The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums: Health & Fitness:
Mental Health

Face in the Hole puts smiles on Some Special Children

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
ReAdSaLoT On September 23, 2019

#1New Post! Jan 20, 2011 @ 08:54:41
When I lost my hair from an illness, two years ago, I wish I had known about face in the hole. Instead, I wore wigs that are hot and uncomfortable and many scarves. Many times I just went out bald and accepted the stares. Recently I lost a child (38) to cancer; she had lost her hair and coped pretty well. One thing that gave her pleasure when she could no longer get out of the house, was Face in the hole.
I don't advocate trying to be someone that you aren't, but it raised her spirits and left her feeling a bit "normal" for awhile. It's fun, harmless and when your world is crashing around you a great distraction.
When you make rude comments about other people, they always get back to the said attackee. I don't care, I've found a very good use for Face in the Hole. Something good came out of personal tragedy.
I've been fighting a cold, but the dr. gave me permission to go visit the "special" children today. These children have many different types of disabilities(differences) from missing limbs, lost hair, wheel chair bound etc.
Today, with a pic of their face, they could become Sleeping Beauty,
Ninjas, Batman, whatever they wanted. We sent each child home with a picture and a smile. Don't get me wrong, these are intelligent kids and they know the truth about themselves. It was nice to hear them giggle and smile as they escaped for just awhile. Isn't it human nature to want to make the best of our looks? Why else do they make hair dye, makeup, wigs and costumes? They went home with smiles on their faces and so did I.
Everybody needs self esteem.
sTreetAngeL On January 24, 2022
root tedt ree

in a paradox,
#2New Post! Jan 20, 2011 @ 16:38:54
Great points jazz.
It made me smile to think about the kids, and their faces at seeing themselves as their favorite movie characters.
I love the site myself, but never thought of it like that, to be used for healing thoughts. - how ever small or brief.

It must have felt great to make them feel good. Not easy to do, for one in such a state of mind as theirs.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs