The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums:
Q & A

Parents! If this happened to your child, what would you say to him/her?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2
JR_Sanford On August 02, 2017

Portland (St. Johns), Oregon
#16New Post! Jun 26, 2011 @ 18:31:29
@iamachicken Said

I'm writing a story right now, and in one scene, the main character (a girl) and a male friend are home alone. The male friend had been beaten up for no reason on his way to return something the girl had dropped to her house. The girl is taking care of his wounds when someone breaks into the house. So, the burglar (who happens to be the one who beat up the male friend because he [burglar] is actually stalking the girl because he has a crush on her) ends up trying to attack them with a knife, but he gets disarmed by the girl and the boy calls the police, who come within minutes to arrest the burglar. The girl and boy are reunited with their parents, but here's the problem...I have no idea what a parent would say to their child in this kind of situation!!!

So I was wondering what you would say to your child if this ever happened.

So far, I only have the girl's mom say, "You're lucky [male friend's name] was here to protect you!"

If you had a daughter, is that something you'd say? Or should I take that out?

First of all, the Mom made an insensitive statement to the beat up boy. The daughter must've learned her compassion from her Father. How did the Mom know that the boy didn't get the wounds fighting off the burglar while she disarmed him?

Secondly, Police "arriving within minutes" is a fantasy.

J.R.
jonnythan On August 02, 2014
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#17New Post! Jun 26, 2011 @ 19:01:23
I think the parent would simply be relieved their daughter is all right, and not too worried about how she was saved at the moment.
boobagins On August 03, 2013
SPICY HOT TAMALES

Astral Weeks, Florida
#18New Post! Jun 26, 2011 @ 19:39:11
It's your story, you shouldn't rely on other people to fill in the blanks for you or give you validation on what is right for the situation or not.

The main aspect is is that whatever scene you write, it has the move the plot along. That should be your main objective. So it maybe better to think ahead of what you want to happen in the story and then think "how does this scene impact my future scene." If this scene has no impact on any future scene, then it's safe to say that it's just filler and can be cut.

There is no right and wrong answer. The parents can say even all the wrong things... and it would be OKAY if is necessary for your plot to move. They can say the right things too... but it has to impact the plot and your MC as to why the scene is necessary. why is the scene necessary is your question. If in this scene, the parents over-react and forbid the girl to have any contact with the boy that got beaten up even if he didn't do anything wrong... then that is impactful, because if you want the girl and that boy falling for each other, the parents are going to be problems of how they can be with each other.

--- but to answer your question.

What would a parent say. Well since there is a stalker involved. How to be responsible, how to be safe, how to report things that she perceives as odd, how to keep an eye for herself both when she alone and when she is with someone else.

I'd go over safety and I'd probably set precautions that I want you to call home every time you are going to be late or going to friend house and so on and so forth.

As far as the other guy, I'd thank him and glad that she is okay. Since the attack happen at the girls house, I'd assume that the girls parents will talk to the guy parents. Make sure the boy is okay since he did get beat up.

If the girl and guy are just friends and they say that, as a parent I'd probably ask if she like him and if she does, take it slow. Same as any other situation.
iamachicken On September 15, 2013

It Burns In, California
#19New Post! Jun 26, 2011 @ 22:32:24
@jr_sanford Said

First of all, the Mom made an insensitive statement to the beat up boy. The daughter must've learned her compassion from her Father. How did the Mom know that the boy didn't get the wounds fighting off the burglar while she disarmed him?

Secondly, Police "arriving within minutes" is a fantasy.

J.R.

Yeah that's why I was debating whether or not I would have the mom say that...

And yes, that's totally fantasy but I'm planning to add a unicorn to the story later so it's not going to be realistic at all anyways.

It Burns In, California
#20New Post! Jun 26, 2011 @ 22:34:02
@white_swan53 Said

If it is the girl who disarms the burglar, why would her mom say ,"You're lucky [male friend's name] was here to protect you" ?
First I'd make sure my daughter wasn't hurt, then check over the boys cuts and bruises from getting beat up . Then if both were okay , I'd ask the boy if he was planning on getting my daughter to give him some pointers on how not to get beat up .

The mom doesn't know the whole story yet, so she's assuming the boy protected the girl. But I'm still debating whether or not to keep that quote in there.

thanks for the ideas!

It Burns In, California
#21New Post! Jun 26, 2011 @ 22:40:30
@lilbug Said

Where and how were they reunited with their parents? Did they call them to come to the scene, did the police call them? Or did the boy just go home and her parens just arrive back home? I think all that would determine my initial reaction and the conversation thereafter.

For now, I'm going to make it so that after the police arrive, the girl's parents come home, have a "WTF" moment, and then call the boy's parents.
white_swan53 On October 07, 2020

n/a, New Mexico
#22New Post! Jun 26, 2011 @ 22:41:48
@iamachicken Said

The mom doesn't know the whole story yet, so she's assuming the boy protected the girl. But I'm still debating whether or not to keep that quote in there.

thanks for the ideas!

I had a daughter that was 110 % tomboy no doubt, I was thinking of her at around 14 or 15 years of age .
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs