The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums: Science:
Biology

Flaws responsible for complex life, study says.

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
SparklyKatie On March 07, 2014
\m//O_O\\m/

Sheffield, United Kingdom
#1New Post! May 20, 2011 @ 11:07:17
Quote:
Tiny structural errors in proteins may have been responsible for changes that sparked complex life, researchers say.

A comparison of proteins across 36 modern species suggests that protein flaws called "dehydrons" may have made proteins less stable in water.

This would have made them more adhesive and more likely to end up working together, building up complex function.

The Nature study adds weight to the idea that natural selection is not the only means by which complexity rises.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-13445951

I guess we're all flawed in some way or another, seems even at the molecular level too now.
ThePainefulTruth On May 06, 2013
Verum est Deus

Deleted

Peoria, Arizona
#2New Post! May 20, 2011 @ 11:28:12
Why is that not natural selection?
Asme251 On December 21, 2017
Area Man

Boston, Massachusetts
#3New Post! May 20, 2011 @ 11:38:37
@ThePainefulTruth Said

It is. If it is correct, these "flaws" (I dislike the term 'flaw' since it implies that there was a correct structure for an organism to begin with, which it didn't) helped organisms gain an advantage in survival over simpler life forms which translates to that trait being selected.
\m//O_O\\m/

#4New Post! May 20, 2011 @ 11:46:58
@ThePainefulTruth Said

Because the flaws created complex (multi-celled) life but single celled organisms didn't become extinct.

I think.
Area Man

Boston, Massachusetts
#5New Post! May 20, 2011 @ 11:49:26
@SparklyKatie Said

Because the flaws created complex (multi-celled) life but single celled organisms didn't become extinct.

I think.

Natural selection doesn't necessitate other organisms to go extinct. Natural selection can occur within a species if those with a certain trait gain an increased chance of survival and that trait ends up being a dominant allele within the gene pool.
\m//O_O\\m/

#6New Post! May 20, 2011 @ 11:56:53
@Asme251 Said

Natural selection doesn't necessitate other organisms to go extinct. Natural selection can occur within a species if those with a certain trait gain an increased chance of survival and that trait ends up being a dominant allele within the gene pool.

Yeah but the jump from single celled to multi celled life was far bigger than anything since. Again I think.

I watched a documentary a while back that said the development from single to multi cell organisms was the most significant event in the history of life on Earth.
Area Man

Boston, Massachusetts
#7New Post! May 20, 2011 @ 12:00:21
@SparklyKatie Said

Yeah but the jump from single celled to multi celled life was far bigger than anything since. Again I think.

I watched a documentary a while back that said the development from single to multi cell organisms was the most significant event in the history of life on Earth.

Yeah, most probably! It was a pretty big deal. So big that it perhaps created new species, which could make natural selection an irrelevant process in this case. I kind of see your point.
Verum est Deus

Deleted

Peoria, Arizona
#8New Post! May 20, 2011 @ 12:01:43
@SparklyKatie Said

But it was natural selection nonetheless, just an bigger jump in the process than usual. Evolution has happened in fits and starts.
Verum est Deus

Deleted

Peoria, Arizona
#9New Post! May 20, 2011 @ 12:03:56
@Asme251 Said

Yeah, most probably! It was a pretty big deal. So big that it perhaps created new species, which could make natural selection an irrelevant process in this case. I kind of see your point.

Isn't that natural selection?
\m//O_O\\m/

#10New Post! May 20, 2011 @ 12:11:33
@ThePainefulTruth Said

Isn't that natural selection?

No, natural selection is the process by which biologic traits (a distinct variant of a phenotypic character of an organism that may be inherited, environmentally determined or somewhere in between.) become more or less common in a population due to consistent effects upon the survival or reproduction of their bearers.

A flaw that made proteins less stable in water so they worked together is neither inherited or environmentally determined.
LongTallDrink On December 28, 2011

Banned

Fingal's Cave, United Kingdom
#11New Post! Dec 27, 2011 @ 16:12:56
Has no bearing on complex orchestrated maintained phenomena - but nice try. lol.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs