirl Said

It does not matter how feel about him or what he is accused of or found guilty of, we can't deny legal rights.

I agree.
jonnythan On August 02, 2014
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#69New Post! Jul 14, 2011 @ 12:33:13
@sAeGeSpAeNe Said

This is a wonderful justification for requiring police to ask for proof of citizenship, just so they don't get hit with lawsuits 17 years later, about denying some illegal his 'rights'.

Perhaps at the time of arraignment or even arrest. Not at the point of simply stopping someone to ask them some questions.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 5

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs