Forums: Society & Lifestyles:
Law

Book about a friend.

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
ninozara On April 30, 2020

Cheshire, United Kingdom
#1New Post! Mar 31, 2011 @ 16:00:29
Not sure where to put this but here seems the best bet.

A friend has had a book written about him by an ex-girlfriend, and she sent him a transcript by e-mail to ask him is he is ok with it.

She's changed his name, and slightly the names of his parents. Kept the names of his two brothers, but swapped them - so the older brother has the younger brothers name. Kept, pretty much, their biographies, the place name, the school and work names...even the things he said to her, word for word in some cases.

All of this, he's pretty fine with. But she has completely slagged of his family, called his Dad a 'violent domestic killer' (completely not true) and said he was a coke dealer (again not true) and gone into quite explicit detail about their sex life(possibly true, but not things you want out there). The problem is that anyone who knows him (and it's a small area so that is everyone, plus he is trying to make it in TV) will know it's about him - especially as she is using her real name. Hell, quite a few of his friends recognise conversations in it as ones we had!

So, he asked her to remove a few things, but she got back to him a few days later and said that her agent told her not to. They are selling it as a fictional story so it is nothing to do with him.

I'm just wondering if anyone knows if there is anything he can do. This could be quite detrimental to him and his family.
jmo On April 29, 2021
Beruset af Julebryg

Yorkshire, United Kingdom
#2New Post! Mar 31, 2011 @ 16:18:34
Perhaps you could check if it breaks slander laws.

This does remind me of the Adrian Mole books a bit where his friend becomes a famous author with a character based on Mole.

Cheshire, United Kingdom
#3New Post! Mar 31, 2011 @ 16:45:40
@jmo Said

Perhaps you could check if it breaks slander laws.

This does remind me of the Adrian Mole books a bit where his friend becomes a famous author with a character based on Mole.

I thought that. I told him to go to Citizens Advice. It's just really annoying...and slightly creepy.
Electric_Banana On February 05, 2024

, New Zealand
#4New Post! Mar 31, 2011 @ 18:46:42
Why would someone care enough to write a book about an ex - that's really stupid.

I really don't care to share with the world what judge rating I held up for some cheap fling that I had back in my twenties.

Cheshire, United Kingdom
#5New Post! Mar 31, 2011 @ 21:19:49
@Electric_Banana Said

Why would someone care enough to write a book about an ex - that's really stupid.

I really don't care to share with the world what judge rating I held up for some cheap fling that I had back in my twenties.

She's done it from 'his' point of view...gone into great detail about how wonderful and gorgeous the character that is her is, and how she improved his life and made it so much better.

They were together a couple of years ago, but she's 4/5 years older than him and trying to be an actress/model/anything famous. It actually looks like she was with him purely so she could get all this and write a book about it. Because, even at the time, her being with him made no sense.

It's not so much, her saying he was s*** in bed, but the fact that she's said he was a drug dealer and that his Dad is violent, abusive and a killer!

I mean, it's not even well written, but that doesn't mean it won't take off.
Electric_Banana On February 05, 2024

, New Zealand
#6New Post! Mar 31, 2011 @ 21:28:07
@ninozara Said

She's done it from 'his' point of view...gone into great detail about how wonderful and gorgeous the character that is her is, and how she improved his life and made it so much better.

They were together a couple of years ago, but she's 4/5 years older than him and trying to be an actress/model/anything famous. It actually looks like she was with him purely so she could get all this and write a book about it. Because, even at the time, her being with him made no sense.

It's not so much, her saying he was s*** in bed, but the fact that she's said he was a drug dealer and that his Dad is violent, abusive and a killer!

I mean, it's not even well written, but that doesn't mean it won't take off.

Some females, like males are more for their ego than anything else.

I can usually see chics like that coming from a mile away but that poor dude was probably desperate.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs