Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2
jmo On April 29, 2021
Beruset af Julebryg

Yorkshire, United Kingdom
#16New Post! Mar 15, 2011 @ 00:47:07
@shinobinoz Said

"A country with a gross domestic product of $1.2 trillion would have the 15th largest economy in the world, ranking between Canada and Indonesia, and ahead of Australia, Taiwan, the Netherlands, and Saudi Arabia."

In the councils of government, we must guard against the acquisition of unwarranted influence, whether sought or unsought, by the military-industrial complex. The potential for the disastrous rise of misplaced power exists and will persist.
Dwight D. Eisenhower

Very little of the money that is added to the official figure that you're beloved article lists is hardly related to the military at all.
shinobinoz On May 28, 2017
Stnd w Standing Rock

Wichita, Kansas
#17New Post! Mar 15, 2011 @ 00:48:14
@jmo Said

Related expenses. Expenses which aren't directly involved in national security.

The article is trying to imply that it's all being spent on secret police and the armed forces when in reality most of the spending they list is entirely reasonable and would be sad if they hadn't.

Tell me, is it the health-care of veterans or the money spent on international peace-keeping you want redeployed to education?

To me it points out that if we are going to be cutting social services, health & environment- then EVERYTHING best be on the table for equity.

Tell me, how do you jump to veterans benefits & international peace-keeping without mentioning the other areas?
Stnd w Standing Rock

Wichita, Kansas
#18New Post! Mar 15, 2011 @ 00:50:12
@jmo Said

Very little of the money that is added to the official figure that you're beloved article lists is hardly related to the military at all.

Then it should be on the potential cutting block for clarity.
SparklyKatie On March 07, 2014
\m//O_O\\m/

Sheffield, United Kingdom
#19New Post! Mar 15, 2011 @ 00:51:18
It does make me wonder how many invoices are received for work done that actually never gets done though. Not just in the US but here too.

I bet there's stacks of wasted funds in the process.
jmo On April 29, 2021
Beruset af Julebryg

#20New Post! Mar 15, 2011 @ 00:53:10
@shinobinoz Said

To me it points out that if we are going to be cutting social services, health & environment- then EVERYTHING best be on the table for equity.

Tell me, how do you jump to veterans benefits & international peace-keeping without mentioning the other areas?

You have decided to tarnish the whole concept of national security spending so that must include things which surely are a good thing. Secondly be realistic, if national security funding is cut what would be the first to go? Armed forces spending or money spent on peacekeeping and veteran benefits?

Spending on the military is extremely important. What exactly do you expect the military to do if it faces large cuts? There are wars on, international conflicts constantly, important Nuclear programmes that require upkeep, the care of employees, pensions, health-care etc etc etc.

Are you seriously suggesting that money be cut and so national security aspects of the budget have to fund itself?
Stnd w Standing Rock

Wichita, Kansas
#21New Post! Mar 15, 2011 @ 01:00:58
@jmo Said

You have decided to tarnish the whole concept of national security spending so that must include things which surely are a good thing. Secondly be realistic, if national security funding is cut what would be the first to go? Armed forces spending or money spent on peacekeeping and veteran benefits?

Spending on the military is extremely important. What exactly do you expect the military to do if it faces large cuts? There are wars on, international conflicts constantly, important Nuclear programmes that require upkeep, the care of employees, pensions, health-care etc etc etc.

Are you seriously suggesting that money be cut and so national security aspects of the budget have to fund itself?

Bake sale!

If we are going to gut the other programs these must be above board and looked at too. I have not tipped my hat as to what parts & how much. Why are you looking for problems without fully understanding the scope of things?
jmo On April 29, 2021
Beruset af Julebryg

#22New Post! Mar 15, 2011 @ 01:05:36
@shinobinoz Said

Bake sale!

If we are going to gut the other programs these must be above board and looked at too. I have not tipped my hat as to what parts & how much. Why are you looking for problems without fully understanding the scope of things?

Must I bow to your superior knowledge without having an opinion?

It is my opinion that national security spending is very important and should be ring-fenced, despite what that extremely biased article from a magazine which apologises for Islamic extremism and terrorism might have to say.

But you seem the type to read anything which supports your agenda and agree with it wholly without trying to see the flaws or biases in the argument, hence why you quote rubbish like MediaMatters so often.
Stnd w Standing Rock

Wichita, Kansas
#23New Post! Mar 15, 2011 @ 01:27:43
@jmo Said

Must I bow to your superior knowledge without having an opinion?

It is my opinion that national security spending is very important and should be ring-fenced, despite what that extremely biased article from a magazine which apologises for Islamic extremism and terrorism might have to say.

But you seem the type to read anything which supports your agenda and agree with it wholly without trying to see the flaws or biases in the argument, hence why you quote rubbish like MediaMatters so often.

What part of "everything" needs to be looked at part don't you understand?
But thanks for the personal attacks- they make my day!
crazylikeafox On June 02, 2017

McKinney, Texas
#24New Post! Mar 15, 2011 @ 05:53:29
@jmo Said

That article is incredibly biased, it uses 'National Security' as this big scary word to make it appear as if it's all evil defence spending when in reality it includes money to be spent on education and health-care of veterans and people in the armed forces who are having their college fees paid for.

You know that's a good point. I never thought of it, but I'm betting funding their college fees eats up a lot of the budget.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs