The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums:
Religion & Philosophy

Why does God hate the sinner and love the sin?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
GreatestIam2 On January 06, 2023

Ottawa, Canada
#1New Post! Feb 12, 2011 @ 01:50:21
Why does God hate the sinner and love the sin?

My premise is rather simple. God, if the above were not true, would not give infinite punishment for a finite sin and that hell is definitely against this scripture.

Romans 12:21 Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Hell is definitely not overcoming evil with good. Hell is an evil place and if God somehow uses it to overcome evil, he is reversing the interpretation of this quote.

I know that scripture says that God loves the sinner and hates the sin. I have reversed this to opposite way but to read it or believe it as written in scripture would be a tad silly I think.

If God loves the sinner and hates the sin then one would expect that the sin would have God?s wrath and that the sinner would keep God?s love.

The opposite is of course what happens.

The sinner is the one that god shows his wrath to when he sends him or he to hell.
Sin, what God supposedly hates, and presumably in Satan?s control, are left to go about creating a hell penalty for the next bath of sinners that God loves yet consigns to hell.

Something is either wrong with God, the notion that he loves sinners and hates sin or my view that god hates what he punishes and that is the sinners that he is said to love.

I admit that I could be wrong and invite you to straighten out my thinking if you think me wrong. Just show where my logic is taking the wrong turn please.

As I have tried to show; to read the quotes and scripture as written is illogical. Reversing them seems to make more logical sense.
Let us reason together.

Should I read them as given in scripture or should I reverse them to make logical sense?

Regards
DL
BozieFozie On May 19, 2022
Life's a Beach

Paradise, Florida
#2New Post! Feb 12, 2011 @ 02:18:14
Reverse them, please, because I don't know where Aquine went but then it may become a beacon to lure him back in!!!
Willi On August 21, 2018

northinmind,
#3New Post! Feb 12, 2011 @ 04:18:09
i love my kids, i hate if they lie
Jennifer1984 On July 20, 2022
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#4New Post! Feb 12, 2011 @ 05:48:57
I think your logic is credible.... you display a very 21st century line of thinking.

The Holy Bible displays the thinking of its time... that is, post Bronze Age.... this is because it was written by men, not by God himself. OK, I know the religionists will say that the men who wrote the bible did so "with the Holy Spirit upon them", which, they say, as good as makes it the word of God.

How convenient.

But... and here's the rub.... don't you think that if God were really using human beings merely as a conduit for his own doctrine, then shouldn't he have prompted them to display a more compassionate, more intellectually advanced line of thinking...?

The Prophets wrote of God's wrath because the use of violence, threats and intimidation were what they knew within the realms of their experience.... their LIFE experience.

I find it difficult to believe that a supreme entity, having prompted humans to do his bidding, would not then ensure that what they wrote on his behalf would be what he intended to say. If he had intended to convey his love, then you would think his message would be one of enlightenment, affection and devotion rather than domination by fear.

The Bible reads as if it is written by dominant, forceful personalities attempting to indoctrinate the people by a form of "carrot and stick". Follow me and do as I say, and it is all pie-in-the-sky-when-you-die. Go your own way and you'll burn in hell for all eternity.

That, ladies and gentlemen, is an all too human tactic.

deal1 On May 06, 2011
SECRET SQUIRREL

not of this earth,
#5New Post! Feb 12, 2011 @ 08:57:00
@Jennifer1984 Said

I think your logic is credible.... you display a very 21st century line of thinking.

The Holy Bible displays the thinking of its time... that is, post Bronze Age.... this is because it was written by men, not by God himself. OK, I know the religionists will say that the men who wrote the bible did so "with the Holy Spirit upon them", which, they say, as good as makes it the word of God.

How convenient.

But... and here's the rub.... don't you think that if God were really using human beings merely as a conduit for his own doctrine, then shouldn't he have prompted them to display a more compassionate, more intellectually advanced line of thinking...?

The Prophets wrote of God's wrath because the use of violence, threats and intimidation were what they knew within the realms of their experience.... their LIFE experience.

I find it difficult to believe that a supreme entity, having prompted humans to do his bidding, would not then ensure that what they wrote on his behalf would be what he intended to say. If he had intended to convey his love, then you would think his message would be one of enlightenment, affection and devotion rather than domination by fear.

The Bible reads as if it is written by dominant, forceful personalities attempting to indoctrinate the people by a form of "carrot and stick". Follow me and do as I say, and it is all pie-in-the-sky-when-you-die. Go your own way and you'll burn in hell for all eternity.

That, ladies and gentlemen, is an all too human tactic.

Yea, the early RCC really screwed it up, didn't they?
They had the monopoly on Christianity, and everyone who disagreed with them was branded as a heretic and burned at the stake...bastards.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs