Forums: Relationships:
Homosexuality

US court orders halt to gay military ban

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
boxerdc On December 18, 2012

Deleted

#1New Post! Jul 06, 2011 @ 23:22:43
This removes the last hurdle for gay and lesbian Americans to be allowed to serve openly in the military.

Court orders halt to ban
Swish On September 02, 2011

Arifjan, Kuwait
#2New Post! Jul 07, 2011 @ 04:30:51
while that's all fine and dandy,

if i gotta start doing gay pride 7k runs.....imma be pissed bro. no disrespect, got nothing against yall...but damn.
eternus_somnium On April 14, 2021
clinically crackers

, United States (general)
#3New Post! Jul 07, 2011 @ 04:35:07
Finally, something in the news that I'm happy to hear. This is great.

Deleted

#4New Post! Jul 07, 2011 @ 07:52:40
@Swish Said

while that's all fine and dandy,

if i gotta start doing gay pride 7k runs.....imma be pissed bro. no disrespect, got nothing against yall...but damn.

The only thing that changes is that the gay people already serving don't have to lie about it any more. They can actually live their lives without having to lie about who they are.
StatutoryGrape On December 04, 2011

the Outback, Australia
#5New Post! Jul 07, 2011 @ 08:17:22
Fantastic.
PTF On April 24, 2017

Banned

Indiana,
#6New Post! Jul 10, 2011 @ 19:48:54
@boxerdc Said

The only thing that changes is that the gay people already serving don't have to lie about it any more. They can actually live their lives without having to lie about who they are.

...Excuse you but the morale will go down the toilet.
Not everyone is going to be welcoming this with open arms.

Deleted

#7New Post! Jul 10, 2011 @ 21:51:08
@PTF Said

...Excuse you but the morale will go down the toilet.
Not everyone is going to be welcoming this with open arms.

Excuse me but you're a moron. Nothing will change, because the gays and lesbians are already there, and the only people who are going to be unhappy about it are the homophobes and bigots..

And frankly, I don't much care if homophobes and bigots are unhappy. It's their choice to be unhappy.

Your mindset is the same as the people who were against the integration of blacks in the army... they said it would destroy morale. Didn't happen, except for the backwards racists..

But you know all about those people don't you.
Oisin On January 27, 2012

Glasgow, United Kingdom
#8New Post! Jul 10, 2011 @ 21:56:41
is this going to be the kind of thing where sure gay folk can[i/] openly admit to being gay but many won't ?

Deleted

#9New Post! Jul 10, 2011 @ 22:02:10
@Oisin Said

is this going to be the kind of thing where sure gay folk can openly admit to being gay but many won't ?

That's entirely possible. There's no mandate stating that you HAVE to tell everyone that you're gay, so for many people serving, it's not going to make a bit of difference.

But you can no longer be discharged if someone finds out that you're gay, or if you do tell people that you're gay. It's a big step because these people have had to lie about their lives and hide their most important relationships from everyone for fear of being tossed out of the military.

Imagine being deployed to Iraq or Afghanistan, and not being able to send letters to your wife telling her that you love her, because to do so would get you discharged.. Imagine being wounded or killed there, and your wife not being notified that you were wounded or killed because nobody was allowed to know you had a wife. Imagine not being able to tell anyone about your wife, no matter what the circumstances while you're in an extremely stressful combat situation.

Now people can be honest, they can communicate with their loved ones at home without fear of reprisals, and they get to have the same link with people stateside that straight people have always had.

Doesn't seem like such a bad thing does it?
smallBUTTerflies On January 07, 2020
Weaker than homeopat

Plymouth,
#10New Post! Jul 10, 2011 @ 22:09:53
It's been far too long.
Oisin On January 27, 2012

Glasgow, United Kingdom
#11New Post! Jul 10, 2011 @ 22:17:49
Quote:
Doesn't seem like such a bad thing does it?

of course not man. i was not aware that soldiers could be discharged for being gay. that's very backwards.
in saying that, i don't know what the rules are regarding sexuality in the british army so we could be just as backwards as you guys in that respect, or even more so.

Deleted

#12New Post! Jul 10, 2011 @ 22:47:17
@Oisin Said

of course not man. i was not aware that soldiers could be discharged for being gay. that's very backwards.
in saying that, i don't know what the rules are regarding sexuality in the british army so we could be just as backwards as you guys in that respect, or even more so.

You guys changed the rules about 10 years ago.. And absolutely nothing happened as a result, except that gays and lesbians were allowed to serve in the military.

We're the 5th or 6th country to remove the restrictions on gays and lesbians to serve, but people like PTF will always be upset by things like that, because if gives her fewer people to hate.
sister_of_mercy On March 11, 2015

London, United Kingdom
#13New Post! Jul 10, 2011 @ 22:53:23
Good to hear, hope this works out. It's bizarre that a country as developed as America still has these kind of laws in place. I'm also surprised it was only as little as 10 years ago that the UK got their act together as well. What a strange and depressing world we live in.

Deleted

#14New Post! Jul 10, 2011 @ 22:57:57
@sister_of_mercy Said

Good to hear, hope this works out. It's bizarre that a country as developed as America still has these kind of laws in place. I'm also surprised it was only as little as 10 years ago that the UK got their act together as well. What a strange and depressing world we live in.

Lucky for us, it gets a little more strange, and a little less depressing every day.
Dark_Tink On December 30, 2018
<3 Boobie <3

, Canada
#15New Post! Jul 11, 2011 @ 00:39:28

Awesome news!!
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs