The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums: Politics:
Gender Issues

Should women be honest about plans to start a family during job interviews?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3
drummerwannabe On June 17, 2019
Travel Junkie

In a drum.., Minnesota
#31New Post! Mar 08, 2011 @ 18:31:33
It's illegal here. I would be offended and walk out of an interview if I was asked that. It's none of their business.

There are jobs that you can't do while pregnant, but for my area of work it doesn't matter since I sit down all day.
treebee On April 13, 2015
Government Hooker

London, United Kingdom
#32New Post! Mar 08, 2011 @ 21:54:00
@SparklyKatie Said

No they don't get as much time as women.

I recently had an e-mail from the employment solicitors the local medical committee use letting us know that under EU laws pretty soon paternity leave will be as long as maternity leave. This means that a woman can go right back to work as soon as physcially able leaving dad to give the first 6 weeks care fully paid.
ninozara On April 30, 2020

Cheshire, United Kingdom
#33New Post! Mar 09, 2011 @ 00:29:28
@SparklyKatie Said

Yeah I thought so, I was shocked when I heard about 30,000 women a year are (illegally) sacked in the UK for getting pregnant.

I can imagine that being true. My friend was sacked for getting pregnant, and the acting manager said it was for 'health and safety' reasons (she was a waitress). My friend did get her job back (and that manager was sacked), but she'd lost the baby by then - and she does blame part of that on the stress of losing her job

If they ask women, they should also ask men. Traditionally, the mother gets a longer maternity leave (26 weeks to the men's 2 weeks), but a man has a right to that 26 weeks also if he is the sole career - so could end up taking just as long off.(Think that is how it works anyway Paternity Leave )

But even if people were honest about what they plan, that doesn't mean that will happen. Someone planning a family might not get it, and someone not planning it might do - so it's all a bit silly anyway. Perspective employee's should ask if the company plans on expanding or reducing employee numbers in the next few years.
judgetk On March 14, 2011

Hawley, Pennsylvania
#34New Post! Mar 09, 2011 @ 23:32:33
@SparklyKatie Said

I think it's illegal to ask that.

It is but if they ask you and you refuse to answer because its illegal, you are not getting the job.
Best answer: My doctor says I'm sterile and my husband and I agree that we would never adopt. Then if you get the job and later get pregnant it was an accident. I thought I was sterile so we did't use birth control. If they can ask you illegal questions, you can lie. The trick is to lie well.
kebab_boy On April 05, 2011

Bristol, United Kingdom
#35New Post! Mar 23, 2011 @ 23:10:49
Well ideally men and women would get the same amount of leave, and there would then be no problem with employers asking such questions to women because they'd be asking blokes as well, and it would get rid of this nonsense about 'women tend to stay home to look after the baby while the men go out to work' once and for all. But Clearly there are nevertheless sound reasons for asking it because you don't want people saying they're going to have children after a few weeks at the office so they still get paid even though they've not done much work yet, and if a woman does that then, at present at least, that's going to be more costly for the employer. So I do think the employers should be allowed to ask it, although it might not get them very far because if you were going to cheat your employer by going on maternity really quickly then you probably wouldn't be silly enough to admit it. No one's saying you've got to be honest, your personal life is your personal life. And even if you are honest, it's their reaction which is the most important thing.
Grasshopper On January 11, 2023
Just me.

Fort Collins, Colorado
#36New Post! Mar 23, 2011 @ 23:13:44
NOOO! Keep her mouth shut!! With todays economy, they don't have time for that!
YesMasterandMistress On April 20, 2011

#37New Post! Apr 11, 2011 @ 19:28:17
I know, in the US Army, women get 45 days before they return to duty and are deployable. Men have to take vacation.
boobagins On August 03, 2013
SPICY HOT TAMALES

Astral Weeks, Florida
#38New Post! Oct 14, 2011 @ 16:04:35
Hey, my bosses keep asking me when I'll have a little one.

I'm the youngest where I work but luckily there is one guy above me who is older. He'll get more flack before I do.
boobagins On August 03, 2013
SPICY HOT TAMALES

Astral Weeks, Florida
#39New Post! Oct 14, 2011 @ 16:13:04
I really don't mind them asking. I mean, there are jobs that need you to be there for certain period of time, at certain times, to travel etc. I mean, if just a regular 9-5 job, no, but if the job is different in scope, then they should ask, especially if you're contracted instead of salaried.
DorkySupergirl On November 02, 2017

, Canada
#40New Post! Oct 14, 2011 @ 17:21:51
This is what we get where I live...

Maternity benefits are when you are pregnant and can't work or have just given birth. You get 15 weeks paid by unemployment. You can take your weeks up to 8 weeks before the child is born. This is just applicable to women.

We have paternity benefits. This is for men and women and you get paid for 35 weeks and is for adoptive or biological parents.

Both parents do not seem to be allowed to take it off at the same time, one of them can have all 35 weeks or they can split it up half and half but no taking it both at the same time.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs