News & Current Events

Petition aims to ban sale of animals at area pet stores

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Grasshopper On January 11, 2023
Just me.

Fort Collins, Colorado
#1New Post! Feb 05, 2011 @ 22:35:54
"A petition drive aimed at putting a proposal on the April municipal ballot that would ban the sale of animals at Fort Collins pet stores is short of the number of signatures needed to advance the measure.

Petitions filed by proponents of the sale ban last week were 1,135 signatures short of the 2,517 needed to get an amendment to city code regarding animal sales before city voters...."
https://www.coloradoan.com/article/20110205/NEWS01/102050360/Petition-aims-to-ban-sale-of-animals-at-area-pet-stores

I know it's not going to be put into effect, but I find this interesting. That's kind of the point of petstores...

Opinions?
eternus_somnium On April 14, 2021
clinically crackers

, United States (general)
#2New Post! Feb 05, 2011 @ 22:37:33
Er... I don't really see the point in this. I mean where would you get them, just people who breed the animals? What about fish? I've gotten all my fish in pet stores, I don't know anyone who sells fish from their home or anything.
Grasshopper On January 11, 2023
Just me.

Fort Collins, Colorado
#3New Post! Feb 05, 2011 @ 22:46:57
@eternus_somnium Said

Er... I don't really see the point in this. I mean where would you get them, just people who breed the animals? What about fish? I've gotten all my fish in pet stores, I don't know anyone who sells fish from their home or anything.

Yea seriously. To me it seems way unsessesary. And how are the store's gonna make their money? And of the stores I've seen, the animals are treated quite well. Even the feeder rats.
clinically crackers

#4New Post! Feb 05, 2011 @ 22:51:00
@Grasshopper Said

Yea seriously. To me it seems way unsessesary. And how are the store's gonna make their money? And of the stores I've seen, the animals are treated quite well. Even the feeder rats.

Well there are always the supplies to sell, not just the animals. But I know there are a few stores around here that would go out of business if something like that happened. Several of my fish came from a store that sells exclusively fish. Sure there are some supplies but it's mostly just tanks and tanks of fish.
sTreetAngeL On January 24, 2022
root tedt ree

in a paradox,
#5New Post! Feb 05, 2011 @ 22:53:54
@eternus_somnium Said

Well there are always the supplies to sell, not just the animals. But I know there are a few stores around here that would go out of business if something like that happened. Several of my fish came from a store that sells exclusively fish. Sure there are some supplies but it's mostly just tanks and tanks of fish.

I didn't notice any fish on that list...Also, I think this just applied to the Fort Collins area.
clinically crackers

#6New Post! Feb 05, 2011 @ 23:02:31
@sTreetAngeL Said

I didn't notice any fish on that list...Also, I think this just applied to the Fort Collins area.

I know it only applies to Fort Collins, hence why I said IF something like that happened, and meant if it happened here.

And I didn't read the link as I thought it was a direct link to the petition, that there wasn't really much info on it. Still, there are pet stores in my area that would lose a lot of business if they couldn't sell animals.
vekta On November 18, 2013

#7New Post! Feb 05, 2011 @ 23:20:39
@eternus_somnium Said

There are people who do it but they're not easy to find. Things like fish I would go to a pet store for. Getting fish from breeders would jack the price of aquarium fish through the roof. As it is they're for people that are really into it and looking for something...special I guess.

$10-$40 for a freagin Betta plus the shipping? Not fer me thanks.
clinically crackers

#8New Post! Feb 05, 2011 @ 23:26:51
@vekta Said

There are people who do it but they're not easy to find. Things like fish I would go to a pet store for. Getting fish from breeders would jack the price of aquarium fish through the roof. As it is they're for people that are really into it and looking for something...special I guess.

$10-$40 for a freagin Betta plus the shipping? Not fer me thanks.

Yeah, it seems it would make things really difficult for people who did want pets.. guess it's good they're not including fish here.

I can see the pros and cons here but I think I'd rather pet stores be allowed to sell pets, and there simply be stricter measures on them and how they treat the animals rather than the potential pet owners.
vekta On November 18, 2013

#9New Post! Feb 05, 2011 @ 23:39:34
@eternus_somnium Said

Yeah, it seems it would make things really difficult for people who did want pets.. guess it's good they're not including fish here.

I can see the pros and cons here but I think I'd rather pet stores be allowed to sell pets, and there simply be stricter measures on them and how they treat the animals rather than the potential pet owners.

The only beef I have with pet stores is the ones that sell puppies and cats and keep them on display in the window, sitting in little cages. There was only one pet store that did it in a humane way.

They had the dogs in a big indoor play pen type thing. The cats were in a separate "cat room".
white_swan53 On October 07, 2020

n/a, New Mexico
#10New Post! Feb 06, 2011 @ 00:16:34
A learning experience . I bet this is a real comfort to the pet store owners (sarcasm).
What makes these collage kids think that local pet stores are the only ones that sell 'puppy mill' pups? If by some fluke they actually get this passed , the breeders will just take their puppies to the next town down the road.

Quote:
The proposal is intended to take the pet-store market away from puppy mills and kitten factories that breed pets in inhumane conditions, Molitor said.
The ban would apply to the sale of cats and dogs and other small animals, including amphibians, birds, rodents, rabbits and ferrets.

Is it just me , or does it sound like these collage kids are confused and have way to much free time?
hoppy On August 27, 2013

#11New Post! Feb 06, 2011 @ 01:21:18
Another case of critter huggers running amok.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs