The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums: Relationships:
Family

How did your family come too the country your in?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2
plebian_angel On April 25, 2012
Intergalactic hussy

a great future,
#16New Post! Mar 24, 2011 @ 17:29:20
@xRuby_Kissesx Said

Oh I'm related to the w**kers too. It's a small world!

That it is.
DAX On May 10, 2011

, United Kingdom
#17New Post! Mar 24, 2011 @ 17:35:31
First off we have to look at where my grandparents came from...

My grandparents from my mum's side came from Germany while my grandparents on my dad's side came from Sweden.

Both sets of grandparents moved to England and that's where my parents met and got hitched, had me, and spent the first 16 years of my life in West Sussex...

Unfortunetly, my dad's job moved him to the US and I am stuck in Atlanta GA... I am hoping to get my degree as soon as I can so I can move out of this hell plain of a country and move to Australia or back home to England
DiscordTiger On December 04, 2021
The Queen of Random

Administrator

Emerald City, United States (g
#18New Post! Mar 24, 2011 @ 17:46:50
In 1492 Christopher Columbus sailed the ocean blue.....
My family on both sides traces back to Spanish colonial settlements once they made it to the northern New Mexico - southern Colorado area we've mostly been hanging around since
floydgirrl On October 08, 2022
Stalkee

Pope's Wine Celler, Holy See (
#19New Post! Mar 24, 2011 @ 17:49:13
My mother's side came over for the hope of a better life.
My father's the same, except they got kicked out of Scotland so they had to go somewhere.
chisa96 On December 29, 2014
Supreme Goddess

Out in Nature, Wisconsin
#20New Post! Mar 25, 2011 @ 12:57:14
My maternal grandpa's parents came over from italy when he was a baby, the maternal grandma's parents from germany. My paternal grandma came over with her family from ireland, and I believe my paternal grandpa's family did as well, though I'm not really sure as he died before I was born and I never actually asked. I think my parents have said that I'm half irish though, and if so he must have.
SparklyKatie On March 07, 2014
\m//O_O\\m/

Sheffield, United Kingdom
#21New Post! Mar 25, 2011 @ 13:02:13
Not sure if hair and eye colour are indicators but if so if I went far back enough I guess it'd be Scandinavia.

But I'm positive it's not as simple as that being from the UK, I probably have Saxon/Roman/German/Norman (technically Scandinavian again) blood in me.

Probably a few others too.

My family as far back as we've been able to find out were all born in the UK or Eire.
jmo On April 29, 2021
Beruset af Julebryg

Yorkshire, United Kingdom
#22New Post! Mar 25, 2011 @ 17:09:07
@SparklyKatie Said

Not sure if hair and eye colour are indicators but if so if I went far back enough I guess it'd be Scandinavia.

But I'm positive it's not as simple as that being from the UK, I probably have Saxon/Roman/German/Norman (technically Scandinavian again) blood in me.

Probably a few others too.

My family as far back as we've been able to find out were all born in the UK or Eire.

Yeah, being from the UK means the chances are most of us have a bit of all sorts in us.

I saw this doco a couple of years ago where they did this genetic testing thing where they could get a portrayal of some of the ethnic origins of people, and they did that on a Neo-Nazi and it turned out he had some Indian ethnicity in him!
offbeat On November 18, 2022

london, United Kingdom
#23New Post! Mar 25, 2011 @ 19:09:24
@GiantSpiderGoat Said

So I was interested in seeing if people knew how there family came to the Uk, America or Australia. I know part of the story for my Mums and Dads side.

My Mums Great Grandad was a half Jewish/half gypsy who lived in the poor neighbourhoods of London and his Jewish father was off fighting in the War. I'm not sure about now, but when he lived in the London because of he was half jewish/half gypsy he was picked on from a young age and was fighting people left right and centre who targeted him because of his race. He got into so many fights that they put him into a Boys school, which really just acted as a jail for boys. He spent 3 years in there until he was 15 when his mother was able to bail him out of prison. She then sent him down too the docks to catch a boat too Canada too family he had there. But instead jumped on a merchant ship he got work one and travel'd the world on it for a few years. Until he arrived at the docks in Fremantle. Which is how that side of the family came too Australia.

Now my other Great Grandad lost his mother when he was young and had an evil step mother. He lived in some part of England but I think he was originally Welsh and his father worked on the trains. Anyway I think his father got terribly ill and died. So at the age of 7 he ran away from home with his sister. From what I recall him and his sister went around the country side for a while until he got picked up by authorities once he got too London. He was then sent out too a boys farm in Australia which he worked on till he was about 15 and thats how that side of the family came too Australia.

Both my Great Grandad's had amazing lifes and I even got to know one of them. He wrote out his memoirs and many people said he should of turned it into a book. I personally can't wait too get my hands on his memoirs so I can read about all the stories he told me about his life.

thats really interesting ..did your mums great grandfather jump ship in australia to go and prospect for gold? ..many sailors did .
galastaray On June 08, 2016
honey bucket

Deleted

Honey Bucket, Reunion
#24New Post! Mar 25, 2011 @ 19:14:34
Parents were born here. Simple village folk. Had to leave country due to civil war and Israeli occupation in 1982. My mom was chased all over the country. She had to change her name at least 3 times. Dad was hidden 5 meters away from gunmen looking to kill him. Parents decided to move to Africa. Dad started a company from scratch. Got lucky, company grew, and I was born there and lived for 14 years. Then we moved here. Been here in Lebanon for 4 years now.
Jacquesmetat On August 01, 2012

Out on the 'oggin, United King
#25New Post! Apr 19, 2011 @ 14:02:34
@GiantSpiderGoat Said

So I was interested in seeing if people knew how there family came to the Uk, America or Australia. I know part of the story for my Mums and Dads side.

For as far back as it is possible to trace, my ancestors are all from the Isle of Wight. It's only a small island and even in times of invasion it seems to have been a part of Britain that invaders pretty much ignored. The Romans had a small settlement here and named the island 'Vectis'. The Normans didn't really think it was worth settling here in large numbers either. Scientific studies suggest that the only tribe to inhabit the island with a view to long term settlement were the Jutes at some time around the middle of the 6th century who named the island Whitword. After the Romans buggered off the name of Vectis was dropped and it simply became Wight. Traces of Celtic habitation have been found but if the celts were here first then they were undoubtedly put to the sword or fled.
boxerdc On December 18, 2012

Deleted

#26New Post! Apr 19, 2011 @ 14:05:05
My family came by boat. And their family probably got to where they came from by boat, except for one who was from France..

You don't need a boat to get there.
TaraLovesLiam On March 02, 2014

Portlaoise, Ireland
#27New Post! Jun 25, 2011 @ 03:01:39
My dad's side of the family is English my mum's is French.
PerlaDelMar On June 02, 2014

New York, New York
#28New Post! Jan 22, 2012 @ 02:29:38
Both my parents were born in Puerto Rico. My mother's ancestors are from Spain and the Dominican Republic, while my father's ancestors are from France.

Interesting is how my eye doctor asked me if my last name(at the time I was married, now divorced) was my mother's or father's. I told him neither and gave him my family name. I asked him why, and he proceeded to tell me how I had "features" indicative of Jewish heritage. I told him that I was Puerto Rican, and there was no Jewish blood in my family that I was aware of. My doctor gave me a little history lesson about the spanish Inquisition, how many Jews have escaped into different parts of the world to escape persecution. There is a special blood test, he told me, that would include the DNA of my father to prove his blood line. What about my mother? All this is new to me.....

Most of everyone in my family is very light skinned. Only one of my sisters is darker---we used to tell her she was adopted to irritate her when we were kids. We have dark skinned people in our family that people would never suspect us of being related. Interesting....
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs