Forums:
Random

Sick Days - how do you manage this?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Electric_Banana On 44 minutes ago

, New Zealand
#1New Post! Jan 09, 2011 @ 08:24:31
I've got a seriously strange problem tonight. I'm burning up inside like I have a high temp, earlier I was dizzy and had to lay in bed. Right now I'm sitting up with it and the fever is actually making me feel more alert right now for some reason.

Tomorrow the fever could break into a full on head cold or flu. That's usually how this works OR tomorrow I could wake up and the fever will have subsided and I will feel all spry and bright.

Problem is, I wake up an hour and a half before work starts and nothing makes the day more difficult on your employer than forcing them to have to find a replacement at the last second.

I called out for tomorrow at 8pm tonight. If I'm feeling fine and dandy in the morning, I'm going to feel like a real prick because it's going to be a full eight hours of bling gone down the drain.

What would you have done?
hoppy On August 27, 2013

#2New Post! Jan 09, 2011 @ 14:39:43
Dunno. I've seldom took days off because I was sick. Took lots of days off work because everything was right for a great day hunting or fishing. I had a pretty lenient boss then.
sTreetAngeL On January 24, 2022
root tedt ree

in a paradox,
#3New Post! Jan 09, 2011 @ 15:53:55
I think I would have pushed myself to go in anyway; and if you still felt bad, they would have let you leave. At least they would have seen you put in the effort.
ninozara On April 30, 2020

Cheshire, United Kingdom
#4New Post! Jan 09, 2011 @ 15:58:52
I don't know what you do, but I always rang in the morning. We never got someone in from outside the office to replace people, everyone else would just pull together to cover the work that needed immediate attention.

If someone was on long term sick leave, it was more complicated, but we still rarely got a replacement in

We've even had times where someone would call in sick in the morning and feel better by afternoon and come in
DorkySupergirl On November 02, 2017

, Canada
#5New Post! Jan 09, 2011 @ 19:10:52
If it is something that can be passed to other workers, best to stay home. I hate when infectious people go into work and make others sick. If its just feeling a bit bad but not infectious, I would have gone into work. If it was me feeling like if I moved, I would vomit and was really bad off, I would have called in sick.
Wingsy On November 26, 2023
wingsdillialicious!

Wingsville,
#6New Post! Jan 09, 2011 @ 20:32:37
I was told by more than one doctor that you should be fever-free for 24 hours before returning to work/school. So even if you're feeling better, giving yourself the little extra time isn't a bad thing. Just get plenty of rest to make sure you don't end up sick all over again.
DiscordTiger On December 04, 2021
The Queen of Random

Administrator

Emerald City, United States (g
#7New Post! Jan 09, 2011 @ 20:53:26
depending on what day of the week it was. (Sundays I really am primary staff, I don't show up, we don't open. Not opening is not an option.)

Anyway one of those days, If I felt really really bad the night before I'd call in then, so that there would be a back up plan, if I got up and felt fine, I'd call my replacement and say nevermind I'm good, and go in anyway.

Though in almost 15 years, I've missed one of those days, and that was the day after my husband was admitted in the ER. I worked through the first days my own kidney infection. Because its that much of a hassle to get a replacement. The rest of the days, its easier and there are more people that can be called in, to cover or there is already double coverage.
GSnap On March 02, 2019

Over the Rainbow,
#8New Post! Jan 09, 2011 @ 20:55:17
@DorkySupergirl Said

If it is something that can be passed to other workers, best to stay home. I hate when infectious people go into work and make others sick. If its just feeling a bit bad but not infectious, I would have gone into work. If it was me feeling like if I moved, I would vomit and was really bad off, I would have called in sick.

I agree. We have a lot of people who come into work sick, and I'd really rather they stay home, especially since we all have the ability to work from home in these types of situations.
GSnap On March 02, 2019

Over the Rainbow,
#9New Post! Jan 09, 2011 @ 20:57:55
@Electric_Banana Said

I've got a seriously strange problem tonight. I'm burning up inside like I have a high temp, earlier I was dizzy and had to lay in bed. Right now I'm sitting up with it and the fever is actually making me feel more alert right now for some reason.

Tomorrow the fever could break into a full on head cold or flu. That's usually how this works OR tomorrow I could wake up and the fever will have subsided and I will feel all spry and bright.

Problem is, I wake up an hour and a half before work starts and nothing makes the day more difficult on your employer than forcing them to have to find a replacement at the last second.

I called out for tomorrow at 8pm tonight. If I'm feeling fine and dandy in the morning, I'm going to feel like a real prick because it's going to be a full eight hours of bling gone down the drain.

What would you have done?

Can you just still go in if you feel better in the morning? Just tell them that the way you felt last night you thought it would continue, but that you woke up feeling fine so you decided to come in?

But if you have had a fever, even if you feel like bouncing off the walls in the morning, I would do your team a favor and stay home, because you are still infectious for a little bit after that fever wears off. The following day if you still feel fine that would be the best time to go in.
jmo On April 29, 2021
Beruset af Julebryg

Yorkshire, United Kingdom
#10New Post! Jan 09, 2011 @ 21:05:45
I'd go with calling up the night before personally. I mean it's a nightmare at our work when people are sick and we don't have notice to get someone in to cover it.
Electric_Banana On 44 minutes ago

, New Zealand
#11New Post! Jan 10, 2011 @ 00:44:57
It turns out that I made a good choice. Fever still hasn't broken into a runny nose this morning but whatever is going on kept me wired so that I couldn't fall asleep until 6am.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs