Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3
tariki On September 16, 2012

Deleted

, United Kingdom
#31New Post! May 29, 2011 @ 09:07:29
@tariki Said

The "merton quote of the day" is by such the road to joy is mysteriously revealed to us without our exactly realising it

These words of Merton were written to a very young girl, the daughter of on of his many correspondents. This little lass had sent him a picture of a house, to which Merton responded by saying the house looked very beautiful but that there was no road to it. She herself than sent him another picture, of the same house, but this time with a path leading up to the door. So, thinking about it, I suppose Merton knew where THAT particular road came from.........

"and a little child shall lead them".........as the Good Book says.

Deleted

, United Kingdom
#32New Post! May 29, 2011 @ 09:09:34
@Electric_Banana Said

I don't think it's intended as malicious but when you see it for the gears and strings, one immediately assumes that it's diabolical because they don't understand much better.

It's like the drones landing in your back yard situation. Yeah, they look spooky but it doesn't mean they have evil intentions.

And, to some degree, I see life as a mad science experiment with intention of making life better for everyone.

Well, my partner has often commented that my particular strings are diabolical, at least as far as sound goes.....
Electric_Banana On April 20, 2024

, New Zealand
#33New Post! May 29, 2011 @ 09:15:21
@tariki Said

These words of Merton were written to a very young girl, the daughter of on of his many correspondents. This little lass had sent him a picture of a house, to which Merton responded by saying the house looked very beautiful but that there was no road to it. She herself than sent him another picture, of the same house, but this time with a path leading up to the door. So, thinking about it, I suppose Merton knew where THAT particular road came from.........

"and a little child shall lead them".........as the Good Book says.

Yeah, but if she sent a third picture it would probably be of the road leading to nothing but an endless field of corn.
RedKate On June 15, 2011

Banned

Port Stanley, Falkland Islands
#34New Post! May 29, 2011 @ 14:08:49
@Erimitus Said

---
I think that something determines our goals but it is not clear to me what that is. There are biological imperatives, air, food, and water that drive us to attain the goal of breathing, drinking, and eating. There may be equivalent psychological imperatives that drive us to attain the satisfaction of our idiosyncratic tastes.

What do you think?

I dont think that eating, drinking and all that are really our main goals. Its like when you're in a car and it needs petrol and so on, but the goal is where you're travelling to or whatever. Our goals come from us as the driver not the body. That's what I think anyway.
GSnap On March 02, 2019

Over the Rainbow,
#35New Post! May 29, 2011 @ 14:10:31
@RedKate Said

I dont think that eating, drinking and all that are really our main goals. Its like when you're in a car and it needs petrol and so on, but the goal is where you're travelling to or whatever. Our goals come from us as the driver not the body. That's what I think anyway.

Agree. The former are basic needs, the latter comes from our want to push ourselves to achieve more than just the basic needs.
Erimitus On July 01, 2021

The mind of God, Antarctica
#36New Post! May 29, 2011 @ 17:12:55
@RedKate Said

I suspect that if you did not have any air for even a short period of time, getting some air would be a goal with a very high priority.

Eating and drinking are examples of biological imparatives.

I think of people as having drives, as being driven; thinking of a person as the driver is an excellent analogy. The question is why does the driver drive where the driver is driving?

My actions to some degree are automatic. At least some of may actions are intentional. When my actions are intentional I am the driver. My intentions, for the most part, are directed at minimizing pain and maximizing pleasure.

What do you think?
RedKate On June 15, 2011

Banned

#37New Post! May 30, 2011 @ 14:19:04
@Erimitus Said

I suspect that if you did not have any air for even a short period of time, getting some air would be a goal with a very high priority.

Eating and drinking are examples of biological imparatives.

I think of people as having drives, as being driven; thinking of a person as the driver is an excellent analogy. The question is why does the driver drive where the driver is driving?

My actions to some degree are automatic. At least some of may actions are intentional. When my actions are intentional I am the driver. My intentions, for the most part, are directed at minimizing pain and maximizing pleasure.

What do you think?

You have to put petrol in your car, but that doesnt determine where you want to go - it just allows the car to take you there. Why you want to go there has nothing to do with how the car works. It's just a vehicle.

#38New Post! May 30, 2011 @ 18:52:12
RedKate: You have to put petrol in your car, but that doesn’t determine where you want to go - it just allows the car to take you there. Why you want to go there has nothing to do with how the car works. It's just a vehicle.

E: In our (well actually your) analogy the vehicle represents the body and the driver represents the mind (or some aspect of the mind). The driver can drive the vehicle where the driver wants to. There may be a few constraints on where and how the driver drives. For example the vehicle must remain on the road, the vehicle must follow the traffic rules, and the vehicle must have enough fuel.

[We may be asking a lot for one analogy but here is the next question.]

Where does the driver drive to and why does the driver drive their?

#39New Post! May 31, 2011 @ 13:32:38

Doh!!! Why does the driver drive there? (not their) double doh!!!
RedKate On June 15, 2011

Banned

#40New Post! May 31, 2011 @ 13:58:59
@Erimitus Said

RedKate: You have to put petrol in your car, but that doesn’t determine where you want to go - it just allows the car to take you there. Why you want to go there has nothing to do with how the car works. It's just a vehicle.

E: In our (well actually your) analogy the vehicle represents the body and the driver represents the mind (or some aspect of the mind). The driver can drive the vehicle where the driver wants to. There may be a few constraints on where and how the driver drives. For example the vehicle must remain on the road, the vehicle must follow the traffic rules, and the vehicle must have enough fuel.

[We may be asking a lot for one analogy but here is the next question.]

Well, if you're like a mind in a body then you can do what you like but you do it within the abilities of the body. Like two people might be the same in what they can do, but if one is riding a bike and the other is in a jet plane one can do a lot more, but they can still choose.

#41New Post! May 31, 2011 @ 15:13:00
@RedKate Said

Well, if you're like a mind in a body then you can do what you like but you do it within the abilities of the body. Like two people might be the same in what they can do, but if one is riding a bike and the other is in a jet plane one can do a lot more, but they can still choose.

E: I believe that we agree.

Deleted

, United Kingdom
#42New Post! May 31, 2011 @ 15:14:22
In the opening post I mentioned such things as "happiness", "wisdom", "understanding", "admiration" (of others), the capacity to love another. Really, if any human being has no interest in such states of being/mind then OK, but I would think many of us would at least seek to perm any two from five, whatever.

My own interest is that we cannot seem to directly WILL such states of being/mind. They would appear to be by-products in some sense? By-products of exactly what? Looking around at a few people who would seem to embody such ways of being (perm at least one from five!), at least in my own eyes, there seems no common denominator in terms of faith professed or anything else.

Anyway, keep it coming.......
ssnot_me On February 01, 2016

big D, Texas
#43New Post! May 31, 2011 @ 15:23:32
@Erimitus Said

You may be happy and not even know it.

if your happy and you know it, clap your hands
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others