The Other Royal Wedding

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2
sister_of_mercy On March 11, 2015

London, United Kingdom
#16New Post! Mar 10, 2011 @ 01:06:49
@Jennifer1984 Said

Hmmmmm.... so, a sample of 1'006 people, out of a population of some 60+ million is clear and conclusive evidence that the majority of people in Britain don't care for the Royal Wedding, eh..?

I guess it depends who was asked. If the sample was taken in, say, Scotland then it's no surprise that the result was apathetic. A similar survey taken in, say, the Home Counties of England would produce a very different result, I dare say.

Surveys, like statistics, can be made to say anything the sponsor wants them to say.

Survey shmurvey, I say. The proof of the pudding will be in the eating. Come the day, the world will probably see pictures of a smiling, happy populace celebrating a public event that is broadly approved of by the genuine, vast majority of the public and the few malcontents who will sit at home and grumble about it will be pretty much ignored.

If you want to ignore the Royal Wedding, please feel free to do so.... that is your privilege. The rest of us are going to party and have a good time.

I rather like William. He'll make a good King one day.... whether the Scots or Welsh are part of any union by that time isn't clear, but if he only becomes King of England, then ho-hum. You go your way and we'll go ours.... and good luck to you.

I;d love to ignore the wedding. Infact I'm trying very hard to ignore the wedding. The media doesn't make it easy though, wish they'd shut up about it every now and then, give everyone a breather.

To me it's a bit like looking at somebody's holiday photos. You weren't there, have no connection to the event and yet you're being coerced into looking at them. Of course what makes it all the more annoying is that in this case none of us actually really know them anyway, yet the media is almost suffocating us to care, because it's the monarchy. If that's what you want to do then fair enough, go party in the street or whatever royalists do, eat trifle or something, just give us a bit of a break from it once in a while.

However, I must add that it's good to have some positive news on the television and in the newspapers sometimes, so in that respect it's a good thing. But you can have too much of a good thing (and I'm a grumpy sod ).
Jennifer1984 On July 20, 2022
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#17New Post! Mar 10, 2011 @ 01:07:40
@jmo Said

That sounds like a prejudice to me.

It would, wouldn't it.?

You may feel as you wish. I don't have a problem with that. But come and live in the south of England for a while, and you may get a different picture of how the Scots are perceived.

One phrase I recently heard was: "A Scotsman has such a narrow minded view of the English, that he can look at us through a keyhole, using both eyes."

Now, it wasn't me who said that...... but nobody disagreed with the speaker.

You seem to find it difficult to understand that this perception should exist, but as I pointed out in a different thread, the entire population of London would hate to have the Scotland v England football match re-instated. Why would that be..? Would not 50'000 potential customers pouring into the city with money to spend be a good thing..?

No, says London En masse not if it's Scottish football fans. Past experience has been too dreadful to ever contemplate wanting it back in the future.

Ten million Londoners can't be wrong, Geoff.

If many English people have a perception of Scots as a violent race of hooligans who despise us and seem to think that every incursion south of the border is an opportunity to recreate the battle of Bannockburn, then perhaps you might ask yourself how that came about.

Where do such feelings come from..? They don't magic themselves out of thin air, now do they..?

And then I read your messages, full of antipathy towards the Royal Family, English sport (how DARE we mention 1966..!!), how Scotland rejects government in London, the appalingly racist and anti-English "Flower of Scotland" as a national anthem, and other things..... and all that serves is to reinforce such perceptions.

Many arguments..... whether you like it or not..... DO come across as based on racial antipathy directly aimed at the English for no other reason than the fact that we are English.

My only ever visit to Scotland came in 2005 when I visited Edinburgh when the G8 conference was held there, and a massive demonstration against global poverty took place. I was a guest in your city and, far from feeling welcomed, I lost count of the number of times the word "English" was followed immediately by "Bastard" when directed at anyone who was obviously...er... English. I'm afraid my Home Counties and Manda's Cornish accents were a dead giveaway.

I felt no element of hospitality. We certainly weren't welcome. There was no warmth, or friendship. At the site of the meeting, people from all over Europe gathered and seemed to be enjoying themselves.... it seems only the English were singled out for the scowling, "Go To Hell" attitude that we were treated to.

That is my experience, Geoff. I don't make these things up. If you came to Cornwall, you would be welcomed. The Cornish people..... and Londoners too.... are very welcoming people (as the world will find out next year). I'm a Londoner by birth and I've been accepted by the Kernews and have integrated into their way of life. I don't have any confidence that the same would happen if I moved to, say, Glasgow or Edinburgh.

I have no innate animosity or grudge against the Scots.... I'd rather we all got on as a united Britain, but it cannot be denied that tensions exist.... and although they are mostly historical in nature, they persist today. This is a great failing.

All I will say, is that I will challenge anyone whom I believe does my country an injustice. Feel free to criticise what we do, or how we behave, but please do it fairly and honestly...... not simply because you despise us because of who we are.

The word "English" does not necessarily have to be followed by "bastard".

Jennifer1984 On July 20, 2022
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#18New Post! Mar 10, 2011 @ 01:18:58
@sister_of_mercy Said

just give us a bit of a break from it once in a while.

How often do Royal Weddings come around, then..?

Every week..?
Every month..?

The last major royal weddings were those of Charles and Diana in 1981, and Prince Andrew and Sarah Ferguson in the mid 1980s.

It would be fair to say that there is something like 25 or so years since the last major Royal Wedding.

Not exactly a common occurrence, is it..?

Yes, it's a nine day wonder. Like all news events, today's headlines are tomorrow's chip wrappers. Most people I know who are not such ardent royalists tend to shrug their shoulders. It will come and go and life will move on.

Perhaps people would rather read of something else in the news. Perhaps a mass murderer running amok with a Kalashnikov rifle.? How about a good old flood where thousands are made homeless...? Would that be better viewing..? How about the Air Force firing a depleted uranium missile into a hospital full of Afghan children. yeah.... that should cheer everybody up..?

Perish the thought that a wedding might be a "Good news" story that takes people away from the awful events in the world, and spreads a little happiness for a short while.

No.... that will never do, will it..?

xRuby_Kissesx On June 14, 2011

Deleted

Sailing the high seas..., Unit
#19New Post! Mar 10, 2011 @ 01:22:58
WOW!
Scots are welcome in Cornwall!
Ever tried to pay for a cream tea there with a Scottish tenner?

London, United Kingdom
#20New Post! Mar 10, 2011 @ 01:23:48
@Jennifer1984 Said

How often do Royal Weddings come around, then..?

Every week..?
Every month..?

The last major royal weddings were those of Charles and Diana in 1981, and Prince Andrew and Sarah Ferguson in the mid 1980s.

It would be fair to say that there is something like 25 or so years since the last major Royal Wedding.

Not exactly a common occurrence, is it..?

Yes, it's a nine day wonder. Like all news events, today's headlines are tomorrow's chip wrappers. Most people I know who are not such ardent royalists tend to shrug their shoulders. It will come and go and life will move on.

Perhaps people would rather read of something else in the news. Perhaps a mass murderer running amok with a Kalashnikov rifle.? How about a good old flood where thousands are made homeless...? Would that be better viewing..? How about the Air Force firing a depleted uranium missile into a hospital full of Afghan children. yeah.... that should cheer everybody up..?

Perish the thought that a wedding might be a "Good news" story that takes people away from the awful events in the world, and spreads a little happiness for a short while.

No.... that will never do, will it..?

If it's a 9 day story then that would be fine. Great even. 9 days would be the right amount, but unfortunately with the media so focused on the personal lives of celebrities which I suppose includes the Royal family (seems a bit strange calling them that, grouping them in with actors and the such, but there you go) the coverage goes on for a LOT longer than 9 days. We've heard almost every little detail of the wedding preparations, save for what colour underwear the bride will be wearing. It's just a bit saturated.

I think it's important to mark the wedding of someone who may one day be King, but there is a line. Not just for us as consumers of the media, but for the poor people too. It must be awful to have to put up with the press constantly in your face, especially if you've been born into it so haven't exactly had the option to avoid it in the first place.
jmo On April 29, 2021
Beruset af Julebryg

Yorkshire, United Kingdom
#21New Post! Mar 10, 2011 @ 01:26:31
@Jennifer1984 Said

It would, wouldn't it.?

You may feel as you wish. I don't have a problem with that. But come and live in the south of England for a while, and you may get a different picture of how the Scots are perceived.

One phrase I recently heard was: "A Scotsman has such a narrow minded view of the English, that he can look at us through a keyhole, using both eyes."

You seem to find it difficult to understand that this perception should exist, but as I pointed out in a different thread, the entire population of London would hate to have the Scotland v England football match re-instated. Why would that be..? Would not 50'000 potential customers pouring into the city with money to spend be a good thing..?

No, says London En masse not if it's Scottish football fans. Past experience has been too dreadful to ever contemplate wanting it back in the future.

If many English people have a perception of Scots as a violent race of hooligans who despise us and seem to think that every incursion south of the border is an opportunity to recreate the battle of Bannockburn, then perhaps you might ask yourself how that came about.

Where do such feelings come from..? They don't magic themselves out of thin air, now do they..?

And then I read your messages, full of antipathy towards the Royal Family, English sport (how DARE we mention 1966..!!), how Scotland rejects government in London, the appalingly racist and anti-English "Flower of Scotland" as a national anthem, and other things..... and all that serves is to reinforce such perceptions.

Many arguments..... whether you like it or not..... DO come across as based on racial antipathy directly aimed at the English for no other reason than the fact that we are English.

My only ever visit to Scotland came in 2005 when I visited Edinburgh when the G8 conference was held there, and a massive demonstration against global poverty took place. I was a guest in your city and, far from feeling welcomed, I lost count of the number of times the word "English" was followed immediately by "Bastard" when directed at anyone who was obviously...er... English. I'm afraid my Home Counties and Manda's Cornish accents were a dead giveaway.

I felt no element of hospitality. We certainly weren't welcome. There was no warmth, or friendship. At the site of the meeting, people from all over Europe gathered and seemed to be enjoying themselves.... it seems only the English were singled out for the scowling, "Go To Hell" attitude that we were treated to.

That is my experience, Geoff. I don't make these things up. If you came to Cornwall, you would be welcomed. The Cornish people..... and Londoners too.... are very welcoming people (as the world will find out next year). I'm a Londoner by birth and I've been accepted by the Kernews and have integrated into their way of life. I don't have any confidence that the same would happen if I moved to, say, Glasgow or Edinburgh.

I have no innate animosity or grudge against the Scots.... I'd rather we all got on as a united Britain, but it cannot be denied that tensions exist.... and although they are mostly historical in nature, they persist today. This is a great failing.

All I will say, is that I will challenge anyone whom I believe does my country an injustice. Feel free to criticise what we do, or how we behave, but please do it fairly and honestly...... not simply because you despise us because of who we are.

So essentially you do have a problem with the Scots, hence bringing it up in this thread out of absolutely nowhere, and you assume that Scots have a problem with the English (despite in your reply citing an example where certain English people have a problem with Scots).

I've got a lot of problems with your post but as it's 1 in the morning I'm just going to focus on what you said which actually involves me rather than your stereotyped view of what Scots are apparently like.

"And then I read your messages, full of antipathy towards the Royal Family, English sport (how DARE we mention 1966..!!), how Scotland rejects government in London, the appalingly racist and anti-English "Flower of Scotland" as a national anthem, and other things..... and all that serves is to reinforce such perceptions."

First the Royal Family. I am apathetic towards the Royal Family. That isn't because they are English or anything else but because I just don't want to spend my time cooing over two people I don't know get married just because one of them is in line to become an unelected head of state.

As for English Sport I generally regard England as Scotland's historical rivals with regards to Sport. I don't hate the English because of it but it's a rivalry myself and many Scots and even many English people enjoy.

As for rejecting the 'government in London' (or as I tend to call it; The Government) that's because it is a Tory led coalition which I disagree with politically and philosophically. Not because it is based in London. That's a political thing.

As for the 'Flower of Scotland' I think if you actually read my posts regarding that song I completely disagree with it being Scotland's national anthem, for the very fact I think it harps on about age old battles against England. I don't know what you are referring to with that as I can't stand the song or the message. I've long argued on this site (and I believe in a discussion with yourself just a few months ago) that Scotland the Brave should be our song.

I like Scotland and I like being Scottish, I like our culture, I like the cities, I like the football, rugby, cricket and elephant polo teams. I like the nuances and the strange things we are proud of.

I also like England and most English people I know.

Please don't paint all Scots and Scottish attitudes based on a few ignorant people who you claim called you an English bastard. I'm especially surprised that happened in Edinburgh considering a third of the population of Edinburgh are English born.

London, United Kingdom
#22New Post! Mar 10, 2011 @ 01:31:39
@Jennifer1984 Said

It would, wouldn't it.?

Oh, speaking as a southerner, the only tensions I've ever heard of between Scotland and England these days is the one between you and JMO on here. You have a point about the aggressive Scottish stereotype, but people don't actually think that, just like Americans (hopefully) don't think we're all polite and speak like Mary Poppins and have wonky teeth. The Scots I've met have been grumpy, but I think that had more to do with their personality (or lackthereof) rather than their nationality.

And living in London I haven't found many people to be that welcoming. Perhaps I'm living in the wrong part of town, it is a big city afterall.

If you've had a bad experience then obviously you're going to base some of your opinion on that. But not everyone in Edinburgh or Glasgow is aggressive and violent, just like not everyone in London is cold and unwelcoming.

The Cornish do make me laugh though. I love them but all I ever hear is them trying to get recognised as their own country, which just sounds bizarre. But that's offtopic.
someone_else On August 30, 2012
Not a dude.

Deleted

American Alps, Washington
#23New Post! Mar 10, 2011 @ 01:52:59
@sister_of_mercy Said

You have a point about the aggressive Scottish stereotype, but people don't actually think that, just like Americans (hopefully) don't think we're all polite and speak like Mary Poppins and have wonky teeth.

drummerwannabe On June 17, 2019
Travel Junkie

In a drum.., Minnesota
#24New Post! Mar 10, 2011 @ 02:18:46
@xRuby_Kissesx Said

WOW!
Scots are welcome in Cornwall!

Scots are welcome in the U.S. too.
xRuby_Kissesx On June 14, 2011

Deleted

Sailing the high seas..., Unit
#25New Post! Mar 10, 2011 @ 02:27:16
@drummerwannabe Said

Scots are welcome in the U.S. too.

Woohoo!!!
Cornwall, America, and we rock as a nation at elephant polo, what more could I really ask for?
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs