Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2
Jennifer1984 On July 20, 2022
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#16New Post! Jun 23, 2011 @ 06:22:03
@greenguy35 Said

The un-named Welsh person you mentioned will not be there as he retired this season. And to be honest after having seen all the under 21 home nation teams playing recently, i would be surprised if there were any Sottish or Welsh players involved at all. N Ireland seems to have a few talented under 21's and the 3 over 21 year olds alowed to be play in the squad will almost certainly be English too. We do not have to field Sottish or Irish players in the team so why wait for them to sign up? We do not seek permission to have an English 4 x 4 Realy team so I don't know what all the fuss is about.

Do you not think the possibility of playing in the greatest tournament on earth might tempt him to give it one last go..? He has never played in a World Cup or European Championship. By this time next year the fuss over his... erm... "personal indiscretions" will have died down and I'm sure all football fans would wish him well. He's been a marvellous player for a long time. A little sentiment never hurt anybody.

Britain aren't going to win the football tournament. Our appearance is pretty much symbolic because we are the host nation and the founders of the game. In a purely sporting sense it would be impossible NOT to enter a team.

Whether the players involved are youngsters in the first flush of international competition, or old men having a last hurrah is pretty much irrelevant. They are representing Great Britain and I'm sure they'd do their best. Who knows... the Scots or Irish or Welsh may just unearth some hitherto undiscovered talent out of it. I doubt the English will.... our league doesn't have any Englishmen in it.

I just want to see a team that is representative of us all.

This is the Olympic Games. It's not about the winning..... it's about the taking part.

greenguy35 On May 18, 2015

Winchester, United Kingdom
#17New Post! Jun 23, 2011 @ 06:40:25
@Jennifer1984 Said

Do you not think the possibility of playing in the greatest tournament on earth might tempt him to give it one last go..? He has never played in a World Cup or European Championship. By this time next year the fuss over his... erm... "personal indiscretions" will have died down and I'm sure all football fans would wish him well. He's been a marvellous player for a long time. A little sentiment never hurt anybody.

Britain aren't going to win the football tournament. Our appearance is pretty much symbolic because we are the host nation and the founders of the game. In a purely sporting sense it would be impossible NOT to enter a team.

Whether the players involved are youngsters in the first flush of international competition, or old men having a last hurrah is pretty much irrelevant. They are representing Great Britain and I'm sure they'd do their best. Who knows... the Scots or Irish or Welsh may just unearth some hitherto undiscovered talent out of it. I doubt the English will.... our league doesn't have any Englishmen in it.

I just want to see a team that is representative of us all.

This is the Olympic Games. It's not about the winning..... it's about the taking part.

Firstly i love the way you write and always enjoy reading your posts, you always have loads of valid arguments from all angles, however(at the risk of being smashed apart by your quick retorts) He who shall not be named really won't be playing. He will be yet another year older, have not played competitive football for a full season and as a betting man will probably be coaching at Man Utd by then. Alex will have his team in pre-season traing at this point and will expect all his back room staff in work too. I agree it is a travisty that he never got to play on the big international stage, but that in the end was his choice. I was lucky enough to play against him as a youth in the milk cup, when the likes of Becks and Scholes also played for the Man Utd youth team. All three players played for England then. It was a choice of his and Laurie LackMemory for him to take the easy root and play for Wales. So as much as i am gutted for him, he made his bed now it is time to lie in it.
Jennifer1984 On July 20, 2022
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#18New Post! Jun 23, 2011 @ 06:50:40
@Rehabilitation_Please Said

Team GB, I hope it's not going to be full of those money grabbing Premiership players who represent England on a regular basis.

Probably not. This is the Olympics. Players don't get paid for taking part. There is no money in it for them... even for endorsements. The serious athletics stars like Usain Bolt or Tyson Gay will hoover up all the big endorsments. If there is no money to be made out of it, the Premiership big names would be unlikely to take part.

@jmo Said

It'll be mainly an U23 team, I think three players who are older can play and for political reasons one of those will be David Beckham.

Honestly as far as I'm concerned the current England team plus Gareth Bale and Craig Gordon would be the best Britain as a whole can offer.

Still bloody hate the name 'Team GB' though. It makes it sound like the Olympics does Twilight. What's wrong with just calling them 'Great Britain' or something like that instead of this Americanised 'Team USA' style title?

Fielding an Under 23 team would make sense. Give experience to the younger players who are still motivated by enthusiasm for the game itself, rather than the fat cat mentality that they will no doubt develop after they've been transferred to a Top Four team.

I'm not keen on "Team GB" either, but it appears that we're stuck with it. "Great Britain and Northern Ireland" is the official title but that's too much of a mouthful. GB & NI doesn't make any sort of acronym that would trip off the tongue and I can't really think of anything else, so "Team GB" it is.

As another thought..... what colours do you think they should play in..? I would have thought that the traditional British Olympic colours of white with a red and blue hoop would be appropriate... but would that look too much like England..? What do you think..?

jmo On April 29, 2021
Beruset af Julebryg

Yorkshire, United Kingdom
#19New Post! Jun 23, 2011 @ 08:25:13

Something like that would be brilliant imo.

Looking at the TA forums it seems that most Scots will support the Team GB in the olympics and think the SFA stance is silly and parochial. The only ones who are not are the cyber-nats who tend to post more about politics on the forums than talk about football anyway. I think the majority of us aren't so silly as to have a problem with Scots playing for the British Olympic soccer team. Personally the more Scots in the team the better as far as I'm concerned. Probably the only chance any of them will ever have of winning something for a national team.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs