The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums: Relationships:
Friendships

How do you know when someone truly cares about you, when thier actions say someth

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
petitegirl On January 14, 2011

Anchorage, Alaska
#1New Post! Jan 02, 2011 @ 09:27:46
There is someone who is willing to help me with alot of my insecurities that I have been dealing with over the past few years. She is someone who i respect, but only to a certain point. She has trashed me to other people, yet tells me that she cares about me, and wants to help me. Oddly enough, i think she does care... I mentioned to her that i felt very hurt, that she would trash me to others - she basically told me to get over it. This lady by nature is a little "tough cookie", yet she means well. I know that she wants to help me, but her girlfriend is throwing a fit !!! I guess it is strange that this woman would consider helping me after all the bad things that she has said about me. Okay, okay, so the girlfriend is jealous and is trashing me too... All things considered, this lady in Miami, is special to me, she has taught me to think differently and has encouraged me to get off my butt and go to the gym. Please tell me your thoughts, America, I am very confused by all of this!!!! Should I accept this womans help or find someone else to help me?
white_swan53 On October 07, 2020

n/a, New Mexico
#2New Post! Jan 02, 2011 @ 10:02:23
I'm wondering if you are really asking for advise or actually answering your own question. maybe a bit of both.
It really sounds to me that you already know how far and how much your 'tough cookie' friend can be trusted. and it also sounds like you have a pretty good handle on your personal issues, maybe it would be better for you to just keep dealing and handling your self and let your friend do the same for herself and her girlfriends. but what do I know anyways ? Good luck . oh and welcome to TFS.
ReAdSaLoT On September 23, 2019

#3New Post! Jan 02, 2011 @ 10:23:30
@white_swan53 Said

I'm wondering if you are really asking for advise or actually answering your own question. maybe a bit of both.
It really sounds to me that you already know how far and how much your 'tough cookie' friend can be trusted. and it also sounds like you have a pretty good handle on your personal issues, maybe it would be better for you to just keep dealing and handling your self and let your friend do the same for herself and her girlfriends. but what do I know anyways ? Good luck . oh and welcome to TFS.

Agree, tread carefully, she sounds a bit difficult.
petitegirl On January 14, 2011

Anchorage, Alaska
#4New Post! Jan 03, 2011 @ 21:58:37
I thought about this... there are plenty of people out there who are willing to help others if they just ask. I would rather have someone help me that I am comfortable around, who is willing to help me regardless of my faults and without trashing me behind my back. I am grateful that she has taught me to think differently -- eat better, go to the gym, etc.. I saw her picture, the other day and it reminded me of her willingness to help... Anyways, just venting!!!!
Rehabilitation_Please On May 20, 2016
Has Tiger Blood

Peterborough, United Kingdom
#5New Post! Jan 03, 2011 @ 22:17:10
I don't want to sound like an arse but if she really cared for you she wouldn't trash you, that is not the done thing should she have this caring nature you talk of.

To me it seems she is playing with your insecurities by trashing you and saying she cares.
kaydoh On December 19, 2011

nottingham, United Kingdom
#6New Post! Jan 04, 2011 @ 00:29:20
I really hope I don't come across as a complete b**** but it might be worth pointing out that sometimes even your closest friends buckle under the weight of someone who is too needy. There is nothing wrong with turning to a friend for support and guidance it's only natural but when the balance shifts too much it can lead to problems.

One of the things I have learnt about friendship over the last 37 years is that you can have far too high expectations from friends. You need to learn to self serve with the smaller stuff and reach out only when you need to. If you feel this person isn't being a true friend then back away but ask yourself how much positive stuff you are adding to the mix. If the balance is good then maintain your friendship if it isn't then cast off the dead wood in your life and move on.

Good luck
someone_else On August 30, 2012
Not a dude.

Deleted

American Alps, Washington
#7New Post! Jan 04, 2011 @ 00:37:22
@petitegirl Said

There is someone who is willing to help me with alot of my insecurities that I have been dealing with over the past few years. She is someone who i respect, but only to a certain point. She has trashed me to other people, yet tells me that she cares about me, and wants to help me. Oddly enough, i think she does care... I mentioned to her that i felt very hurt, that she would trash me to others - she basically told me to get over it. This lady by nature is a little "tough cookie", yet she means well. I know that she wants to help me, but her girlfriend is throwing a fit !!! I guess it is strange that this woman would consider helping me after all the bad things that she has said about me. Okay, okay, so the girlfriend is jealous and is trashing me too... All things considered, this lady in Miami, is special to me, she has taught me to think differently and has encouraged me to get off my butt and go to the gym. Please tell me your thoughts, America, I am very confused by all of this!!!! Should I accept this womans help or find someone else to help me?

I have a habit of answering questions with stories, so here's my story to you.

Once upon a time, my in-laws were 'mentoring' a young couple at their church. Every time we'd go and visit the in-laws, my m-i-l would start talking negatively about them. She would always tell us that she actually said to her "Your house is such a mess, if you don't get it cleaned up, I'm going to call CPS." and "If you were my daughter, I'd take custody of your kids". Things like that.

I felt badly for that couple because I fail to see how that is 'mentoring'. I don't think that anyone who is helping you should talk like that about you behind your back (or to your face, for that matter). It seems like they're trying to help you so they have a sense of personal achievement.

Just my two cents.
GSnap On March 02, 2019

Over the Rainbow,
#8New Post! Jan 04, 2011 @ 00:45:55
@someone_else Said

I have a habit of answering questions with stories, so here's my story to you.

Once upon a time, my in-laws were 'mentoring' a young couple at their church. Every time we'd go and visit the in-laws, my m-i-l would start talking negatively about them. She would always tell us that she actually said to her "Your house is such a mess, if you don't get it cleaned up, I'm going to call CPS." and "If you were my daughter, I'd take custody of your kids". Things like that.

I felt badly for that couple because I fail to see how that is 'mentoring'. I don't think that anyone who is helping you should talk like that about you behind your back (or to your face, for that matter). It seems like they're trying to help you so they have a sense of personal achievement.

Just my two cents.

Good example. Reminds me of an aunt of mine (who by the way I will not be around anymore). She wanted to always be known as the good samaritan, and don't get me wrong, she would help people - but like your in laws it was always with gossip behind the person's back she was helping, and she was very controlling, therefore in order to get her help you had to abide by her domineering ways.

So it's kind of six of one, half a dozen of the other. Do you choose to remain around someone for their help and stay victim to the gossip and/or domination? I personally chose 'no', she got on my nerves so bad I couldn't even visit her anymore. I wish her well, but i don't choose to surround myself with negative people who want to control everything I do to suit them.

petitegirl only you know if her help is worth knowing that she will malign you behind your back. If you need the help that badly then accept it comes with a price. If you can do w/out her help, i'd suggest just not being a part of her life to any serious extent. People like the woman you describe are usually control freaks. They get pleasure out of helping but often the helping is a form of controlling and very much comes with a pricetag.
Not a dude.

Deleted

#9New Post! Jan 04, 2011 @ 00:49:46
@GSnap Said

Good example. Reminds me of an aunt of mine (who by the way I will not be around anymore). She wanted to always be known as the good samaritan, and don't get me wrong, she would help people - but like your in laws it was always with gossip behind the person's back she was helping, and she was very controlling, therefore in order to get her help you had to abide by her domineering ways.

So it's kind of six of one, half a dozen of the other. Do you choose to remain around someone for their help and stay victim to the gossip and/or domination? I personally chose 'no', she got on my nerves so bad I couldn't even visit her anymore. I wish her well, but i don't choose to surround myself with negative people who want to control everything I do to suit them.

petitegirl only you know if her help is worth knowing that she will malign you behind your back. If you need the help that badly then accept it comes with a price. If you can do w/out her help, i'd suggest just not being a part of her life to any serious extent. People like the woman you describe are usually control freaks. They get pleasure out of helping but often the helping is a form of controlling and very much comes with a pricetag.

Hmmm...is your name MaryAnn? You could so easily be my m-i-l's neice.
GSnap On March 02, 2019

Over the Rainbow,
#10New Post! Jan 04, 2011 @ 00:51:10
@someone_else Said

Hmmm...is your name MaryAnn? You could so easily be my m-i-l's neice.

No, but my aunt's name is Mary.
Not a dude.

Deleted

#11New Post! Jan 04, 2011 @ 00:52:28
@GSnap Said

No, but my aunt's name is Mary.

Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others